number of places versus number of applicants

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
noni175
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:41 am

number of places versus number of applicants

Post by noni175 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:18 pm

Does anyone know how many places were given and how many applicants applied for the DclinPsy last year or the year before for each university ?
Last edited by noni175 on Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
User avatar
ChrisCross
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:37 pm

Re: positions versus applicants

Post by ChrisCross » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:58 pm

Hi noni,

You can find this information on the clearing house for clinical psychology website: https://www.leeds.ac.uk/chpccp/numbers.html
Roughly 15% of applicants were successful in gaining a place this year. Across all course centres there were a total of 4,054 applicants for 614 places.

noni175
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:41 am

Re: positions versus applicants

Post by noni175 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:28 pm

Thank you for your responce. However, I am interested to find out for each university the number of applicants and the number of positions. This is for me to calculate the rate of success (in%) for each university.

User avatar
ChrisCross
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:37 pm

Re: number of places versus number of applicants

Post by ChrisCross » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:43 am

If you go to the link I provided and click "places by course centre, " you will find the information you're looking for.

User avatar
maven
Site Admin
Posts: 2163
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:00 pm

Re: number of places versus number of applicants

Post by maven » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:19 pm

Here you go, I made a ready-reckoner for you:
Image
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

User avatar
ell
Moderator
Posts: 2344
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: number of places versus number of applicants

Post by ell » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:29 pm

maven wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:19 pm
Here you go, I made a ready-reckoner for you
Curiosity got the better of me. But I don't understand what the numbers mean. Surely it's not a case of 50% of applicants to Cov and Warwick got a place there?

User avatar
maven
Site Admin
Posts: 2163
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:00 pm

Re: number of places versus number of applicants

Post by maven » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:53 pm

Its the odds, the ratio between applicants and places. So the worst odds are from the 500 applicants for the 10 places at Coventry and Warwick (50:1). The best odds are from Salomans where they have almost the same number of applicants for 34 places (15:1).
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

User avatar
maven
Site Admin
Posts: 2163
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:00 pm

Re: number of places versus number of applicants

Post by maven » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:59 pm

I'm not sure there are any clear patterns, but if I were to try to draw out some trends the courses that have the lowest ratios of applicants to places seem to be those that are perceived as geographically far flung (East Anglia, Glasgow, Edinburgh, South Wales), the larger courses that are perceived as more reflective/psychodynamic (Salomans, Surrey?, UEL?) and small towns in more deprived catchment communities (Lancaster, Teeside, Trent). The north London, south west, midlands and "northern powerhouse" courses seem to be more popular.

Having a bit of a dig around in the data for the last 3 years shows that quite a few people are playing the odds, as some places swing up one year and down the next alternately. Big swings happened in: Bath, Exeter, Leicester, Oxford and Plymouth. Medium swings in Birmingham, Essex, Glasgow, IoPPN, Liverpool, Manchester, UCL, Royal Holloway, South Wales and Staffordshire.

Where odds were markedly the worst or best in the field for a course in a particular year, this was almost always followed by a swing in the numbers to correct that in the following year. Most courses either alternated from slightly better to slightly poorer odds as a result, or remained fairly steady, with most movement levelling out over longer periods of time.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

User avatar
ell
Moderator
Posts: 2344
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: number of places versus number of applicants

Post by ell » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:49 pm

maven wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:53 pm
Its the odds, the ratio between applicants and places. So the worst odds are from the 500 applicants for the 10 places at Coventry and Warwick (50:1). The best odds are from Salomans where they have almost the same number of applicants for 34 places (15:1).
Ah, cool, thanks. On my phone it looked like full stops rather than colons. Makes more sense now!

User avatar
maven
Site Admin
Posts: 2163
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:00 pm

Re: number of places versus number of applicants

Post by maven » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:41 pm

ell wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:49 pm
maven wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:53 pm
Its the odds, the ratio between applicants and places. So the worst odds are from the 500 applicants for the 10 places at Coventry and Warwick (50:1). The best odds are from Salomans where they have almost the same number of applicants for 34 places (15:1).
Ah, cool, thanks. On my phone it looked like full stops rather than colons. Makes more sense now!
They are decimal points Ell, its not you misreading on your phone. It is the number of applicants per place, to two decimal places. So for Coventry and Warwick it says 50.00 and for Salomans it says 15.70 as that is the number of applicants you are up against for a single place.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

User avatar
ell
Moderator
Posts: 2344
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: number of places versus number of applicants

Post by ell » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:33 am

maven wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:41 pm
ell wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:49 pm
maven wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:53 pm
Its the odds, the ratio between applicants and places. So the worst odds are from the 500 applicants for the 10 places at Coventry and Warwick (50:1). The best odds are from Salomans where they have almost the same number of applicants for 34 places (15:1).
Ah, cool, thanks. On my phone it looked like full stops rather than colons. Makes more sense now!
They are decimal points Ell, its not you misreading on your phone. It is the number of applicants per place, to two decimal places. So for Coventry and Warwick it says 50.00 and for Salomans it says 15.70 as that is the number of applicants you are up against for a single place.
Ah ha. Makes sense, thanks. Though 50 applicants per place for Cov and Warwick? Wow.

clinlecturer
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:33 am

Re: number of places versus number of applicants

Post by clinlecturer » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:48 pm

maven wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:19 pm
Here you go, I made a ready-reckoner for you:
Image
Interesting data. Of course it would be even more interesting to look at the number of applicants who met course minimum criteria and compare that to the number of places offered, as that would give a more representative statistic. In the past we have found that up to 20% of applicants did not meet our criteria.

Randomswirls
Team Member
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:21 pm

Re: number of places versus number of applicants

Post by Randomswirls » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:17 pm

I wonder if part of the reason cov and Warwick is so high as they give feedback?

So they are a good bet if you have a ‘spare’ course so to speak?

Speaker
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:44 pm

Re: number of places versus number of applicants

Post by Speaker » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:51 am

clinlecturer wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:48 pm
maven wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:19 pm
Here you go, I made a ready-reckoner for you:
Image
Interesting data. Of course it would be even more interesting to look at the number of applicants who met course minimum criteria and compare that to the number of places offered, as that would give a more representative statistic. In the past we have found that up to 20% of applicants did not meet our criteria.
I completely agree with this, although this information isn't in the public domain. I've seen similar figures around 15-20% mentioned before so factored this into my calculations when I applied last year.

RJParker
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:44 pm

Re: number of places versus number of applicants

Post by RJParker » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:14 am

I suspect that figure will vary significantly based on the specific programme. Our rate would be under 1% for example.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests