2019 Doctorate Application Progress thread

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
kined

Re: 2019 Doctorate Application Progress thread

Post by kined » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:10 am

forrest wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:20 am
Congratulations kined! Iv been offered a place in Bangor too! I thought the course and the staff were amazing, so excited! I'll maybe see you in September :D Good luck in other interviews!
Congrats to you too Forrest! How exciting!! Hope you’re celebrating this weekend! I agree, they were so helpful throughout the day and made us feel as relaxed as possible. I think I’m still gonna go to my second interview but I absolutely loved Bangor when I went :D

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
kmkmkm

Post by kmkmkm » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:58 pm

kmkmkm wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:25 pm
kmkmkm wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:25 am
Bath
Leicester
UEL (sat tests)
UCL

First time applying! Good luck everyone :D
Bath
Leicester
UEL (sat tests)
UCL

Freaking out/feeling very lucky!!!!
Bath
Leicester !!!!!!! Over the moon !!!!!!!!!
UEL (sat tests)
UCL

So excited! Need to do some serious thinking now! :D

NickZar

Post by NickZar » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:12 pm

Hello everyone,

My current situation is:

UEA
Manchester
Newcastle
Oxford (8th place)

I'm really happy about UEA and still have to hear from Newcastle (I attended the interview today). However, Oxford was always my first choice, so I was wondering if in your experience lists do manage to move down to the 8th place? This is my first time on a reserve list, so my experience is rather limited.

Also, anybody here who has been offered a place/put on a list position higher than me at Oxford and knows they're going to decline? I couldn't see any thread for reserve lists for places for this year.

Thanks! :)

buenosaires

Post by buenosaires » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:51 am

kmkmkm wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:58 pm
kmkmkm wrote:
kmkmkm wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:25 am
Bath
Leicester
UEL (sat tests)
UCL

First time applying! Good luck everyone :D
Bath
Leicester
UEL (sat tests)
UCL

Bath
UEL (sat tests)
UCL

Congratulations kmkmkm!! Would love to know a bit more about your thought process at this stage if you wouldn't mind sharing? I am in a similar position in that I have received an offer from Manchester but have two interviews to go with Cov&Warwick and Bath... didn't have a "first choice" clearly set out and trying to weigh up how to play it haha

kmkmkm

Post by kmkmkm » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:46 am

MirandaJN wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:51 am
kmkmkm wrote:
kmkmkm wrote:

Bath
Leicester
UEL (sat tests)
UCL

Bath
UEL (sat tests)
UCL

Congratulations kmkmkm!! Would love to know a bit more about your thought process at this stage if you wouldn't mind sharing? I am in a similar position in that I have received an offer from Manchester but have two interviews to go with Cov&Warwick and Bath... didn't have a "first choice" clearly set out and trying to weigh up how to play it haha
Hi Miranda, Congratulations on your offer! I also didn't have a "first choice" so I'm feeling unsure of what to do.
Yesterday I made a list of important factors in deciding where to go (e.g. proximity to family, cost of living, extra accreditation), and ranked the courses and totalled the ranks. That helped in weighing things up (Leicester ranked best) but I'm still torn as I'd prefer to live in London or Bath/Bristol... Bath is a risk for me as I'm finishing a PhD, and they require the PhD to be (basically) complete before starting, which I'm aiming for but things like my viva date, and the level of corrections I'm given are out of my control.... :( :?

