Rejected 5 times, am I overreacting?

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Kakasek

Rejected 5 times, am I overreacting?

Post by Kakasek » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:42 pm

So I’ve just been rejected from my 5th interview in the last 3 years. I got onto a reserve at Exeter last year and this year they said no right out. Last year I felt ready and I don’t think that this year I was any more ready than last year.

But today I’m feeling like my dreams have been shattered because I feel like I’m one of the people who apply for years and never get on. They clearly like my experience and application, just very confused why am I not getting through interviews.

I can imagine a lot of people are in the same position, I’m feeling very defeated this year. Anyone feeling similarly?

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Smallblonde02

Re: Rejected 5 times, am I overreacting?

Post by Smallblonde02 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:09 pm

I'm so sorry to hear this Kakasek - it must feel so demotivating and rejecting. Have you got any more interviews coming up? Did you get any feedback from Exeter this year? Perhaps it might be worth having some mock interview practice or training from psychologists?

I know it's not the same but I'm on my second year applying and my interviews this year so far have gone awfully.. even after attending interview training/mock interview courses and feeling confident and very ready. I'm already feeling like I will never make it. Just know that you are not alone and there are so many people who have been/are in the same boat as you. It's such a hard process!! Look after yourself.

Spatch

Post by Spatch » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:27 pm

Do you get any consistent feedback from interviews? Generally courses are quite good at giving developmental feedback from the various panels and activities.

I do get concerned about the wider impact of people being interviewed repeatedly and rejected. Or even if they just apply repeatedly. Even if the person is then successful is the gruelling run up ever going to be enough to make up for it? Anecdotally I have heard of trainees going through hell then having sky high expectations which no course can live up to.
Alternatively, here are very able people who write themselves off, who would be highly successful in allied roles.

I would second the self care and kindness suggestions.
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:49 pm

Worth getting feedback to find out why these interviews are unsuccessful if you can't identify problems yourself. Also doing mock interviews to get feedback there. Clearly your CV is good if you are getting interviews, and you just need to address what is going wrong at interview.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:21 am

I would echo what people have said about getting feedback, mock interviews etc. I would also add that the fact you are getting interviews suggests you are able to express yourself well on paper, so it is worth reflecting on why that seems to change in an interview setting. Do you need to allow yourself more time to think before answering? Would you benefit from doing some relaxation exercises before going in? Are you overthinking and trying to second guess the interviewers rather than responding as you genuinely feel? Are you imbuing the interview with more significance than is healthy?

To expand on this last point above, there does seem to be something uniquely nerve wracking about clinical doctorate interviews that makes people behave differently to how they are in other interviews. I'm not quite sure why they have this "mystique" that seems to overwhelm people, but maybe it's because the process is so competitive and people fall into the trap of comparing themselves to others rather than focusing on themselves. Or, it could be that people invest a lot of themselves in the journey and the interviews feel more salient. I don't know, but, whatever the reason, I have seen very capable people almost "crumble" in doctorate interviews, so you are certainly not alone. Difficult as it is, I would encourage you to take a slight step back and try to see the doctorate interviews for what they are - interviews for a job! You must have been succesful in previous job interviews, so if you can view the CP interviews in simialr vein it might reduce your anxiety enough to let the real you come across.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:21 pm

I always recommend that people view it like a first date - trying to figure out whether you get on with each other and want to spend the next few years together, rather than a judgement about whether you are good enough or not.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Mudisco

Post by Mudisco » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:54 am

Kakasek wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:42 pm
So I’ve just been rejected from my 5th interview in the last 3 years. I got onto a reserve at Exeter last year and this year they said no right out. Last year I felt ready and I don’t think that this year I was any more ready than last year.

But today I’m feeling like my dreams have been shattered because I feel like I’m one of the people who apply for years and never get on. They clearly like my experience and application, just very confused why am I not getting through interviews.

I can imagine a lot of people are in the same position, I’m feeling very defeated this year. Is anyone feeling similarly?
It is easier said than done but the best thing you can do is not to panic and over-read or prepare in the final days before the interview. I have also found out from my experience and from talking to others, that reading so much close to interview time is counter-productive. Visualise yourself being calm and doing well on the interview. Talk to yourself about your experience or areas where you anticipate being asked and focus on your strengths.

I was told in mock interviews for me to be more concise and structured in my answers and to take a breath. I told myself that I will try to do that but I did not obsess about it. I told myself that I would focus on my strengths, which is my passionate delivery with some humour and critical reflection and I got in. I think that I I focused on being concise and structured, then I would have second guessed myself and be way too panicky.

In my interview last year, I was even reading on my way there and it just made me more anxious and obviously, I did not get in at that time.

Your mindset is also everything. Don't tackle it from an angle of fear but more out of curiousity and excitement. Being short-listed is amazing. Anything is possible.

clairef

Post by clairef » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:48 pm

lots of great suggestions-
what I find useful is to film myself during mock interviews or even just practising at home alone .
it's helpful to see what I sound and look like.