Lack of Academic Reference

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Abifaile

Lack of Academic Reference

Post by Abifaile » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:49 pm

Hi All,

I was recently in contact with my university in order to obtain an academic reference for an AP role and was told that my dissertation tutor had moved on from the department and had left no forwarding details. I have tried looking her up online to see if she has had any recent work published or started teaching at another university but have been unsuccessful. Luckily my general undergrad tutor was able to provide a sufficient reference on this occasion, however I only met with her 2-3 times over the course of my degree so doesn't know me or my work well. I am not planning on doing a masters so don't foresee myself acquiring another reference elsewhere but I know that all of the doctorate courses require an academic reference and that these are used in the selection process.

Any advice you could give on how I could work around this would be much appreciated! :D

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
lilachannah

Re: Lack of Academic Reference

Post by lilachannah » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:44 pm

My MSc supervisor, who had been my academic referee on previous applications, had left her post and it had been a good few years since I'd completed my MSc so it didn't feel very current anyway. In one of my previous assistant posts I'd been involved in research and co-written academic papers - I asked my supervisor from this job to act as my academic referee; on my form I explained the situation and it was fine. Could this be an option for you?

miriam
Site Admin

Re: Lack of Academic Reference

Post by miriam » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:15 am

If there is someone who knows your academic ability, such as someone who you have written a paper with or done a more recent course or piece of research with, you can always use them as a reference instead (and give them a transcript of your degree marks to mention).
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com