ClinPsy Progress & Successes ~ 2009!

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Lil_Angel

Post by Lil_Angel » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:08 am

Don't be disheartened pkarania, It will happen for you, and when it does it will feel that much better because you'll know how much you've had to persevere.

With regards to the whole BEM thing, the selectors don't actually know what your background is or even your name until you are selected for interview so that's definitely not holding you back. Its different once you get to the interview stage obviously but that's a whole other ball game. Coming from an ethnic minority background myself I completely understand how you feel. To be honest I think you've answered yourself in terms of your dyslexia, you said you didn't want an interview based on that alone and that's why you didn't declare it. Perhaps its best not to dwell on it and move on to bigger and better!

I really don't think I'm the best person to advise you on any career changes but perhaps you can discuss that with someone you know and who knows you better.

Good luck with everything and hope you feel better about it all soon x
We'll be friends until we are old and senile... Then we'll be new friends

dazey

Post by dazey » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:21 am

Concerning disabilities etc, I have spoken to Oxford and they suggest it's worth mentioning, not to get an interview (because signing up to the 'double take' scheme is optional and they don't!) but because you can describe what you have learned from your experiences and how this may help you to undersatnd others - our disabilities are part of who we are because we experience the world through them so we shouldn't be expected to hide them - I've decided not to be put off applying again - stand up and be counted!

Deus

Post by Deus » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:33 pm

Mine is a slightly disappointing spread of red and a splash of orange!

Sheffield
Leeds
Manchester

Trent

Lynne

Post by Lynne » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:56 pm

UCL
IoP
Oxford

Royal Holloway

The first time I applied, so I'm quite pleased
:)

psych_lad

Post by psych_lad » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:03 pm

Lil_Angel wrote:With regards to the whole BEM thing, the selectors don't actually know what your background is or even your name until you are selected for interview so that's definitely not holding you back.
I really don't think I'm the best person to advise you on any career changes but perhaps you can discuss that with someone you know and who knows you better.
You have to put your name at the top of the page of the application form....surely courses still see your name on your application form?
Psych_lad

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:47 pm

psych_lad wrote:You have to put your name at the top of the page of the application form....surely courses still see your name on your application form?
You don't get to see names or addresses or ages when short-listing for jobs, so I don't know that you would get to see them if short-listing for a clinical course....
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

katyboo

Post by katyboo » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:04 pm

you don't as far as i'm aware. i'm not even sure that the same person sees the whole form- i seem to recall a course that divides up the sections and gives them to people separately to rate( i might be imagining that though as its a hazy memory).

blueray

Post by blueray » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:08 pm

i'm afraid the above is not entirely true, some courses definately see the names, location and addresses of applications and those doing the shortlisting see the entire form.

there are most probably a majority of universities who cover these.

i am sure all universities do not take any of the aforementioned factors into account, but some definately prefer to recruit younger applicants.

psych_lad

Post by psych_lad » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:17 pm

blueray wrote:i'm afraid the above is not entirely true, some courses definately see the names, location and addresses of applications and those doing the shortlisting see the entire form.
Yes I think so too. Even for NHS jobs I have seen many people on interviews panels who have a copy of your application form with the front page! I don't think it is supposed to happen though.
Psych_lad

Lil_Angel

Post by Lil_Angel » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:13 pm

I spoke to one shortlister on the edinburgh course and he said the shortlisting process is entirely anonymous, he didn't even get to see names. Don't know how that works in terms of our names at the top of the application but I know that for jobs in the NHS (I helped shortlist in a previous post) we were only given the pages that didn't have names, once we had selected applicants we sent the reference numbers of the applications selected and then the HR dept sent the other pages for the interviews.

I always thought the clearing house were responsible for keeping our data anonymous and that this was consistent across all unis, but perhaps that's not the case. If they use the same process as NHS (can only speak for NHS Scotland) then to be honest I do think that's fair enough.

Perhaps this would be good to have confirmed if someone is up for giving them a call!

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:59 pm

psych_lad wrote:Yes I think so too. Even for NHS jobs I have seen many people on interviews panels who have a copy of your application form with the front page! I don't think it is supposed to happen though.
By interview you have the whole form, so you know who to invite to interview and what name to call out when you want to see them! But at short-listing you definitely do not have this information. Making judgements based on age or ethnicity is illegal and employers would not risk being thought to have done this.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Lil_Angel

Post by Lil_Angel » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:41 pm

Final tally looks like:

Salomons
Glasgow
Edinburgh
UEL

Good luck with interview prep everyone :D

uea

Post by uea » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:30 pm

UEA (First choice)
Oxford
IoP
UCL

appletea

Post by appletea » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:27 am

Surrey failed the test!!!!
UEL
UCL
RH

Goodluck everyone.

brfc

Post by brfc » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:50 am

Just heard from Bangor:

Bangor
Lancaster
Plymouth
Shropshire & Staffordshire

Have to get up to Bangor by Thursday and have an exam tomorrow!