Overqualified - rejected for honorary AP post

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
sc34389

Overqualified - rejected for honorary AP post

Post by sc34389 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:16 pm

I recently went for an interview for a honorary AP post, the interview involved a presentation and a panel discussion. I performed very well and came back feeling positive about the interview. Next day I get a call from one of the psychologists who interviewed me and gave me the news that I wasn't selected for the post. He explained that I scored the highest amongst everyone and that had this not been an Honorary post they would have hired me as a paid AP. He also encouraged that I apply for paid AP roles and for the doctorate as he thinks I have enough experience at this point to pursue both.

The problem that I have with this is, that I have applied nationwide for paid AP roles and have not been invited to any interviews. This honorary role would have been a great stepping stone for me, yet I was rejected for being overqualified...

I feel really discouraged at this point and frustrated about what to do next.

Charlie

Re: Overqualified - rejected for honorary AP post

Post by Charlie » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:07 pm

While that is obviously really disappointing, you should be encouraged by this. This feedback suggests you are in a good position for paid AP posts and it is probably your applications that need some work- have you had someone look over your AP applications? And have you tried applying for AP posts outside of the NHS? They typically get far fewer applications than NHS jobs.

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:21 pm

Indeed, look outside the NHS and you step outside most of the competition.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:44 am

I'm sorry for everyone that reads me writing this LOTS :-) but just to remind people (in capitals) HALF OF MY TRAINING COHORT HAD NEVER BEEN AN NHS AP. ALMOST HALF HAD NEVER BEEN ANY SORT OF AP.

Hope this helps. Many ways to skin a cat.

Very best of luck - try project work (substance misuses agencies, women's refuges, children's disability services), support work (supporting older adults with dementia, supporting people with additional needs), NHS management, voluntary charitable work (e.g. ChildLine, Samaritans, Saneline), and anything with the most chance of getting experience actually with people and the opportunity to attend relevant training courses.
Fail, fail again, fail better.

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:28 am

You should make it your signature, workingmama!

malcolmclayton

Post by malcolmclayton » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:36 pm

Hi

I’ve never worked as an AP but have a background in third sector substance misuse and child mental health services. This year was my second round of applying for clinical training and I was successful. I think they were looking more for what I had learned in my current and past roles rather than if I’d had a particular job role or employer. When I started the CP process I looked around and thought “What chance do I have!” but I just tried to focus on making the most out of what I could with my experience.

Good luck with your job hunt and future academic career.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:17 am

Congratulations Malcolm :)
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

malcolmclayton

Post by malcolmclayton » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:27 am

Thanks Miriam! The journey starts in exactly one week today :)