Disappointment and rejection 2020 megathread

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Spatch

Disappointment and rejection 2020 megathread

Post by Spatch » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:22 am

I would like to try something new. As the progress thread starts to pile up with various colours, and as people may not want to dampen other people's success in other threads, I was thinking it may be helpful to have a space to reflect and process those (the majority) that it hasn't gone well for. So, if you don't want to take your angst out on Facebook, or dominate your local AP group with your burning anger about the system, bring it here.

Few basics:
1) Plea to the qualifieds /course tutors/ ClinPsy veterans, lets hold off on the defensiveness or justification about the system on this thread. We know there may be reasons or explanations about why certain things happen, and we can do that in other threads.

2) For this it may help if you are not identifiable by your job/ location/ personal details when it comes to opening up.

3) Basic rules of the forum still apply. Don't go libelling the University of Sunderland DClinPsy team about worshiping the devil or anything.
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/

Michael54321

Re: Disappointment and rejection 2020 megathread

Post by Michael54321 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:50 pm

I'll gladly contribute to this one.

2015-16

DClinPsy:
Edinburugh
Glasgow - Interviewed
Liverpool
UCL

DPhil in Experimental Psychology (Oxford) - Interviewed

Assistant Psychologist / RA posts - 50+

2016-17

DClinPsy:
UEA
Edinburgh
Glasgow
Southampton

DPhil in Neuroscience (Oxford)
PhD in Psychology/Dementia (Newcastle) - Interviewed
PhD in Neuropsychology/Encephalitis (Liverpool) - Interviewed
PhD in Neuropsychology/Psychological Medicine (UNSW) - Missed out on funding
PhD in Psychology (Manchester) - Missed out on funding

PhD in Psychology (Trinity) - Withdrew before interview

Assistant Psychologist / RA posts - 50+

2018-19

DClinPsy:
Trinity
Edinburgh - Interviewed off reserve list
Glasgow
UCL
Oxford

PhD in Clinical Psychology/Stroke (Manchester) - Interviewed
MPhil in Psychology/Clinical Neuroscience (Cambridge) - Rejected before interview

Assistant Psychologist / RA posts - 10+

2019-2020

DClinPsy:
Trinity
Manchester
UCL
Surrey

DPhil in Neuroscience (Oxford)

Assistant Psychologist / RA posts - 5ish

You only hear about the success stories it seems, so that's why I felt the need to share.

I may have succeeded at something this year, but that's not for this thread. I feel that the failures and knockbacks have made me a better, less arrogant person and I'm glad for them.

Spatch

Post by Spatch » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:42 pm

Thanks for posting, and I suspect a lot of people will empathise with your situation.

The thing that strikes me is that, despite the outcomes, you must be doing a lot right in order to just be getting interviews for DPhils, PhDs and DClinPsys. If your applications are getting that far, I there are evidently a lot of skills and experiences there to draw from. I hope that you get to use them in whatever it is you have succeded at this year. If I look back it was just one or two positive breaks that got things really started for me.
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/

xxpoogletxx

Post by xxpoogletxx » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:04 am

I love this idea Spatch!

Doctorate-wise I'm actually not doing too bad this year, but Michael54321's post got me thinking about my catalogue of failures of as I like to call them 'just not quite doing as well as I could have'

Dropped out of college after 3 months, I was attempting A-levels in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Modern History.

2007 - 2008
Did a year of a B-Tec in Health Studies, decided that actually I better do my A-levels

2008 - 2010
After obtaining pretty decent AS levels (ABB), my second year went to pot and I ended up coming out with:
A-levels
Psychology - B
Biology - C
Chemistry - E

This was the year I was also applying to universities to study my BSc in psychology. I received offers from; Westminster, the University of Manchester and Leeds Met. I was rejected by the University of Leeds and Manchester Met
Unfortunately due to my grades I was ultimately rejected from all of them, leading me to apply for the psychology BSc through clearing. I got a place at the University of Bradford. Not exactly the most prestigious of institutions but I actually loved my course, so every cloud eh?

