2020 Clinical Doctorate Application Progress Thread

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
ag9437

Re: 2020 Clinical Doctorate Application Progress Thread

Post by ag9437 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:47 pm

Hi Nikkila,

Well done on your offer, that is amazing news!! Definitely celebrate and take this time to revel in your own successes which I am sure is very much deserved. Thank you very much, it has come as a little bit of a surprise but very happy with the offer of the 8a. If I was to be offered either Manchester or Belfast this year then I would take the place as I feel CBT (which is great) is a speciality and clinical psychology would give me more of a broader scope of therapy to enhance my current toolkit and be more transdiagnostic with my approach - in the end it is about what you want to gain from DClin and whether it is that growth as a clinician which is important or the banding increase which comes with an increase in management responsibilities and enhancements - both of which are good reasons. I hope that has answered your question! What are your thoughts?
nikkila wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:17 pm
Can i just ask, do you think you would have still taken a place if offered despite getting your 8a position? The reason i ask is i have just been offered a place on a course but currently work as an 8A Psychological Therapist

Well done on your new post by the way :D

your
ag9437 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:05 pm
ag9437 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:37 pm
Trent (invited to test day)
Birmingham
Cov & Warwick

Manchester (invited to online test) - they won't tell us what number on reserve list
QUB

So I just wanted to say please please continue to persevere if this is what you want to do as it will come to you, but do not put your life on hold for it either, you are so capable in this field and there are multiple avenues into being able to be a qualified clinician within psychology such as my current role and this will only strengthen your applications further. Who knows If I will be successful this year however I know if I am not then I am still making progress in my career and following my passion within psychology. Good luck to you all! :)
Update: Manchester are moving on their reserve list, moreover I have also been offered a band 8A Senior CBT therapist & LTC Lead post, so just more evidence to show that progression in 3 short years (band 2 to 8a) highlighting that clin psych is not the only way to make it in psychology!:

Trent (invited to test day)
Birmingham
Cov & Warwick

Manchester (invited to online test)
QUB

nikkila

Post by nikkila » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:37 pm

Yes thank you for that. I think it is broader scope and the research aspect of doing the clin psych that i am wanting hence applying whilst already in an 8a position. Im probably just a bit conflicted as the course i have been offered is not in a location i would like really and would mean massive life changes and being trained in a few other approaches makes me question the decison further. Thank you for responding i think i saw your post and was trying to seek reassurance from somebody in a similar position 😂🙈. Thank you for your kind words also , i really hope you enjoy your new post and your psychology journey :-)

ineffable

Post by ineffable » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:04 pm

First time applying:

Edinburgh
UEA -> UEA
South Wales -> South Wales
Glasgow

Bit disappointed with South Wales as they seemingly forgot about me. I had to call them today to find out after everyone else was told on the 7th. After the admin person's confusion, she told me she will look into it, and then 30 minutes later I get an email with my outcome.

Kao

Post by Kao » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:08 am

2nd year applying.
1st year I applied I had just about had 1 year experience as a HCA (and some voluntary work/a placement). Since, I have been an Assistant Psychology for 10 months and then a trainee PWP for 8 months.

1st year - 4 rejections.

This year:
Surrey
UCL
KCL
UEL

So pleased, trying to make sure I view this year as a win, despite the outcome. I have done my zoom interview for Surrey and feel I gave it a good shot. Best of luck to others with interviews soon! You can do it!!

jodiechipp

Post by jodiechipp » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:48 am

AppleK wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:26 pm
Second time applying, although my first was a practice run straight after my undergrad degree. I have been a PWP, an AP in CAMHS and am currently doing a Masters degree.

Leicester (sat test)
Surrey (interview completed)
Salomons
Cov & Warwick (offer received yesterday evening)

I have been reading posts on this forum for several years, and have found them incredibly helpful and supportive. Good luck to everyone else with the process! Any other Cov & Warwick offer holders?
Hey, congrats on getting offered a place at C&W, I have too!! I'll send you a private message :)

Jstew

Post by Jstew » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:50 am

lucy2509 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:59 pm
jackiehamilton wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:28 am
Hey all,

Thought I would add my progress so far.

