References

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
ly12

References

Post by ly12 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:48 am

Hiya,

Just wondering on other's opinion as I am a bit unsure what is best at the moment. So I worked in NHS as an AP in the Community LD team for a year and a half and finished there in June this year. I started a an AP in CAMHS in June this year, however have now been offered a fab AP role in Southampton in a different client population so have decided to take this up. However when looking at who to put as a reference I understand it is probably best to put your current employer, however if I don't start this job til November this will not be an accurate reference as they will have only just met me. Similarly with my CAMHS job I have only been there for 4 months now and there isn't a large amount of supervision so I feel my LD supervisor would be able to give me the most accurate reference.

Do you think it would not be acceptable to have a reference from my supervisor from my second to last job? I guess if I explained why it might be ok but just wanted to see if anyone else had ever done this as don't want to be marked down for this?

Speaker

Re: References

Post by Speaker » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:17 am

I had a similar issue last year, having started a new job at the beginning of September with a temporary supervisor for two months before my actual supervisor took up the post. I had a conversation with my temporary supervisor as I didn't feel they were appropriate to comment on my competencies as I'd spent the first few weeks on induction training etc, which they agreed with. I contacted my previous supervisor (of 1 year) who happily wrote a lovely reference. Personally, I think it was the right thing to do for me although I probably didn't elaborate my reasoning well enough on my application.

ly12

Post by ly12 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:27 am

Oh perfect thanks! Yeh I am sure it is ok if you reason why just wondering if they will question the fact it wouldn't even be my most recent job before the new one.

hs577

Post by hs577 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:40 pm

I think you can explain in a box somewhere on the form why it's not from your current employer. Pretty much as you have done in this message. :)

JFox

Post by JFox » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:13 am

I had the same situation. I wrote an explanation as to why I chose an old reference (I.e. new supervisor might not be able to accurately or confidently comment on my skills) and I got on the course that year too :D
If at first you don't succeed, try two more times so that your failure is statistically significant!

Speaker

Post by Speaker » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:50 am

I've just noticed the text below on the clearing house website Re Trent. Might be worth checking if its the case with any of your choices.

"Candidates should note that with the Clearing House application the Relevant Experience Reference MUST be from your current employer"

ly12

Post by ly12 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:24 pm

Oh great thanks luckily I am not picking that uni haha!