Some Courses No Longer Accepting (GBC) Accredited PgDips

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
praxising

Some Courses No Longer Accepting (GBC) Accredited PgDips

Post by praxising » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:56 pm

I was very surprised to see that some courses no longer accept non master level BPS accredited conversion courses. This appears peculiar as the BPS has assessed these courses as reaching a standard such that their graduates can apply for GBC. I don't recall any discussion of this and am unsure of the rationale.

Thankfully, this is no longer a personal concern but it seems very unfair on those that completed a HDip in Psychology after doing a non psychology related undergrad. If I was to apply again I would no longer meet the minimum criteria for the course I graduated from.

Does anyone have any insight into what lies behind this move or if it is likely to become an increasingly common trend? Am I misinterpreting things?

On the clearing house site the current courses that have made this move are

Bath

Either a 1st or 2:1 in an undergraduate psychology degree or an undergraduate degree in another subject with a Masters level conversion course with either merit or distinction

Edinburgh

Applicants should hold a GBC-accrediting honours degree with a mean percentage mark of at least 61 or a GBC-accrediting MSc conversion degree in psychology with a mean percentage mark of at least 61.

Herts

If applicants have undertaken a PGDip conversion course, then they need to have included psychology modules on their undergraduate degree and achieved a mark equivalent to or above a 2:1 or 60% on that degree. If applicants have undertaken a masters conversion course, then they need to have achieved above 60%.

Salomons
A 1st class or 2:1 psychology degree is essential for applicants who have an undergraduate degree only. If applicants have an undergraduate degree in another subject, the class of degree attained must be 2:1 or 1st. Additionally, these applicants must have completed an accredited conversion qualification in psychology. The conversion qualification must be at Masters level. The conversion Masters must also achieve an average of 60% or above.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
mungle

Re: Some Courses No Longer Accepting (GBC) Accredited PgDips

Post by mungle » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:43 pm

I haven't heard about this but, looking at the quotes above, it seems some course are looking for the MSc conversion rather than PGDip. DO check with those such as Bath or Edinburgh who don't seem to have mentioned the PGDip. It might be that course are looking for the ability shown through a dissertation in psychology (at undergrad or masters) as research is an important component of the DClinPsy.

msamybarlow

Re: Some Courses No Longer Accepting (GBC) Accredited PgDips

Post by msamybarlow » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:40 pm

Yes this has affected me. I asked for extensive advice from Canterbury before I started my PGDip over two years ago. I didn't re read the criteria this year as assumed it was the same. However, I have met the criteria for Surrey and not Salomons on this basis.
I am very unhappy about it. I attained a 1st in my undergrad which includes psychology, I have a distinction in my PGDip.
It costs £4k for the PGDip and £8k for the masters now. Thats another £4k if I wanted to change it...