Do I have enough experience?

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
hanjenjag

Do I have enough experience?

Post by hanjenjag » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:23 pm

I understand that people cannot give be a definite answer, I am just looking for some advice...

My heart is set on becoming a Clinical Psychologist, and I am more determined and ready than I have ever been.
I have a first class degree in Counselling and Psychotherapy and have just began the Psychology conversion (MSc).
In terms of experience I have:
Community healthcare assistant - 1 year
Learning disability support worker (including classroom experience) - 1 year
Dementia unit support worker - 8 months
Mental health support worker - 2 years
Counsellor - 1 year
NHS mental healthcare assistant - 1 year
NHS Psychological assessment and therapy centre (volunteer) - 6 months

I have read so many different posts that state getting a place on the Clinpsy course is the most competitive of all, but this has not deterred me. I just want to know if anyone can recommend anything else I could do to strengthen my application (this is for 2019). I am also in the process of sorting out research experience.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
miriam
Site Admin

Re: Do I have enough experience?

Post by miriam » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:02 pm

Hard to tell as you don't give how many hours per week you did each thing for. But assuming they were all full time, the only thing you are missing is CP supervision, so I'd try to seek that out - but unless you can find someone local who needs a volunteer, it might be quite tricky to secure until after you've completed your equivalence.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Ktselle

Post by Ktselle » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:03 pm

Was your undergrad degree accredited by the BPS/ does it give you GBC? If not, you may need to complete your masters first before applying. Also, some courses may not accept you if your masters clashes with the start of the doctorate I.e. your masters ends in September 2019.

Your experience sounds great though :) I agree with seeking some kind of supervision under a clinical psych!

Amy

Post by Amy » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:59 am

Hello :)

I am also going to be applying for the 2019 doctorate and wondered about my level of experience. In summary I completed my BSc Psychology, then completed an MSc in Forensic Psychology - job wise I have had 2 support worker roles (both full time ABI and Behaviour support for LD and ASD approx. a year in each role), and I am currently an Assistant Psychologist in a community LD team (almost a year) and a volunteer researcher for the police (approx. 3 years).

After attending Lancaster's open day recently, they make it clear they do not look at the years of experience etc. someone may have rather they focus on the shortlisting tests/procedure and then their intake process is based on competencies - it may be worth looking at the universities you are wanting to apply to and seeing if they have any specific recommendations for experience required. It sounds like you have a range of great experiences though!

I am not sure if I have 'enough' experience, but I am going to be applying and trying for the first time this year too.

Best of luck!!!!

rhapsodyinred

Post by rhapsodyinred » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:59 pm

If it makes either of you feel better, I got onto the course at my first time applying without ever having worked in the NHS. Having worked in the NHS is certainly helpful, but not essential! (I feel like that doesn't get said enough...) It sounds like you both have valuable experience, though Maven brings up a good point around hours as well.
What was definitely helpful for me was having some time to speak to CPs about my practice, and being able to get feedback that made me more reflective about my experiences.

My referees were my dissertation supervisor and a CP who provided consultation for the homeless service I worked in. Having at least one qualified CP as a referee is important, I think, though not the be-all-end-all.