Counselling psychologist as a referee?

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
JB99

Counselling psychologist as a referee?

Post by JB99 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:42 am

Dear all,

I was considering applying for a new AP job, and I noticed that the clinical supervisor of the post would be a counselling psychologist. I hope to not imply any snobbery between clinical and counselling psychologists, but does anyone know whether having your nominated clinical supervisor for the DClinPsy be a counselling psychologist would make any difference to the perceived quality of your application?

I only ask because a lot of the courses specify that they want evidence of supervision from a clinical psychologist, not because I personally perceive counselling psychologists as any better or worse as therapeutic clinicians.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Northernlad

Re: Counselling psychologist as a referee?

Post by Northernlad » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:49 pm

Over the last few years I was invited to 4 interviews for 3 different courses (non selection-test courses), gained a place on training this year and never had a psychologist as a referee on my form!

rhapsodyinred

Re: Counselling psychologist as a referee?

Post by rhapsodyinred » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:01 pm

The supervisor for my first placement (Adult MH) is a counselling psychologist. I was a bit worried about it, but was reassured that in a lot of cases, jobs in the health board I'm in are advertised for either counselling or clinical psychologists! I think having a psychologist as a reference is certainly helpful, but by no means essential if the person writing the reference does so well and has given you useful supervision.