How do prospective courses calculate overall undergraduate percentages?

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
bigE

How do prospective courses calculate overall undergraduate percentages?

Post by bigE » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:20 pm

Hello,

My undergraduate degree was weighted at 33% for 2nd year and 66% for 3rd year. It's worth noting that I did substantively better in third year, with this bringing my overall grade above the ''high 2.1 - 65%+' threshold. However, if doctorate courses just weigh the second and final year equally, this puts me below the threshold by ~.6%. This is obviously frustrating as some courses will not consider applications below this threshold, regardless of any postgraduate qualifications at a merit or distinction.

Is anyone able to shed some light on this?

Thank you.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Siogamue

Re: How do prospective courses calculate overall undergraduate percentages?

Post by Siogamue » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:13 pm

Hi BigE,

As far as I am aware, this is pretty complicated. I think each course works out your grade based on your transcript and their own marking system. This will obviously mean that your grade will be different depending on which university you apply to. I am unsure if all of the courses do this but am aware that some do.

There are a number of universities that do not put a percentage mark on their transcripts for this reason.

It may be worth having a look at some of the courses and their grading process because most will weight as your course has but some allow for weaker modules to be dropped, therefore increasing your mark :)

bigE

Post by bigE » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:17 am

Hello Siogamue,

thank you for the response, it is very insightful.

I am still curious as to how this process works, especially because further investigation has highlighted a discrepancy. Some of the universities that offer the doctorate explicitly state on their doctorate entry requirements that level 5 & 6 marks are weighted equally, however, the same universities' weighting regulations for undergraduate (3 year) module marks are 40:60, respectively.

Perhaps it in part comes down to the inherent competitiveness for places, with this (for some universities that offer the doctorate) having an effect on the weighting process?

Pencilcase123

Post by Pencilcase123 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:10 am

I did my undergrad at the University of Aberdeen and they don't use percentages (they have their own marking system which is completely different to any other uni) and the marks cannot be calculated into percentages as their scoring system does not work like that (I've emailed the uni previously to ask about this). Does anybody know what the course centres would do with that?

Speaker

Post by Speaker » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:38 am

I'm really interested in this too as my grade was a 2:1 and I know my overall % was above 65 making me a 'high/upper 2:1' but going form the clearing house guidelines I can't state the % as it inst documented on my degree transcript (see below) hopefully someone can shed some light on this?

"If your qualifications are from the UK or Ireland please give sufficient detail in Class & Division/Grade. For
an undergraduate degree give the class and division eg 2:1, and if your university gave you an overall mark
eg 65, give this too. However, please only give official university grades: do not calculate your overall mark
yourself."

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:19 pm

I didn't think 65% was "high". I thought that was "mid" and you needed to be at or above 67% to be high? But the cut-offs might vary from course to course, and I don't know how they calculate percentages.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

bigE

Post by bigE » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:46 pm

Speaker wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:38 am
I'm really interested in this too as my grade was a 2:1 and I know my overall % was above 65 making me a 'high/upper 2:1' but going form the clearing house guidelines I can't state the % as it inst documented on my degree transcript (see below) hopefully someone can shed some light on this?

"If your qualifications are from the UK or Ireland please give sufficient detail in Class & Division/Grade. For
an undergraduate degree give the class and division eg 2:1, and if your university gave you an overall mark
eg 65, give this too. However, please only give official university grades: do not calculate your overall mark
yourself."
Did your university give you an account on gradintel which supplied you with your Higher Education Achievement Report?

Speaker

Post by Speaker » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:04 am

Yes, but this doesn't state my overall %. It does list all my modules though
bigE wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:46 pm
Speaker wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:38 am

yourself."
Did your university give you an account on gradintel which supplied you with your Higher Education Achievement Report?

benbrand

Post by benbrand » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:48 am

Long story short, it varies tremendously between courses.

For example, because I completed a 4 year degree with a year in Europe mine was a little different:

UCL told me to have my referee state I was given a high 2:1
Leicester said they would take years 2 & 4
Sheffiled used years 2, 3, & 4
Essex just used the average from year 3 (in my case 4)
Liverpool take all 4 years

You can see all have different methods, so I'd strongly advise reaching out to the course centres you're interested in.

Hope that helps.