How many times did you apply?

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here

How many times had you applied when you were sucessful?

One
37%
Two
31%
Three
19%
Four
9%
Five
3%
Six
1%
Seven or more (please post the number below)
1%

Total votes: 594

BlueCat
Site Admin

How many times did you apply?

Post by BlueCat » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:49 pm

Following on from a post where someone suggests that the average number of times people apply to clinical psychology training is three, I wondered if we should conduct a member poll? Obviously we are a limited sample, but it might be enlightening.

So, how many times had you applied when you were successful?

Please count the successful year as well, so if it is your second year applying and you are selected, then the answer is twice.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Princess86

Post by Princess86 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:38 pm

I love that I'm seeing a lot of first time successes... It fills me with hope!! :lol:

astra

Post by astra » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:02 am

For me I was successful 2nd time but the first time I was nowhere near ready and had an awful supervisor who said she couldn't give me a good reference as she didn't think I was suited to the career :shock: Didn't even get an interview first time, but went off had a baby, had a much nicer AP post and applied again 2 years later in a much more ready state. I think a lot of people wait until they are ready, hence the 1st time successes. This poll obviously excludes people who didn't get on or took a different path, maybe many of those are the ones who tried 3+ times and cut their losses.

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:35 am

Astra that is so true. I was successful on my first application, but it could have been my second. The first year I thought about applying, I got the application pack, had a look at the form, and just thought "no way can I do this justice" with my experience at that time, which was odds and ends of voluntary stuff throughout my degree, about six months half time research assistant, half time residential support worker in a school for children with severe learning disabilities, and voluntary AP one day a week. I instead concentrated on AP applications, got one, and was successful with my application to training the following year.
Last edited by BlueCat on Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

eponymous85

Post by eponymous85 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:44 am

Ditto here; I never did the 'apply just in case' thing, I made my first application when I felt ready 2 years after graduating. First year I only had 3-6 months patchy experience, and the second year my partner was applying for his course. He only had one shot and a choice of 3 unis at disparate corners of the country (graduate medicine doesn't take too kindly to 2.2's either!) , so we decided to wait until we knew where he would be. I could have easily applied three times before I got a place, I just chose to wait.

loopylisa

Post by loopylisa » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:34 am

I think its really good advice to wait till your ready and have built up a strong clinical/academic profile or both. However we do all know this is a very competitive process and waiting till your ready may not be enough to aid a successful application in all cases. In my case I have waited until I felt ready, two years after graduation after a graduate mental health worker post and an AP post and other clinical and voluntary work and received four outright rejections. Maybe i will look back next year and realise i wasnt ready but right now I feel ready and it wasnt enough.
'when i get sad, i stop being sad and be AWESOME instead'

Please Ring My Mummy. I Think I Might Be Dead ... Everything Is Flat And Im In A Bubble..

astra

Post by astra » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:26 pm

so frustrating to be in that position loopylisa! I know i thought I was ready my first time but looking back I wasn't. But you're right too that it is competitive and some people who may be ready may just not make it through shortlisting because they just don't quite stand out enough this time. Another year and another bout of application fever probably seems too much to deal with right now, but with another year's experience, hopefully you'll shine next time and you'll be up there with the successful 2nd timers like me!

katja

Post by katja » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:56 pm

Thanks everyone for this poll its a really interesting discussion. I find it really normalising as its been my experience that most people get on first or second time, yet there seems to be this IMHO incorrect assumption or belief that it takes longer.

Its a difficult balance as you want to encourage people to apply again (especially if you yourself have been successful at getting a place), but at the same time that is an obstacle to open and constructive discussion around the affect of multiple applications and alternatives, for example, taking a break, building on your skills or different jobs.
There's nothing wrong in applying more times, if that's the right thing for the person, believe you me i'm there! Its the assumption that it takes multiple x applications and the abscence of other perspectives that I find perplexing.