My plan before was to go to all interviews regardless, just in case my situation changed by June, or if I developed a stronger preference for one course upon visiting. However...at present I've found the application process so tiring and I'm feeling burnt out, so a lot of me feels like I should accept and take care of myself before starting. My other concern is that now I have an offer (and I'm feeling burnt out) I'm not sure I've got the energy or the will to properly prepare and put my all into further interviews. Getting 2 rejections after the interview effort would suck, but I'm also scared of regret!
So basically, I feel your pain! I'd definitely say weighing up the courses by ranking them on different factors was helpful and good to refer to when uncertainty strikes! Have you had any strategies of weighing up what to do? Or thoughts on what you're going to do?

buenosaires

Post by buenosaires » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:16 pm

kmkmkm wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:46 am
MirandaJN wrote:
kmkmkm wrote:

Bath
UEL (sat tests)
UCL

Hi Miranda, Congratulations on your offer! I also didn't have a "first choice" so I'm feeling unsure of what to do.
Yesterday I made a list of important factors in deciding where to go (e.g. proximity to family, cost of living, extra accreditation), and ranked the courses and totalled the ranks. That helped in weighing things up (Leicester ranked best) but I'm still torn as I'd prefer to live in London or Bath/Bristol... Bath is a risk for me as I'm finishing a PhD, and they require the PhD to be (basically) complete before starting, which I'm aiming for but things like my viva date, and the level of corrections I'm given are out of my control.... :( :?

My plan before was to go to all interviews regardless, just in case my situation changed by June, or if I developed a stronger preference for one course upon visiting. However...at present I've found the application process so tiring and I'm feeling burnt out, so a lot of me feels like I should accept and take care of myself before starting. My other concern is that now I have an offer (and I'm feeling burnt out) I'm not sure I've got the energy or the will to properly prepare and put my all into further interviews. Getting 2 rejections after the interview effort would suck, but I'm also scared of regret!
So basically, I feel your pain! I'd definitely say weighing up the courses by ranking them on different factors was helpful and good to refer to when uncertainty strikes! Have you had any strategies of weighing up what to do? Or thoughts on what you're going to do?
Yes I was the same - as soon as I got my offer letter I thought straightaway that I would go to the other two regardless. However, now that it has sunk in I have realised that I have been really feeling the strain of the process and need to have a proper think about whether going through the stress of prep/anxiety on the day is "worth it" if that makes sense, as I do get quite affected by interview nerves.

Thank you for your advice, I did apply your approach to my situation and have decided that Cov&Warwick does rank the lowest for me based on my personal preferences, so have come to the decision to withdraw my application. Hopefully this also lets one of the ace reserve list candidates give their all to it - all around think its best solution for everybody! Jury is still out for me re Bath, it does have a lot of pull for me as I did my undergrad in Bristol, but at least I have a bit more time to chew it over.

Brilliant that Leicester ranked best for you! At least you will be happy whatever the outcome. Completely empathise with your considerations regarding location however... that was the main deciding factor for me between Cov&Warwick and Manchester. Having a bigger cohort was important for me also, as I would be moving away from my hometown of London. Only thing I would say is that maybe worth keeping Bath in the loop as we do have over a month now until that comes round so does give us a little time to decompress and put it out of our minds before gearing up again for the big day?!

kmkmkm

Post by kmkmkm » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:54 pm

MirandaJN wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:16 pm
kmkmkm wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:46 am
MirandaJN wrote:

Yes I was the same - as soon as I got my offer letter I thought straightaway that I would go to the other two regardless. However, now that it has sunk in I have realised that I have been really feeling the strain of the process and need to have a proper think about whether going through the stress of prep/anxiety on the day is "worth it" if that makes sense, as I do get quite affected by interview nerves.

Thank you for your advice, I did apply your approach to my situation and have decided that Cov&Warwick does rank the lowest for me based on my personal preferences, so have come to the decision to withdraw my application. Hopefully this also lets one of the ace reserve list candidates give their all to it - all around think its best solution for everybody! Jury is still out for me re Bath, it does have a lot of pull for me as I did my undergrad in Bristol, but at least I have a bit more time to chew it over.

