Keeping well during DClinpsy Application

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
MindfulPsych

Keeping well during DClinpsy Application

Post by MindfulPsych » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:44 pm

Hi all,

I am just wondering how people keep themselves well during the application season? How do you keep your mind present and stop checking your emails so much!?

Although this is my second time applying.. I feel more overwhelmed and on edge than the last time I applied and I'm struggling with remaining present and keeping my wellbeing balanced!

Any ideas are gratefully received :D

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Toscapuss

Re: Keeping well during DClinpsy Application

Post by Toscapuss » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:15 pm

Other challenges/focus.
I did a marathon last year whixh took place after interviews whether I had any or not and am doing the same this year as it means I have another thing to think about that is completely unrelated to the course/process.

JB99

Post by JB99 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:27 pm

It's quite reassuring to see that I am not the only one pathologically checking my emails :lol:

I found it quite useful to look back to last year's progress thread and see when I can expect to hear back from the courses. So far, my predictions of when I would hear back have been entirely accurate; it seems that the courses keep to the same schedule every year. This means that I do not feel the need to check so furiously on off days.

That aside, I think maybe the key is just recognising when you are checking more often than perhaps is necessary (I have a quick glance every time I lose concentration from report writing, which is very often!). It might be good to challenge yourself by asking why you are checking, particularly if you're not expecting anything? I think it can become a bit of an obsessive-compulsive ritual. Aside from that, mindful psychology ;)

I similarly have been more 'on edge' than last time (it's my second time also). Perhaps we 'allow' ourselves not to get on the course the first time more so than subsequent applications, because we know that it is common not to get on first time, or at least it's normal to require two or three applications? Maybe during the second and third time, we start to place higher expectations on ourselves that "this really has to be it".

Ekorn

Post by Ekorn » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:48 am

I can relate to feeling on edge and overwhelmed during the application process. During the application process last year I felt really anxious, and constantly checked my emails. Since then I have decided to focus more on the journey and enjoying learning new skills, rather than being fixated on being offered a place. I feel less pressure this year, and it is not drastic if I don’t get in. I found it helpful to read Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist by Spatch Logan. It was easy to read, relatable, and really funny at times.

Spatch

Post by Spatch » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:12 pm

I found it helpful to read Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist by Spatch Logan. It was easy to read, relatable, and really funny at times.
Thanks for the plug and it's rewarding to hear it helped you.
I am just wondering how people keep themselves well during the application season? How do you keep your mind present and stop checking your emails so much!?
A few things I would always remind applicants around this time of year.

- Check your emails/phone once a day then move on with other (ideally non psychology related) activities.
- Think carefully how often you log onto the progress thread. It helps some people, but it just serves to make some anxious. Know which group you fit into.
- Be aware that this forum skews heavily towards those that are successful in their applications -they have more to talk about. If you don't get far don't see yourself as a failure, you are in the majority of a highly skilled and determined applicant pool.
- Swim in your own lane. I know it is hard, but never compare your progress against others. Focus on the gains you are making on a day-to-day or month-to-month level.
- Always remember that none of us "are" clinical psychology. It's one option among many. If you are good enough to be in a position to credibly be applying (i.e. good undergrad marks, decent experience) there is a hell of a lot you can do.
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/

MindfulPsych

Post by MindfulPsych » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:18 pm

Thank you all for your replies they have been super helpful! I have definitely been checking the forum a lot more than I should... and actually I've lost my mindfulness focus something I would love to get back into! I find very often I compare myself to other applicants especially those that put my academic and clinical experience down as "not being as good as them". So I'm trying hard to focus on my positive qualities.

I read the book by Spatch last year during the application season and it was very helpful indeed :D

Thanks again!

JB99

Post by JB99 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:06 pm

MindfulPsych wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:18 pm
Thank you all for your replies they have been super helpful! I have definitely been checking the forum a lot more than I should... and actually I've lost my mindfulness focus something I would love to get back into! I find very often I compare myself to other applicants especially those that put my academic and clinical experience down as "not being as good as them". So I'm trying hard to focus on my positive qualities.

I read the book by Spatch last year during the application season and it was very helpful indeed :D

Thanks again!
Try not to compare and despair :)
compair and despair.jpg
. We're very in touch with our own shortcomings (we have direct access to them!), but we can't see other peoples'. We only see the part of people that they want us to see.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:38 pm

Just bumping this excellent reminder for everyone to keep working on staying healthy during the yearly application season. We are all so much more than our jobs, and that can get lost from sight. You all matter hugely to someone (even if it is just the postman that you say hi to, or your cat). By even applying, you are in the world’s top 1% of educated individuals. You rock, people. You are (literally) made of stardust. Keep strong, keep swimming xx
Fail, fail again, fail better.