Reference from a Counselling Psychologist

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
LolaSun

Reference from a Counselling Psychologist

Post by LolaSun » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:32 am

Dear Colleagues,

Quick question: although I have been consistently supervised by clinical psychologists in my previous posts, currently I am supervised by a counselling psychologist. I wonder how I should best manage this: if I chose an old referee that may look awkward (why would I not choose my current supervisor?) but if I choose my current one (counselling psy) do you reckon I may be "penalised"?

Lola

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
han10

Re: Reference from a Counselling Psychologist

Post by han10 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:52 am

I don't think you would be penalised. The content of the reference would be more important than who gave it - especially if the difference was only clinical vs counselling psychologist as I would expect both to have a good understanding of what training entails and therefore how a candidate may fair. In fact for me it is more about how any referee manages to convey how a candidate fits the criteria for training and their suitability rather than what their job title is.

ell

Post by ell » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:38 am

I don't know for sure, but I don't think it would make a difference, as han10 says, it's the understanding of the training that is important. Also worth noting that clinical psychology training courses often use counselling psychologists as supervisors for trainee placements.

AnsweringBell

Post by AnsweringBell » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:19 am

Echoing han10 and ell, I wouldn't imagine it'd be a problem at all (for the reasons they've given). To add some anecdotal evidence on top - from my own personal experience (n=1), for my first application I couldn't use my current employer and so my two referees were my UG research supervisor, and essentially a university mentor who helped me in my capacity as welfare officer. She was a linguistics professor with no knowledge of clinical psychology or training. I ended up with two interviews that year (not from universities with entrance exams who might not look at references at the initial stages).

Which is to say - I can't imagine the qualification of the person writing one of your references is going to be the decider with these things. Not that I select for courses though!

LolaSun

Post by LolaSun » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:38 pm

Thank you all very much for your replies! Very helpful indeed.

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:05 am

I had a Forensic Psychologist for mine and got an interview and a place.

beluga

Post by beluga » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:33 pm

I applied with my clinical reference coming from a Counselling Psychologist and I was offered an interview and gained a place. Good luck!

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:43 pm

My reference was from an ot and I had two interviews and a place!