Academic Referee Guidance

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
TiaJade

Academic Referee Guidance

Post by TiaJade » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:53 am

Hi Guys!

So I submitted my application in November. First one. I received an email that my academic referee who was my supervisor during my 2017 MSc has not submitted a reference and, essentially this will slow my application down. A bit frantic I asked for another of my lecturers to do it who hasn’t replied but I’ve heard they prefer it from an academic supervisor?

Long story short I’m all a bit in a tizzy that the one thing I have little control of is the one thing slowing down my application. Is this normal for obtaining references (academic) to be so difficult? I thought mine would be easy as I graduated the MSc this year but apparently not. How long do I wait before approaching my BSc Academic Supervisor? Some of the have changed employment and email address now too. Advice would be great x

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Victoriomantic

Re: Academic Referee Guidance

Post by Victoriomantic » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:11 am

Have you been able to contact the initial referee to give them a polite nudge, and were they aware of the deadline when you first asked them? I haven't had this problem myself when I applied last year as my academic referee was very on the ball. But I'm sure it's obvious to the Clearing House that you are trying to get a reference in. I'm sure you aren't going to be the only candidate with this issue, I bet it comes up all the time.

Alice132

Post by Alice132 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:20 am

I've had a similar problem with one of my referees. I spoke to the clearing house and they said not to worry too much, applications are always released in batches if your reference is late you'll just be released in a later batch. I'd try just giving your current referee a gentle nudge and reminding them that it is now after the deadline. Hopefully they'll get on it and submit it for you :)
It would be so nice if something made sense for a change

heg124

Post by heg124 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:41 pm

I'm in a similar boat at the moment. I'm strategically emailing my academic reference at times when I know they will be on their computer... I have also been told that the Clearing House will send off your application in a later batch if your reference is not in yet.

Good luck with the polite nudging..

Tashi786

Post by Tashi786 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:32 am

Hi, I am applying to University of Birmingham and King's College in London for their doctorate program in clinical psychology. The online portal gives you an option to upload a copy of signed reference letter or the second option is that the referee will be contacted directly by the university. Which option is the best so it does not delay my application?

Android18

Post by Android18 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:44 pm

My academic reference was not submitted in time for the applications distributed to courses... :( This is despite my referee agreeing to write it and also actually asking me what to write. They said they would submit it by the end of January. But then all throughout January I heard nothing back, despite gentle prodding.

I have an experience reference submitted though. I am just wondering how likely it is to get an interview without an academic reference submitted?

ell

Post by ell » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:18 pm

I'm pretty sure your application will be significantly hindered without the academic reference, if I'm being honest. However, get on to clearing house ASAP and find out what can be done. Applications will have only just arrived with the course centres, they won't have shortlisted yet, and so you might be lucky and be able to submit the reference late. You won't be the only person this has happened to, and you won't be the last. I really hope it works out for you.

Android18

Post by Android18 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:41 pm

ell wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:18 pm
I'm pretty sure your application will be significantly hindered without the academic reference, if I'm being honest. However, get on to clearing house ASAP and find out what can be done. Applications will have only just arrived with the course centres, they won't have shortlisted yet, and so you might be lucky and be able to submit the reference late. You won't be the only person this has happened to, and you won't be the last. I really hope it works out for you.
Thank you! The clearing house staff are always so friendly and helpful. I will give that a try. If I am able to submit it late, I will probably try ringing my reference. It will probably be a bit awkward, but she's most likely just got snowed under after the Xmas break. She said she'd started writing it, so maybe she had nearly finished then forgot.

ell

Post by ell » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:02 am

Be assertive and proactive with this, as the only person who loses out is you. Phone the academic reference today, phone clearing house today.