2010 - 2014
It actually took me 4 years to complete my undergrad after having to re-sit my second year, for personal reasons but nevertheless, another knock back. However, I did manage to graduate with a good 2.1.

10-20 AP applications, I didn't even receive a 'thanks no thanks' from any of these applications.
5-10 Healthcare assistant/support worker applications

2018 - 2019
DClinPsy
First application:
Edinburgh
Leeds
Manchester
Sheffield

Jobs:
Band 5 AP job in Scotland no response to my application
Band 4 AP job in York interviewed but no job offer

I obviously haven't included my successes in there, which if I only wrote those, on the face of it, would look like I've had a pretty easy ride so far. It's been quite cathartic to write all this down and see how far I've come since I was that 16 year old who had no idea what she was doing and had her parents berating her for leaving college... I hope this helps others see that it definitely isn't all plain sailing!

Sebfrancis2

Post by Sebfrancis2 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:07 am

Loving the idea of this reflective thread so don't mind if I jump in too!

Graduated with sixth form with:
Psychology - C
Maths - C
Btec Music techology - Merit

got a place at Bangor University to study Bsc Psychology.
Changed in my 3rd year to the new Msci Psychology course

Graduated with 2:1 Msci Psychology
Rejected from:
10 AP jobs
4 RA jobs
2 Support worker jobs

rejected from:
15 AP jobs
7 RA jobs

Rejected from:
7 AP jobs
10 RA jobs

DClinPsy:
UEA
Bangor
Glasgow
Surrey

Rejected from:
10 AP jobs
5 RA jobs

Interviewed for
MST Therapist (told I was second place by a point)

DClinPsy:
Leicester
Birmingham
Coventry & Warwick
Staffordshire

Still applying for RA jobs predominantly - have a good clinical grounding now - successes make it look like i've had a lot of lucky breaks - which i probably have to be honest but seeing the rejections makes me feel more like I've earned where I've got to.

Aanneett

Post by Aanneett » Sun May 10, 2020 11:13 am

When I think about my journey I think I had it easy.... I managed to secure a place on Doctorate this year, and this was my first application, but thinking about it more, I had to go through a few challenges...

2009 - moved to the UK without knowing any English. Went straight into year 11 and as you can imagine I have failed all of my exams in 2010. All of them.

My school was connected with Sixth Form and they felt sorry for me, therefore they took me on to do English and Maths course while doing BTEC level 2 in Travel and Tourism (this was seen as the easiest subject for me to pass). I have managed to get a pass for all of these with a big help of Google translate, however I have dropped out after one year as I had enough.

I gave up on education and I worked in a coffe shop for a year. My English had slightly improved. I met my current partner who encouraged me to go to college.

I decided that I could only do Travel and Tourism, even though this was not my area of interest. I somehow done 2 years course in one year due to personal circumstances and having to support my parents. I got a distinction. Once again heavy use of Google translate.

I applied to University via clearing and got a place: Psychology, Counselling and Therapies course. From then, I really think I was extremely lucky to meet supportive people on my way. I grab every opportunity that came my way. I never thought I could become a Psychologist, and I heard from many people that this would be impossible. My plan was to stick to care work.

After UNI I made a conscious effort of only applying for posts that I believed I could get which meant I always got the job I applied for. I guess that's why the journey after UNI felt easy, but beforehand it wasn't and I still attribute success to luck rather than anything else.

Esuma

Post by Esuma » Sun May 10, 2020 12:31 pm

I think this journey is filled with challenges and rejection, and it can pile on the self-doubt in frustrating amounts. I’m now three years into applying and wondering whether to give up at this point or put myself through yet another rollercoaster of stress! Each year I’ve managed to get an interview based on selection tests, so I’m doing ok in the stats department but my interview skills are what’s lacking and I guess my form doesn’t stand out enough to get selected for interview from the many hundreds of other capable candidates. In the current climate I’m even more at a loss of what to do. Even still now any time I try to think of anything else I can’t entertain it! It’s daft as I’ve far from idealised the course and the slog once on the doctorate now but I can’t let it go! I guess dedicating 13 years of your life to something and then giving up is making me feel too much of a failure, but how long can you keep trying!?