Brilliant that Leicester ranked best for you! At least you will be happy whatever the outcome. Completely empathise with your considerations regarding location however... that was the main deciding factor for me between Cov&Warwick and Manchester. Having a bigger cohort was important for me also, as I would be moving away from my hometown of London. Only thing I would say is that maybe worth keeping Bath in the loop as we do have over a month now until that comes round so does give us a little time to decompress and put it out of our minds before gearing up again for the big day?!
Totally understand trying to decide whether upcoming interviews are "worth it". So tricky. I'm glad the ranking process was helpful and your decision sounds sensible; you'll be making someone on the Cov&Warwick reserve list very happy! :) Thinking about 1 potential interview rather than 2 which should be less daunting!
Very good point regarding the length of time between now and Bath's interview. You're right that we may feel quite differently by then!

JB99

Post by JB99 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:54 am

I'm also struggling with choices right now. I have an offer from UEA and an upcoming interview at Southampton. Southampton is near my partner, but UEA is right by my parents and would allow me to live at home and save for a mortgage. I also got a really great vibe from UEA. If funding gets cut (which seems to be the indication at the moment on the CH website from some course centres), this may change things a lot.

I guess step 1 for me is to give Southampton my all at interview and see whether or not I'll need to make the choice (if I'm not offered a place for example). Either way, congrats to you both for getting places! :)

Edgemo

2019 outcome from interviews at Exeter - any information?

Post by Edgemo » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:49 pm

Hello!

I attended the interview at Exeter this week and was informed that we would probably be hearing today whether we were successful or not. It occurs to me, however, that I did not get clarification of this from a faculty member and that some of the current trainees were basing this on what happened last year. Did anyone happen to get clarification of when we would be notified regarding the outcome of the interview? I need to know whether constantly checking my emails is going to be worth it today or not 8)

Punkgirluk

Re: 2019 outcome from interviews at Exeter - any information?

Post by Punkgirluk » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:18 pm

Also not sure....no information from course staff or admin- suggestion from trainees and couple of candidates who had applied last year was maybe today maybe beginning of next week 🤷‍♀️. I would also like to know when to start obsessively checking!!

buenosaires

Post by buenosaires » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:23 pm

JB99 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:54 am
I'm also struggling with choices right now. I have an offer from UEA and an upcoming interview at Southampton. Southampton is near my partner, but UEA is right by my parents and would allow me to live at home and save for a mortgage. I also got a really great vibe from UEA. If funding gets cut (which seems to be the indication at the moment on the CH website from some course centres), this may change things a lot.

I guess step 1 for me is to give Southampton my all at interview and see whether or not I'll need to make the choice (if I'm not offered a place for example). Either way, congrats to you both for getting places! :)
Thanks JB - congratulations to you as well. Torn between Manc and Bath for similar reasons, Bath closer to partner but got such a brilliant vibe from Manc when I went... like you said, think at this point its a good idea to keep options open and see how it goes/whether any decision needs to be made on the other side. Very keen to see the back of the application season though, it's just been one ball of hardcore stress for me haha!

Edgemo

Re: 2019 outcome from interviews at Exeter - any information?

Post by Edgemo » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:30 pm

Well, they are definitely letting people know today as I just received an email!!!! I got given an offer which is AWESOME!!!!!

Edgemo

Post by Edgemo » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:50 pm

Edgemo wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:53 am
Edgemo wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:19 am
Hello,

UEA
Solomons
Exeter (taken test)
Trent (taken test)

GOOD LUCK! This year is going to be a good one.
UEA
Solomons
Exeter
Trent (taken test)

Received an email from Trent yesterday, just one left to hear from now!
UEA
Solomons
Exeter
Trent (taken test)

Received an offer from Exeter today. My word what a day!!!! This is the most awesome news ever!! Now have an interview with Trent in first week of May. I'm still going to go to the interview, but my experience at Exeter was first rate and will definitely be hard to top, the staff, trainees and campus were just sublime!! Good luck to all those who are still waiting to hear news.

Punkgirluk

Post by Punkgirluk » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:31 pm

Eek!!

Exeter!!!
Salomons (had interview yesterday)
Bath
South Wales

Can’t quite believe it. Best of luck to everyone still waiting

Off to purchase some Prosecco....

Edgemo