How many times did you apply?

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here

How many times had you applied when you were sucessful?

One
36%
Two
31%
Three
19%
Four
9%
Five
3%
Six
1%
Seven or more (please post the number below)
1%

Total votes: 569

Tam91

Re: How many times did you apply?

Post by Tam91 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:45 pm

This is my first post on this forum so I hope it's okay to respond in this thread :D

It's almost my first time applying for Clinical Psych this year, and I have yet to find out whether I'm at the interview stage (just completed a few online screening tests first, eek! :shock: ), but to reiterate what everyone's saying here I too waited until a few years after graduation to get some solid experience under my belt before applying. Like a lot of people, I came out of my degree naively thinking that having a BSc was my ticket to being a suitable candidate for DClin - oh, young innocence! Almost 5 years later and only now do I feel that I have enough experience to give it a go.

Hoping I can pop back to this thread in a few months' time and tick that little '1' box in the poll above, but I'm trying to be realistic about it :wink:

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
JFox

Post by JFox » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:51 pm

Just to give my experience, I graduated in 2012 but waited until I felt ready in 2016 to apply my first time.

This year is my second year applying and I am thrilled to say that I have been offered a place :D I feel even more ready to be on training this year, and although I wanted it just as much last year, i feel the extra years experience has been invaluable!
If at first you don't succeed, try two more times so that your failure is statistically significant!

jlb36

Post by jlb36 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:19 pm

I got a place this year after my first time applying - I was really surprised and had been expecting to be trying multiple years but I got lucky.

I know some people find it helpful to have practice runs but I personally chose to wait until I felt confident that I would be able to meet minimum criteria etc before applying. It's such a brutal process at times - I didn't want to put myself through it until I felt like I had a reasonable chance of making it past the paper stage.

For me as well it was also important to wait until I felt personally ready to apply (even though on paper I possibly could have given it a go earlier). I waited to apply a lot later than a few of my friends but I waited to apply until I felt like I could feasibly see myself potentially starting the actual course the following Autumn. There were definitely years when I wouldn't have wanted to uproot and change my life/lose my work life balance etc. I think there's a danger we can be so focused on getting a successful application that we forget to think about whether it's the right time for us to start a three year course, possibly move etc etc.

I don't think there's a right or wrong time to apply - it seems very individual to be honest, but I think the main thing is to do what is right for you, knowing that there are no guarantees either way. If you feel that practice runs would be useful for you then go for it, but don't apply because it feels like you "should" be, or because other people are. Apply when it's the right time for you - personally and professionally.

gazdavies

Post by gazdavies » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:59 am

Just to add my thoughts. I applied three times and finally got on VERY late in the day after a deferral (see sometimes reserve lists even move in late August!). I applied totally out of blind optimism the first time and managed to do well in the clinical exam for Birmingham and got an interview. Interview went really well considering I had nothing really other than social work experience to reflect on, but obviously I didn't get in. The second year I felt much more prepared but had only just started my main experience strand (a 1 day a week honorary AP post), so even with a good reference I didn't get a single interview. This year I got three straight rejects and then finally got offered an interview with Cardiff. I was put on the reserve list rather than offered direct place,but Cardiff now have a policy of not informing anyone of ranking so I had no idea where.

I finally got the call on Thursday. Just goes to prove you only have to be lucky once, and that there is not necessarily any rhyme or reason to when you should or shouldn't apply. Looking back now I know I was much better prepared this year, but also much more relaxed, and most people say that was the feeling they had the year they got on. But then I only got on the reserve list, which goes to prove there's a huge amount of 'sliding doors' style luck to all these equations. If you feel ready to apply do it, if you don't definitely don't, there is an emotional toll to putting yourself through it, and having 'thought' I was lining up for a fourth run at it, the thought 'three strikes you're out' DEFINITELY came to mind following the disappointment of not getting a direct place. Think about whether you absolutely can do yourself justice before each application, and if you doubt it then wait.

None of these decisions are easy but neither is an application cycle. It is emotionally exhausting even if you like to think you're quite chilled. Be kind to yourself and remind yourself you are awesome all the time. I didn't do that enough. And be happy today. On placement one of the best snippets I ever got from a psychologist was when I said I didn't know what I'd do if I didn't get on the third time. She said 'nothing is a given, particularly in this climate. If you don't get on step back and think about what the options are. What's important to you? What's your value base? Does it have to be clinical psychology? You can make a difference to people's lives in so many ways, don't feel a failure if it can't be the original way you planned'. It seems super-wise now, but then I have had a glass of wine ;-)

I wish you all much luck.

Ninee

Post by Ninee » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:21 am

I've accepted a place at Bangor after 5 applications. My reflections are that I perhaps applied a bit too early and it ended up being a very aversive experience for me. To the point where I decided to take a year out and go travelling/working holidaying for a break from it all (and because I could). Came back late last year, got back into an AP post, applied for DClinPsy and got one reserve, which became an interview (thank you whoever you are) which became a place. Very grateful as I was likely going to abandon ship if it didn't happen this year.

Take home message - don't give up! And take every opportunity that comes your way :)