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Sun May 10, 2020 12:34 pm

Aanneett, don't undersell yourself, your efforts or your achievements. Yes, we all experience an occasional bit of luck in our lives, but unless we make an effort to make use of it or to work towards goals luck alone gets us nowhere. It sounds like you have worked hard to get where you are - celebrate that and give yourself some credit!!

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Fri May 15, 2020 7:27 pm

Esuma wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 12:31 pm
I think this journey is filled with challenges and rejection, and it can pile on the self-doubt in frustrating amounts. I’m now three years into applying and wondering whether to give up at this point or put myself through yet another rollercoaster of stress! Each year I’ve managed to get an interview based on selection tests, so I’m doing ok in the stats department but my interview skills are what’s lacking and I guess my form doesn’t stand out enough to get selected for interview from the many hundreds of other capable candidates. In the current climate I’m even more at a loss of what to do. Even still now any time I try to think of anything else I can’t entertain it! It’s daft as I’ve far from idealised the course and the slog once on the doctorate now but I can’t let it go! I guess dedicating 13 years of your life to something and then giving up is making me feel too much of a failure, but how long can you keep trying!?
Sorry you've had a tough time. I guess the only answer for how long to keep trying is "as long as it feels right and you are enjoying the journey". I don't mean you have to enjoy the applications and rejection, I don't know anyone who enjoys that, but are you enjoying the work you are doing on the way, and the things you are learning?
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Esuma

Post by Esuma » Mon May 18, 2020 5:35 pm

miriam wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 7:27 pm
Esuma wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 12:31 pm
Sorry you've had a tough time. I guess the only answer for how long to keep trying is "as long as it feels right and you are enjoying the journey". I don't mean you have to enjoy the applications and rejection, I don't know anyone who enjoys that, but are you enjoying the work you are doing on the way, and the things you are learning?
I think you’re right Miriam and something I’ve known for a while is my current job, whilst I like a lot of things about it, it isn’t something that makes me feel good day to day. Overall I feel frustrated, powerless and mostly ineffective but also stressed, over responsible and overstretched. It’s a weird mix! It’s a very hands off indirect role, which I think at a later point in my career I would feel ok about but right now I thrive off of the client facing side of things and that’s what makes me feel good, happy and satisfied within a role. I had a few hours out of my role helping in a support worker role last week due to staffing and instantly felt so much happier, it was a real light bulb moment. I think part of my initial instant reaction was I felt very ‘trapped’ because of current circumstances and worried there wouldn’t be other jobs available, but actually some roles are popping up again now and I feel it’s the right time to seriously start looking. It’s also helped me to already feel happier in my current role. I think I could quite happily do an AP type role for a couple more years, and I’d also love to do research, but there’s always this pressure of ‘just’ (I’m just a... ) or ‘not enough’. I need to remove that because at the end of the day timelines are irrelevant really and I’ll get on if and when I’m ready to, and in the mean time if I can find and work in a job I enjoy then that’s more than enough!

Brioche

Post by Brioche » Tue May 19, 2020 3:19 am

Mine is rather short since I'm sort of just starting out but I have had some bad luck even then :lol:

So I got ACC in A Levels (Psychology was my A) and went to uni in Worcester. I was initially terrified but I didn't want to take the alternate offer from UEA... plus Worcester and the area around was lovely.

