UCL Interview

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
aspiringpsy

UCL Interview

Post by aspiringpsy » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:50 pm

Hello!

Without divulging any details, I'm wondering how people found their UCL Interviews? Or how people feel about their prospective interviews? Does anyone know whether they weigh interviews and group discussion equally or if one is graded more heavily than the other? I feel so bad about my group discussion as I felt I interrupted others at one stage but it was hard to get a word in! Hard to be judged on 5 mins of speaking :oops: :oops: :(

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
jels256

Re: UCL Interview

Post by jels256 » Wed May 01, 2019 2:13 pm

Hey! I found it really tricky - honestly felt like the questions in the actual interview were so weirdly worded and broad that I wasn't sure what they were asking me... only thing I am happy about is that I managed to keep my cool and be myself. I didn't mind the group task, but sorry to hear yours didn't go how you would of liked! How did you find the rest of the day?

Is this your first interview? Do you have any others?

FelicityMorgan

Post by FelicityMorgan » Thu May 02, 2019 9:25 pm

I'm sure you did better in the group task than you think! We're always so self critical after interviews and second guess ourselves.

I'm not sure if they score the group task like the main interview- not sure how they'd do it fairly. I get the impression it's more of a screening exercise but could be wrong?

I agree jels256- I also felt the questions where broad and testing ability to think on your feet I guess. I didn't really get a sense of what they where looking for in the answers and didn't feel like I got across a lot of my experience because I wasn't sure where it came in if that makes sense.

It will be interesting to get feedback anyway - whatever the outcome.

I thought the panel was friendly though - how did you both find the atmosphere on the day?

jels256

Post by jels256 » Fri May 03, 2019 11:54 am

Agreed, we are always more critical of ourselves - probably because we can feel the inner panic!

Yeah definitely makes sense - was hard to work out what information I was supposed to be giving in order to fully answer the question - glad I'm not the only one feeling that way! But I think you're right, definitely testing our ability to think on our feet and how we respond.

Yes feedback will be helpful, do you think we will be able to ring up about this once we receive the letter?

I agree FelicityMorgan, I found the panel to be really nice and they even said something along the lines of prompting so that you can do your best - which I found really reassuring.

Good luck!!

FelicityMorgan

Post by FelicityMorgan » Sat May 04, 2019 9:39 pm

Yeh I found the occasional prompt helpful definitely. Always hard to gauge how well it went though. Always so much more to say but we will know soon what the outcome is.

The lead of my panel said I can email her about feedback if I want to after the letters have been sent. I'm sure the letter will advise about how to go about getting feedback!

Good luck to you both too! Not long to wait now!

aspiringpsy

Post by aspiringpsy » Thu May 09, 2019 9:54 am

I agree with you all. The panel was so nice and the prompts helpful.The prompts gave you the possibility of gauging whether you said too little or enough about something. I found the general atmosphere relaxed too. I beat myself up for the group performance for a week and glad to finally have an answer. I hope it goes fab for all of you!