is privilege a given?

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Such_a_lovely_girl

is privilege a given?

Post by Such_a_lovely_girl » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:16 pm

Just curious, may not attract much traffic but curious on anyone's thoughts

I have just completed my high intensity training, and someone on my course, has applied and had an interview this year. I am similarly thinking of applying next year. We are both mid 30's and have worked in other professions beforehand but have had former lives in foster/kinship care etc.

This person, at a course interview was asked about the influence of privilege on his/her life. They grew up in foster care from an early age having been subjected to severe neglect, several placement moves etc, still experiences some PTSD as an adult but is doing really great, is working 3 days a week as a HI therapist with a supportive employer who allows them to see patients with depression/anxiety where significant trauma has been screened out (often by this practitioner themselves)....of course what appears at assessment can appear different in time when people feel comfortable to tell a qualified practitioner more about their lives but my friend has good supports, supervisions and insight when it is out of his/her depth

they were asked about how privilege has benefited them and felt a bit stalled as how to answer. He/she didn't want to say privilege had not benefited them, in as much as they live in the UK, have had great foster carers, hospitals, social care, siblings they could see twice a month. They could not say White privilege had brought them much as they aren't, talking therapy in the past and really good antidepressant medication allow this person to function well so there is that, personal insight and reflection, being in a supportive relationship now, getting to attend university without paying fees because of being looked after, passing a driving test.

These are my friend's words but I am curious. This is what they would have described as privilege but felt unable to in case it biased their application and invited more questions that left them feeling exposed. They just stalled like a car on a driving test

Seriously curious about how others would answer the privilege test......no judgement and all thoughts welcome

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
miriam
Site Admin

Re: is privilege a given?

Post by miriam » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:13 pm

We all share some advantages, such as intellectual ability (being capable of a doctorate probably puts us in the top 10% of the population) and sufficient health to work and study. I'm grateful to be able bodied and healthy enough to work full time.

Beyond that I suppose we can make comparison to the majority of the world population and be glad we live in a developed nation, with good transport networks, access to countryside, and mostly temperate weather. The UK has been free of war and famine during my lifetime, every adult has the right to vote without duress in a political system that is designed to represent the population and protect our human rights, including freedom of speech. The UK has judiciary that are independent and police who are mostly trustworthy and we have free education and healthcare, as well as safety nets that provide the majority of those in need with basic food and accommodation.

But it would be absolutely legit to speak of the fact that apart from these things that most people in this country take for granted, you or your friend have not experienced the same level of privilege as the majority of applicants, and that this is an important reason that you want to work in the profession, given the recipients of services are also more often than not at the lower end of the spectrum of privilege. I'm pretty sure most of the course staff and panel members would be aware of the power-threat-meaning framework, so I think it is increasingly acknowledged that an awareness of how power operates is an important thing.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Such_a_lovely_girl

Re: is privilege a given?

Post by Such_a_lovely_girl » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:19 pm

what a lovely answer - thank you

Just thought it would be a bit odd to be talking about enjoying my little garden in my house, that we live in relative peace etc. I won't be scared to answer truthfully but as you say, the experience of using services (I have had both, being under the care of a mental health team whilst also doing the training this year, does give you simultaneously the experience of both worlds, for want of a better word). I feel fortunate, to me it is a privilege, that some people (like me) will get to access good quality psychological care that restores them to be able to go on and do something in a meaningful capacity. I've gotten a band 6 with a neurodevelopmental team and am delighted!!! So yes, clinical, without the imposter syndrome, might me the next step