2018-2019
Tried getting a part-time job to little avail. So I set on getting voluntary work first... charities were very bad at responding or I'd be hanging onto opportunities to be let down. I tried women sexual health, appropriate adulting, childline.. :cry: I found a lot had no opportunities or I couldn't get to the locations (I can't drive yet).
The appropriate adult role was what I was the most sad about. We had several emails, a long phone call where I was excited to help and the location was a walk away. But their admin team got scrambled, coordinator had an op, funding cut/got it back. I'm sure they lost me off the system. Anyhow I eventually got a good opportunity at an addiction charity but there was a hold up due to personal issues from coordinator. Also became a student peer mentor and tried helping a lecturer with a media discourse analysis.

:( You can imagine my dismay with gaining only 60 hours in total to put on my transcript due to our current circumstances :lol: Between floods for weeks and covid things have not been easy.
Been looking for local support work at home - got in contact with two job roles. Hoping that someone can take me on despite my minimal experience... I mean I got my 2.1 nearly in the bag thankfully despite the stress :D

Hope you guys are managing well :)
Yorkshire lass in her early 20's - passionate about psychology, gaming and developing as a person :)
Currently studying an undergraduate in Psychology.

clairef

Post by clairef » Tue May 19, 2020 12:02 pm

I have intentionally put this into the Disappointment and Rejection Mega-thread because I think it offers more useful information here than anywhere else. Please do move elsewhere if needed.
  • 2006 – graduation from ‘red brick university’ with 2:1, Assistant Psychologist post, Research Assistant post, Marriage, 1st child born in 2009

2011 – first application, interviews at 2 universities

2012 – 2nd child born, diagnosis of MS, world fell apart – ‘Forget DClinPsy, I’ll never manage it with such fatigue symptoms’, etc.

2017 – Managing MS well, kids now at school, 2nd application after 4 years in same AP post, no interviews, very old academic reference (from 2007)

2018/9 – PG Certificate in Mental Health Studies, new academic reference, one interview

2019/20 – after 6 years in the same Band 4 AP post (!) I finally manage to successfully move to a new role within psychology, Band 5 – 4 interviews (!!!) – 1 offer, 1 still awaiting feedback – over the moon.
Since my undergraduate degree that ended in 2006, I have been the longest-serving assistant psychologist ever known, that’s 14 years plus minus in total. I’m now turning 38.

I have wanted to become a psychologist since the age of 12. This year was my last try - I was finally at peace with the idea that I would switch career if I was yet again unsuccessful.

So what helped?

In order of importance:
  • Being more relaxed, particularly doing Headspace meditation during the last 30 minutes prior to interview
  • No ‘learning of information’ and major preparations for the interviews, in my case, ‘less is more’, but instead relying on my internal knowledge that’s already there
  • Mock interview and sound advice from experienced mentor
  • Having a real back up plan in case all failed again this year – rejections didn’t ‘matter’ as much this time

I hope that my path will inspire you to follow your own personal goals and aspirations – whether that regarding DClinPsy, or anything else in life.

boayg

Post by boayg » Sun May 24, 2020 9:39 pm

I thought to share my whole journey of rejections and successes hoping that it may help in any way for anyone who are fed up with the process for any posts/courses within psychology. As you'll see, I did not specify what sorts of posts I had, as I believe this doesn't matter given all of us will have our own unique experiences.

This year was my last attempt applying for the DClinPsy as it was hard to keep going through the same process all over again, and some of my reflections I wrote below may not apply to others.

2013: Graduated from psychology with 'high' 2:1. I did not think about looking for voluntary work as I was arrogant and naive - then I paid the price of not getting ahead early on.

2013-14: Completed masters at KCL alongside doing 8 months of working as an honorary assistant psychologist. The honorary post occurred by chance and the offer was from my dissertation supervisor (which I am still extremely grateful for) as no other placements would consider me due to having no mental health experience. After completing my masters I applied to 20-30 AP jobs across the country - I had no interviews or feedback. I literally had no real idea about the path towards CP, and I didn't have a clue, or much rather - I dismissed the hardships that were going to be thrown at me - and yes I was still young and naive.

2015-16 - I got my first HCA role for 1 year. Within the last 6 months of being an HCA, I applied to 20 odd AP jobs across South England - 6 unsuccessful interviews. . I then finally secured my first AP role.

