Numerical reasoning tests - calculator?

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
willow17

Numerical reasoning tests - calculator?

Post by willow17 » Mon May 20, 2019 3:11 pm

Is a calculator permitted for the numerical reasoning tests used for Lancaster etc? I've done some example questions on SHL and it says 'the use of a calculator may not be permitted in all tests'.

Thanks! :)

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
JB99

Re: Numerical reasoning tests - calculator?

Post by JB99 » Tue May 21, 2019 9:15 am

I'm pretty sure they are, having used one for the equivalent Exeter tests a couple of years ago. If anything, I'd go one step further and use two calculators, particularly if you do not have a scientific calculator, as writing down answers to "save" progress answers takes up precious seconds.

N.B I hope this isn't breaking the rule about application advice..

RJParker

Re: Numerical reasoning tests - calculator?

Post by RJParker » Tue May 21, 2019 11:00 am

You can use calculators for these tests. I assume you used a calculator when you did them for the screening! They are not a test of your ability to do mathematics, they are a test of how you conceptualise the information and understand how to transform it. You can take notes on how to do mathematics functions with you if you want for this reason.

Rob