Rejected from interview due to references. Thoughts...?

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Psyfer

Rejected from interview due to references. Thoughts...?

Post by Psyfer » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:14 pm

Hello,

I just discovered I didn't get an interview from Edinburgh because of my references.

They said:

"Your References did not meet our essential minimum criteria" :shock:

I emailed the course asking which and how. (Though I don't expect a response.) I also emailed my referees and hope I can find out more about what happened.

Neither of my referees expressed any qualms about writing my references or about my work in general.

I am very upset and angry about this. It feels like a betrayal as I am generally very hard working.

I have two interviews at other courses and am really hoping they wont reject me later because of the references.

I would love to hear from anyone who has been in a similar situation or has insight from shortlisting.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
RJParker

Re: Rejected from interview due to references. Thoughts...?

Post by RJParker » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:32 pm

Courses have the right to use facutal information on references to make decisions on applications. You have a legal right (enforcable via legal action) for information provided about you to be factual and accurate just as you have the right to obtain a copy of information held by programmes about you (including references) via a subject access request.

As with everything, different programmes put more or less value (or none at all) on references.

heg124

Post by heg124 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:03 pm

Hi Psyfer,

I had the same experience this year with a different university.
I contacted the Leeds Clearing House to receive a copy of my references (or you can request them from your referee's yourself). They will contact your referee's as they have to consent to this and then send them on to you.

It might be useful to see exactly what your references have said. I was so gutted when I found out that this was the reason. I really feel like I should see what was in the references and what it is that I could potentially improve on.

RJParker

Post by RJParker » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:10 pm

Just to be clear, referees do not have to consent for you to be given a copy of a reference they have provided. You are legally able to request this and they are obliged to provide it if they hold it.

Psyfer

Post by Psyfer » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:18 pm

Thanks so much for your replies.

I will request to see the references and see what seems to be the problem.

I think Edinburgh must have looked a my reference out of context, I mean without looking at my other qualifications, and rejected me because I am ranked low in the cohort of my CBT masters.

Psyfer

Post by Psyfer » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:15 pm

Psyfer wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:18 pm
Thanks so much for your replies.

I will request to see the references and see what seems to be the problem.
Sorry that this happened to you too Heg124, I hope you got some interviews elsewhere.

The content of references is so arbitrary to the referees character so it seems mean to reject people on the basis of them alone. Also, if their is any inaccurate information in them it is too late for us anyway. You would think referees would mention that they are going to give us a bad reference so we can choose someone else.

Pencilcase123

Post by Pencilcase123 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:13 am

Hi Psyfer,

My response from Edinburgh was slightly different "Your application was not successful due to your scores on our shortlisting factors not meeting our essential minimum criteria."

I am pretty confused by this as surely the essential minimum criteria is a 2:1 and a year's work experience. I also got an interview with Edinburgh last year and submitted the exact same application this year.

Can anyone shed any light as to what this might mean?

redpanda21

Post by redpanda21 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:25 pm

Pencilcase123 - I had a similar experience this year with Essex; last year I got to interview but was unsuccessful, so within the last year I have gained more experience. I submitted a very similar application this time around (with my added experience) but did not get to interview.
It makes no sense other than the cohort just being more qualified/experienced than me overall..

As I'm sure you know, they give points for experience, grades, postgrad qualifications, etc. and they select according to these moreso than just meeting minimum criteria set out in their course information - it might just be that peoples' scores this year were higher and so they only took the top scorers.
It's SO frustrating.

heg124

Post by heg124 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:14 pm

RJParker wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:10 pm
Just to be clear, referees do not have to consent for you to be given a copy of a reference they have provided. You are legally able to request this and they are obliged to provide it if they hold it.
Thank-you for this information. I wasn't aware of this.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:51 pm

Pencilcase123 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:13 am
Hi Psyfer,

My response from Edinburgh was slightly different "Your application was not successful due to your scores on our shortlisting factors not meeting our essential minimum criteria."

I am pretty confused by this as surely the essential minimum criteria is a 2:1 and a year's work experience. I also got an interview with Edinburgh last year and submitted the exact same application this year.

Can anyone shed any light as to what this might mean?
This means that they felt you didn't meet their minimum criteria. So you will need to look at whether they have added another criterion or their wording has changed. Perhaps they now want a minimum amount of paid experience, or a a higher mark in your degree or something? But you can always ask them.
redpanda21 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:25 pm
Pencilcase123 - I had a similar experience this year with Essex; last year I got to interview but was unsuccessful, so within the last year I have gained more experience. I submitted a very similar application this time around (with my added experience) but did not get to interview.
It makes no sense other than the cohort just being more qualified/experienced than me overall..

As I'm sure you know, they give points for experience, grades, postgrad qualifications, etc. and they select according to these moreso than just meeting minimum criteria set out in their course information - it might just be that peoples' scores this year were higher and so they only took the top scorers.
It's SO frustrating.
This isn't what Edinburgh said to Pencilcase. And the thresholds are not going up in any meaningful way. There is massive grade inflation making academic marks more and more meaningless though, so that might have changed the appearance of the competition. However the truth is that outside of the two tails of the distribution (the brilliant top tranche that really stand out positively and the definite nos at the bottom that are easy to reject) applicants are very very similar in the probably-good-enough group, and very tiny differences or subjective factors from the shortlisters can decide which ones get called to interview and which don't.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

redpanda21

Post by redpanda21 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:19 pm

Thanks Miriam - I agree that's not what Edinburgh said, I just meant I had a similar experience to Pencilcase's; feeling that they meet the minimum criteria, submitting the same application, and being less successful than the previous year.
It's very disheartening going through this process and being met with rejection, whether it's because you feel like you've improved since your last application or simply that you meet the minimum criteria they ask for and have worked hard to meet them. I acknowledge that I am trying to rationalize and understand my rejections despite the progress I have made in the last year, but you're right - it probably is just down to small differences and subjective factors. (I guess I'm somehow trying to make myself feel better about my failure!)

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:33 pm

That's pretty normal, Redpanda. And it is a very competitive process in which only the top 15% of people gain a place on a course. I've been doing a fair few "post-mortem" reviews of forms for people with similar frustrations. All I can say from my (perhaps more objective position) is that there is normally a reasonable rationale for shortlisting decisions, and I haven't yet been sent an unsuccessful form that doesn't have significant scope for improvement.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com