2017-2018 - My contract for my current AP job was ending and I was not successful in my other AP applications. I didn't apply for clinical training at the time as I wasn't ready. Rejected after 1 AP interview, no interviews for any other posts. I was lucky I got another AP post just before my contact ended

Since then I have been applying to the DClinPsy course (summary below) but I still felt green with the process despite having a psychology team supporting me in the last 3 years. I have had two other AP jobs between 2018-2020. I have been unsuccessful after further 3-4 AP interviews between 2018-2019, and have also applied for 6 RA posts - with 1 unsuccessful interview.

In terms of my dclin journey:

2018:
UCL
IOPPN
Royal Holloway

Salomons (sat test)

2019:
UCL
IOPPN
Salomons (sat test)
Hertfordshire

2020:
UCL
IOPPN

Salomons
Surrey

Previously I was resenting this process but at the same time, I was grateful and appreciative that I had interviews every year compared to other applicants. So I thought to myself - what went wrong with me? I am not the sort to show off, so this was a major limitation within me in terms of showcasing my potential both in my application forms and to the panels at interviews.

I am not entirely sure what led to me getting a place on training this year as I always felt I could've done better in hindsight. Whether it was either that I connected better with the panel at Salomons this year, or I just ended up saying the right things on that particular day, or down to luck - who knows! What definitely changed was my confidence in conveying myself in front of the panel, and learning to not waffle and be succinct (I previously had the tendency to always justify/explain/elaborate everything I said which must've been a nightmare for panellists). I was also in a better place this year personally and professionally which helped to not feel too pressured. I said to myself "as long as I gave it everything, then I'll have no regrets".

The struggles for me were not having the capacity or insight about how to develop myself. This part of my development was slower compared to other people due to various reasons, and part of it is my own fault. I guess I was initially regretting some things in life such as wishing I got a first, finding opportunities to publish papers, getting an RA posts - all of these just to stand out more amongst other people.

What helped me throughout the years (again - it may not apply to you) were:
  • Being honest with myself, and be realistic about what I could do to change with any limitations I have.
  • I knew I was bad at interviews after two attempts applying for DClinPsy, so I then practiced every month with psychologists. I asked for feedback to be direct and brutal, and I'd rather receive this than have something sugar coated.
  • Not getting bogged down on thinking whether what I say to the panel will sound "smart" or "good"
  • Making the most out of where I worked regardless
  • Feeling content with other things in my life. This year has helped me to feel more settled and I believe this definitely played a part in my outcome
  • I stayed away from hearing about everyone's application progress, I personally found this unhelpful.

I hope this post will be somewhat relatable. As I know how tough this process is, particularly for BME males like myself, I would now want to repay the support given to me by helping others who share similar experiences as me, and are also applying onto the DClin training.

Rebecca123

Post by Rebecca123 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:45 pm

From 2011-2020 I have applied every year and never received one interview from any university.

I've lurked the forum for years and this is my first post.

I Just wanted to add to this thread in case there are others like me who are veterans at the application process and who share similar feelings of disappointment. I never really see others on this forum who have persisted this long, but if you're out there you aren't alone although you may feel like it! Ive never worked with anyone who has persisted more than 2/3 applications and I would love to chat to others in a similar situation to me to see how you guys manage each year/view the future.

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:17 pm

Rebecca123 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:45 pm
From 2011-2020 I have applied every year and never received one interview from any university.

I've lurked the forum for years and this is my first post.

I Just wanted to add to this thread in case there are others like me who are veterans at the application process and who share similar feelings of disappointment. I never really see others on this forum who have persisted this long, but if you're out there you aren't alone although you may feel like it! Ive never worked with anyone who has persisted more than 2/3 applications and I would love to chat to others in a similar situation to me to see how you guys manage each year/view the future.
Welcome to the forum Rebecca. I hope that now you've posted once you'll feel able to join in other discussions. Have you had feedback about your application during this time?
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare