Ran out of time on the shortlisting test!

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
hanjenjag

Ran out of time on the shortlisting test!

Post by hanjenjag » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:45 pm

Hello,

I ran out of time on the deductive reasoning test and missed answering the last three questions! Does anyone know if I will be penalised for this? I have tried to look for answers on clearing house and the university website but cannot seem to find anything.

Thank you in advance :D

Maango

Re: Ran out of time on the shortlisting test!

Post by Maango » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:06 pm

Hey, I literally just finished this test! It states on the brief that you will be penalised if you do not finish the test D: I also ran out of time!

hanjenjag

Post by hanjenjag » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:21 pm

Oh no! I hadn't seen that I think my nerves got in the way so I must have missed it. I was working pretty fast so I physically couldn't have gone any faster or I feel like I would have been guessing. Sorry to hear that you ran out of time too, but it helps to know I'm not alone!

RJParker

Post by RJParker » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:34 am

I'm guessing this is the SHL test as I'm not aware of anyone else using deductive reasoning for DClinPsy shortlisting.

In SHL's case, scores are calculated using a model which combines hit rate (number correct), work rate (number answered), and question level (which changes dynamically for each question based on a candidate's previous answers). Timings are intended to put pressure on candidates so that it is challenging to complete all questions in the time allowed. It is very difficult to say what impact not completing x number of questions may have as you cannot know if the previous questions were answered correctly or at what level they were.

The statistical models used by the tests are described in the technical manuals which are available from all good search engines if anyone is interested.

hjd118

Post by hjd118 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:13 am

Any good suggestions for practicing these tests? Good websites or resources?

xashx

Post by xashx » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:06 pm

i also ran out of time during deductive reasoning! i think the last three questions as well. thanks for sharing as this eases my anxieties somewhat :)