Doctorate with children

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
N400Effect

Doctorate with children

Post by N400Effect » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:12 pm

Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has experience of completing a doctorate with young children? Specifically Liverpool and Manchester?

I've been looking at the 2020 handbook and for Liverpool somebody has said they put all the teaching blocks in half terms and therefore you cannot take annual leave during any school holidays? Surely this can't be true? On the Liverpool handbook it says its 2 teaching days each University term.

I know it's going to be super hard but I just wanted to see how people have found it and how good the University's are with parents :).

Thank you!

Randomswirls
Team Member

Re: Doctorate with children

Post by Randomswirls » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:19 pm

So I am at liverpool currently and in first year we have teaching on Monday and Tuesday and then in second and third years teaching is on a Monday. There is no teaching over Christmas or the summer period (from June till October.

In first year you start with a five week teaching block otherwise all teaching blocks are two weeks long and take place at the end of every placement before the new placement begins. So this is always the first two weeks of October and then at some point around easter - this year it’s from the 23rd March to the 3rd April. We then have a couple of weeks with no teaching for ‘easter’.

I don’t know when school holidays are but in relation to half terms you wouldn’t be able to take the Monday and Tuesday off in first year or the Monday’s off in second year as teaching is compulsory.

I am not a parent but there are several parents (both mums and dads) per cohort as far as I know. I think it’s fair to say that they try there best with placements but people do have to travel sometimes.

N400Effect

Post by N400Effect » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:56 pm

Randomswirls wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:19 pm
So I am at liverpool currently and in first year we have teaching on Monday and Tuesday and then in second and third years teaching is on a Monday. There is no teaching over Christmas or the summer period (from June till October.

In first year you start with a five week teaching block otherwise all teaching blocks are two weeks long and take place at the end of every placement before the new placement begins. So this is always the first two weeks of October and then at some point around easter - this year it’s from the 23rd March to the 3rd April. We then have a couple of weeks with no teaching for ‘easter’.

I don’t know when school holidays are but in relation to half terms you wouldn’t be able to take the Monday and Tuesday off in first year or the Monday’s off in second year as teaching is compulsory.

I am not a parent but there are several parents (both mums and dads) per cohort as far as I know. I think it’s fair to say that they try there best with placements but people do have to travel sometimes.
That has really helped, thank you so much. None of that seems to fall in school / uni holidays. I might see if I can speak to any parents on the course and see how they find it. Thank you!!

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:16 pm

The March teaching block does move around a bit as easter moves so you may find that it does clash at one point or another but that is unlikely to be the case throughout the three years.

Good luck with applying and admin are great so I’d drop them an email.

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:56 am

Training is a full time job (except on the Lancaster course part-time places). The commitment is 9am to 5pm five days per week, with a set number of bookable leave days per year (if I recall correctly the NHS starts at 27 plus bank holidays, unless you have gained extra through long service). It is pretty much inevitable that you'll need some childcare, as no NHS employee gets enough leave to cover all school holidays (unless you work 3/5 time arranged as term time only). My experience is that teaching is less likely to occur in the major holidays (easter, xmas, summer) but will normally continue through half terms, and yes, very few courses allow any leave to be taken during teaching time - though they are legally obligated like any employer to let you respond to some emergencies with your children, particularly if they are young or have special needs. But worth checking with individual courses whether they have scheduled teaching blocks and what policy documents relate to parents on training - and I'm sure other people would be interested if you share the results here.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

Edgemo

Post by Edgemo » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:54 am

Currently a first year trainee at Exeter Uni with 2 kids. For me, the experience has been the uni give the message that you MUST attend all lectures and cant take leave etc, however in reality when things have, inevitably, cropped up they have been very understanding and supportive. This has not just been for child related issues. Life happens, like in any other job. Have to say though if it wasn't for my wife (who has picked up the majority of childcare issues when they occur) I would have missed ALOT more and they may not have been as understanding. Especially during the starting nursery/ school months where every other week someone has a temperature or horrific cough which means they have to stay at home.

Bottom line, I hope other unis are like exeter and have realistic expectations regarding their trainees personal circumstances.

N400Effect

Post by N400Effect » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:04 am

maven wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:56 am
Training is a full time job (except on the Lancaster course part-time places). The commitment is 9am to 5pm five days per week, with a set number of bookable leave days per year (if I recall correctly the NHS starts at 27 plus bank holidays, unless you have gained extra through long service). It is pretty much inevitable that you'll need some childcare, as no NHS employee gets enough leave to cover all school holidays (unless you work 3/5 time arranged as term time only). My experience is that teaching is less likely to occur in the major holidays (easter, xmas, summer) but will normally continue through half terms, and yes, very few courses allow any leave to be taken during teaching time - though they are legally obligated like any employer to let you respond to some emergencies with your children, particularly if they are young or have special needs. But worth checking with individual courses whether they have scheduled teaching blocks and what policy documents relate to parents on training - and I'm sure other people would be interested if you share the results here.
Thank you :) I did my pwp training with my 2 young ones and that was 9-5 and compulsory lectures every week, however Ljmu had term time the same as schools so there were no lectures in holidays when uni/schools were closed and therefore we could book A/L. So it's really good to see that the main holidays they don't do teaching blocks :). I will definitely ask each uni also and share results. Thank you!
Last edited by N400Effect on Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

N400Effect

Post by N400Effect » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:05 am

Edgemo wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:54 am
Currently a first year trainee at Exeter Uni with 2 kids. For me, the experience has been the uni give the message that you MUST attend all lectures and cant take leave etc, however in reality when things have, inevitably, cropped up they have been very understanding and supportive. This has not just been for child related issues. Life happens, like in any other job. Have to say though if it wasn't for my wife (who has picked up the majority of childcare issues when they occur) I would have missed ALOT more and they may not have been as understanding. Especially during the starting nursery/ school months where every other week someone has a temperature or horrific cough which means they have to stay at home.

Bottom line, I hope other unis are like exeter and have realistic expectations regarding their trainees personal circumstances.
Thank you so much for this. Its awful isn't it, sometimes things just crop up and can't be helped. I know with the NHS you get up to 5 days in 12 months for dependent emergencies I.e if they are ill suddenly and no childcare etc and this applies to courses which is a help. Thanks again and hope your course is going well!!! :)