I think its really encouraging that people are applying when they feel ready and describe how they knew this. I wish I had discovered this site back then. My supervisor encouraged me to apply the first time I applied, I didn't feel ready, but he said you can't tell who will get lucky, and it would be good experience to go through it (although obviously it was ultimately my choice). I received 4 rejections at form stage and my confidence was knocked. On reflection I see it like taking my driving test, you wouldn't put in for your test if you didn't meet the requirements, although of course there is still how you perform on the day! I found out that Exeter and Newcastle (possibly other Universities but I have not come across them) have handouts that are very helpful in seeing if you are ready, they have kind of example questions that you might be asked so you can see if you feel like you could answer them.

loopylisa

Post by loopylisa » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:33 pm

katja wrote: I found out that Exeter and Newcastle (possibly other Universities but I have not come across them) have handouts that are very helpful in seeing if you are ready, they have kind of example questions that you might be asked so you can see if you feel like you could answer them.
really?! cus ive trawled through the exeter site multiple times and never found this..?! id be really interested if you could point me in the right direction for this cus its one of my top choices for eventual training
'when i get sad, i stop being sad and be AWESOME instead'

Please Ring My Mummy. I Think I Might Be Dead ... Everything Is Flat And Im In A Bubble..

katja

Post by katja » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:57 pm

loopylisa wrote:
katja wrote: I found out that Exeter and Newcastle (possibly other Universities but I have not come across them) have handouts that are very helpful in seeing if you are ready, they have kind of example questions that you might be asked so you can see if you feel like you could answer them.
really?! cus ive trawled through the exeter site multiple times and never found this..?! id be really interested if you could point me in the right direction for this cus its one of my top choices for eventual training
Here it is, I found it after googling! http://tinyurl.com/ylftzkv

Peach

Post by Peach » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:59 pm

Is there anyone who applied who didn't feel ready but got a place? Many of you have said it's important to feel ready but I'm the kind of person who never has that sense of feeling ready for anything. Take Katja's dirving test analogy for instance: I booked my driving test purely because I was about to go off to uni and wanted at least one shot before i went. I didn't feel ready at all and my driving instructor didn't think I was ready ( I met the basic requirements in that I could drive and do maneuvers but one day I'd do them perfectly and the next I would stall repeatidly, be unable to do maneuvers at all and nearly crash into other cars. This was the case even an hour before my test :oops: ) but I did my test anyway and passed first time with flying colours.

I feel the same with regards to the doctorate, in that I'll never feel ready, I'll always feel that I'd maybe benefit from another AP post or another RA post even if i had done 10 and could reflect on them really well. I don't think it's a reflection on my confidence more on the fact I feel there's always going to be something more to learn and obviously you can't know everything but how do you know when you know enough?? For example those questions that Katja posted I can answer them confidently right now but if I had another years experience I could give even better answers, and with another years experience on top of that I would probably answer them even better and so on and so on...but when would it stop?

Anyway I guess what i'm asking is if you're someone who doesn't have that sense of 'feeling ready', what made you apply when you did? (Please tell me I'm not the only person who doesn't have that sense of feeling ready! :shock: :oops: :P )

Btw: I'm an excellent driver now and have not had any accidents or near misses in the three years I've had my licence. :lol:

katja

Post by katja » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:15 pm

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if I had seen those questions, I couldn't have answered them when I first applied, so looking back I don't think I was ready to go through the interview process then.
Last edited by katja on Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

mr_tippy

Post by mr_tippy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:19 pm

If you feel you can answer the questions confidently, why not have a go at applying? Clinical Psychologists are in the caring profession and have a lot of responsibility, but just like with any career, there is a time when the limitations and inadequacies you feel will always exist unless you take the responsible risk to pitch yourself for the next step and potentially help even further.

At the end of the day, some of those feelings of being limited in ability will always exist because you are an assistant, and sometimes reading people's posts it sounds like applicants feel they must already BE a qualified clinical psychologist in order to apply for the doctorate!

There must come a time when you as a potential applicant must take up the challenge and try and slay the dragon (like Gilly's funny image showed!) even if, with another year, you could fashion yourself some even thicker armour! If you feel uneasy with that risk, think of the challenges you pose and the risks felt by clients you work with on a daily basis!

Peach

Post by Peach » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:55 pm

mr_tippy wrote:
At the end of the day, some of those feelings of being limited in ability will always exist because you are an assistant, and sometimes reading people's posts it sounds like applicants feel they must already BE a qualified clinical psychologist in order to apply for the doctorate!
I'm not an assistant, I'm still an undergrad, so I don't meet the basic requirements just yet! I just spend a lot of time thinking ahead. :oops:

I definitly agree with your point about some people feeling like they must be a qualified psychologist before they apply. I've never understood that really because if you knew as much as a qualified psychologist, you wouldn't get as much from training.

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:08 pm

Interesting so far. We seem to be pretty much districuted between first and second time applicants with a few making more applications, which is a little different to the UCL stats I quoted on another thread....keep the responses coming!