Will I be asked to engage with a statistical task at interview?

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
bigE

Will I be asked to engage with a statistical task at interview?

Post by bigE » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:47 pm

The desirable criteria for an assistant psychologist post I have applied for stipulates that the candidate should have "experience of using research databases (e.g., SPSS)". It then states the method of how this this will be assessed (at interview).

I am wondering if this simply means that I will be asked to reflect about my prior research experience? Or does this indicate that I will be asked to engage with some SPSS data during the interview?

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
ell

Re: Will I be asked to engage with a statistical task at interview?

Post by ell » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:40 am

Could be either.

Love the phrase 'engage with a statistical test'. Suggests you'd find it particularly unpleasant. (On a serious note, if you are feeling unsure about your statistics abilities, there are lots of suggestions on the forum about how to improve your skills)

Good luck with the interview!

miriam
Site Admin

Re: Will I be asked to engage with a statistical task at interview?

Post by miriam » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:15 pm

I expect anyone who'll be doing research as part of their job to do a task involving stats at interview. Whether I give them a data file with a task, or just a research design question, depends on the balance of the job responsibilities. But I tell candidates there will be a task in my invitations to interview.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com