DCLIN 2019 Edinburgh second interview

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
HWoody

Re: DCLIN 2019 Edinburgh second interview

Post by HWoody » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:25 pm

Oh Jason, I'm so sorry, that is so disappointing. I have been following your progress and was rooting for you.

I agree that is a very long drawn out process, to ask you back for another last minute interview and then to not give a definitive answer. It is tortuous to keep anyone hanging on for so long.

Did they say how long you'd be in reserve for?

jason712

Post by jason712 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:30 pm

HWoody wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:25 pm
Oh Jason, I'm so sorry, that is so disappointing. I have been following your progress and was rooting for you.

I agree that is a very long drawn out process, to ask you back for another last minute interview and then to not give a definitive answer. It is tortuous to keep anyone hanging on for so long.

Did they say how long you'd be in reserve for?
Thanks! I appreciate the support. Basically until all places have been confirmed. I'm calling it at an end now though. I'm certain all the reserves who got called back for a second interview will definitely take the spot. Otherwise why else would they go?

I clearly lacked something that the uni were looking for. I'll get feedback once all places have been confirmed. Until then I just have to say that at the least I have a better idea for next year which is to not apply to Edinburgh again haha

Siogamue

Post by Siogamue » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:00 pm

JASON!

I’m so sorry!!! I don’t even know what to say - What a horrendous and trying journey :(

I would say that you never know - someone might try to defer their place (it does happen) but I know that’s probably not helpful right at this moment.

I hope you have a nice holiday or something planned?

PinkFreud19

Post by PinkFreud19 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:56 pm

I'm really sorry to hear about this horrendous journey Jason. If it's any consolation, your ability to endure such a gruelling and testing experience demonstrates an awful lot about your emotional resilience and ability to bounce back from adverse experiences.

Keep going; the fact that you were invited to two interviews suggests that you're close, in my opinion.

jason712

Post by jason712 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:41 pm

Hi Siogamue and PinkFreud19. Sorry for the late reply. I had to take a few days to reflect on this. While I am disappointed I am still proud to have gotten as far as I did considering the number of people who applied to Edinburgh. I feel I can do this and the rejection isn't so much the issue as is the fact that I have to reapply again and was really hoping that I would be done with it. I don't know if I'm emotionally or physically capable to apply again.

To go through the process and what if I do worse? I know it sounds silly but even though I feel confident in myself I'm also a little anxious at the prospect of doing worse next round. I don't know if I should reapply to Edinburgh, on the one hand, I know the process and once they decide to send me feedback I can develop that further. However, I really didn't appreciate the way they dealt with the second interview and though it sounds silly my pride is a little shot at the moment.

Anyway, these are just some thoughts I've been having, luckily I don't have to decide anything now and can just switch off for a bit. Lucky because right now I feel I want out of this career though I realise it's an emotional response rather than logical.

jason712

Post by jason712 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:42 pm

PinkFreud19 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:56 pm
I'm really sorry to hear about this horrendous journey Jason. If it's any consolation, your ability to endure such a gruelling and testing experience demonstrates an awful lot about your emotional resilience and ability to bounce back from adverse experiences.

Keep going; the fact that you were invited to two interviews suggests that you're close, in my opinion.
That really does mean a lot, thank you!

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:20 pm

jason712 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:41 pm
I don't know if I'm emotionally or physically capable to apply again.
If it doesn't pan out this year you've got a while to recover before you need to make that decision. This isn't a judgement about your capability to be a CP, its a decision about that course for this year.
jason712 wrote:
To go through the process and what if I do worse? I know it sounds silly but even though I feel confident in myself I'm also a little anxious at the prospect of doing worse next round.
You've done better every year, and I've seen it with my own eyes. You can do this.
jason712 wrote:
right now I feel I want out of this career though I realise it's an emotional response rather than logical.
I get that, but its a knee jerk. Even if it takes another year, it will still be the career you want. My advice is to stick with it as long as you are enjoying the posts you are in along the way.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

PinkFreud19

Post by PinkFreud19 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:13 am

jason712 wrote:
To go through the process and what if I do worse?
And what if you don't? I admit that I was plagued by such thinking when I was awaiting the next round of application. I carried that doubt all the way into the interviews for courses that ended up offering me places.

By November, you will have an extra year's worth of experience, have had quite a lot more interview practice, and more time to work on fine tuning your application. By all balance of probabilities, it is unlikely that you will do worse. Of course, you do get the odd example; a course that had offered me an interview the first time round rejected me the second, but this was balanced out by the fact that I was offered two interviews the second time compared to just one the first time.

If you were a write-off, you wouldn't have been invited to a second interview, so bear that in mind too!