This is my second time applying (I got offered a place first time applying but unfortunately due to personal circumstances had to decline at the time):

- Sheffield
- Coventry/Warwick
- Staffordshire - going to decline interview
- Leicester

Has anyone else been accepted at Leicester? Would be good to start a group of people that have been accepted :)

Good luck to everyone applying!
Hi Jackie,
I have just accepted a place at Leicester!
(This is my first time using this forum so not sure if this is the best way to reply directly to you).
Lucy
Hi Both,

I have also just been accepted for Leicester! Would love to (virtually) meet you both before sept, but again I have no real clue how to use the forum.

All the best, and congrats!

Jess

peanut20

Post by peanut20 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:27 am

Surrey
Birmingham
Southampton
Manchester

Anyone else really struggle to know what to make of the Surrey interview and dreading the long wait :(

Kao

Post by Kao » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:45 am

peanut20 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:27 am
Surrey
Birmingham
Southampton
Manchester

Anyone else really struggle to know what to make of the Surrey interview and dreading the long wait :(

Surrey certainly had a particular style of interview! I’d say try and be kind to yourself! And yes the wait is killing me haha, especially as it was originally going to be much shorter. Best of luck

Zoecharlotte

Post by Zoecharlotte » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:18 pm

Just wanted to share a group for those planning to accept a place at South Wales

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2208077 ... ?ref=share

GOtts

Post by GOtts » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:01 pm

Hello all! I hope you are having a good bank holiday. This is my first time applying and I have worked for 18 months as an AP across different posts. This is how it stands for me:
UEA
Essex
Edinburgh
Glasgow

I am very happy to have gotten an offer on my first time and I am still a bit in shock! Good luck to everyone with the process and to those still interviewing and waiting to hear back from reserve lists!

Sj8

Post by Sj8 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:29 pm

Hello all. Hope you are all doing well. international student here, first time applying, have 2 years of work experience. This is the outcome!

King's

UCL

Super nervous and anxious about the interview!

nicairey

Post by nicairey » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:11 pm

Hello everyone :-) this year was my first year applying and I have worked as an AP for a year then Higher AP for 9 months up until now. I decided not to apply immediately after I completed my Masters in 2018 to develop some more clinical skills, which I'm so glad I did!

King's IOPPN
Leeds

Manchester
Sheffield

I'm totally in shock as I wasn't expecting an interview never mind a place, especially since I didn't think the screening test for Manchester went in my favour. Some brilliant news in these crazy times was just what I needed. I'd love to meet others who have accepted a place at Manchester before the Sept start :D

Esuma

Post by Esuma » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:59 pm

Esuma wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:32 pm
Esuma wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:04 pm
Third year applying for me, this year to:

Surrey (exam sat)
Oxford
Southampton
Royal Holloway
Well that’s that. Not sure I’m putting myself through this process again. We’ll see!
Hmm I guess I should say it turned out I was on the reserve list for Surrey and got an interview in the end!

Congratulations to all those with offers!

jackiehamilton

Post by jackiehamilton » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:19 pm

Jstew wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:50 am
lucy2509 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:59 pm
jackiehamilton wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:28 am
Hey all,

Thought I would add my progress so far.

This is my second time applying (I got offered a place first time applying but unfortunately due to personal circumstances had to decline at the time):

- Sheffield
- Coventry/Warwick
- Staffordshire - going to decline interview
- Leicester

Has anyone else been accepted at Leicester? Would be good to start a group of people that have been accepted :)

Good luck to everyone applying!
Hi Jackie,
I have just accepted a place at Leicester!
(This is my first time using this forum so not sure if this is the best way to reply directly to you).
Lucy
Hi Both,

I have also just been accepted for Leicester! Would love to (virtually) meet you both before sept, but again I have no real clue how to use the forum.

All the best, and congrats!

Jess

Hey Jess,

Congratulations on your place!

I've made a facebooked group named 'University of Leicester DClinPsy 2020 Intake' - feel free to join if you have fb?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1115185195510366/

Looking forward to meeting you :)

Bw,
Jackie

Jstew

Post by Jstew » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:57 pm

Fantastic, I will definitely Join. I have also told another who has accepted at Leicester :D Jess