How many times did you apply?

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here

How many times had you applied when you were sucessful?

One
36%
Two
31%
Three
19%
Four
9%
Five
3%
Six
1%
Seven or more (please post the number below)
1%

Total votes: 593

vicky_r

Re: How many times did you apply?

Post by vicky_r » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:36 am

This was my first year of applying, I got two interviews and two offers. I think it is very hard to compare one anothers experiences or to judge whether or not you should apply as soon as possible (if anything "for the experience") or wait until you feel ready.

Do what feels right for you and your circumstances.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Jess89

Re:

Post by Jess89 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:00 pm

mr_tippy wrote:
sometimes reading people's posts it sounds like applicants feel they must already BE a qualified clinical psychologist in order to apply for the doctorate!
OMG I soooo agree with this! So frustrating applying for AP posts and being told you don't have enough experience when in fact you actually meet all the criteria, it just means they have already qualified AP's applying and I think exactly the same misconception sometimes lies with the doctorate...they involve supervision for a reason otherwise we wouldn't be looking for the training if we were already qualified.

Rant over :mrgreen:

BenJMan

Re: Re:

Post by BenJMan » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:51 pm

Jess89 wrote:
mr_tippy wrote:
sometimes reading people's posts it sounds like applicants feel they must already BE a qualified clinical psychologist in order to apply for the doctorate!
OMG I soooo agree with this! So frustrating applying for AP posts and being told you don't have enough experience when in fact you actually meet all the criteria, it just means they have already qualified AP's applying and I think exactly the same misconception sometimes lies with the doctorate...they involve supervision for a reason otherwise we wouldn't be looking for the training if we were already qualified.

I think there is a dangerous misconception in there somewhere...

The first bit to pick up on is that if you come across in a doctorate interview as a 'qualified clinical psychologist', you are not getting a place on the doctorate :P If interviewers feel that people already consider themselves qualified and competant it's seen as a very negative sign for someone who has not even started training. I think the OP mentioning a misconception that people 'feel' they must be qualified and the reality are somewhat different from what you are feeling Jess89.

The idea of 'qualified AP's', baffles me a bit (its a term ive heard a lot before), what is a 'qualified AP' ? There is no professional qualification or nationally agreed person specification. What I suppose people are getting at is the idea that they are interviewing against candidates who have been AP's before and have a greater level of experience. In these cases I'd hold a few things in mind.. yes, there is a very strong chance you will be interviewing against candidates with previous AP experience (if you have not got any), however these people were not always AP's (or other similar posts), everyone has come from somewhere. Employers are looking for candidates who make the most of the experience they have had and have the potential to serve themw ell in future, not just anyone who 'meets all the criteria'. I got my AP post up against around 8 much more experienced candidates, who failed to sell their experience as well as I managed to do on the day. There are a wealth of these types of stories on ClinPsy alone if you open your eyes to them. It's hard sometimes not to get stuck in the negative thinking patterns that we strive to pull our clients out of but if you examine the evidence you will find that most of the time the candidate who can sell themself best tends to get the role, be they someone with a list of previous experience or not :)

Ben.
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.

BenJMan

Post by BenJMan » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:34 pm

This was technically my 3rd time applying, though the first time I applied I had only been an AP for 4 months with a bit of research experience, so I like to think this was my second proper attempt :)
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.

Tiggerman

Post by Tiggerman » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:47 pm

Very same as BenJMan, 1st time applying was to two uni's with an incomplete application and VERY limited experience. So this was my second serious time applying :)
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals - Winston Churchill

MidlandsPsychologist

Post by MidlandsPsychologist » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:55 am

I got a place on my second application. I think for the majority of my cohort we all had applied at least twice. I don't think anyone had applied just once!
www.westmidlandspsychology.com

Gilly

Post by Gilly » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:40 pm

this was my third application - 1st was straight out of masters/not very good, 2nd was into my first AP post, got 1 interview, this one got my place :)
You're not calling for help, are you?! ;)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln.

Yomama

Post by Yomama » Tue May 28, 2013 12:03 pm

This is my fourth time applying, however to be honest my first application I just did for the experience and same for my second. I actually had no experience both times, but wanted to practice going through it, writing the application, talking to people and generally being engaged and following. I was still working in another profession at the time....

Last year I applied for the third time while doing a masters (which I was told is fine, but some courses prefer applicants to have finished all courses so they can see what they got, especially the more academic ones, which are those that I applied to because I am very keen on research) and I had one PWP (trainee) year under my belt. I didn't expect anything from the application form, but applied to test courses to see whether I could slip in that way. Nope. Bit of a lottery I feel.

This year was the first year I applied with enough experience (two PWP years) for all of the courses and research experience (one published paper). I got two interviews and one reserve interview place.

What I have learned is that referees matter, being reflective on the form matters and some research experience (well, for the courses I applied to, having thought through research design thoroughly and being put through the ringer really helped at interview).

My first interview I didn't get. The thing is, so many people apply so many times that they know the format and what kind of questions to expect. I didn't. Every question was new to me! So if you are a first timer like I was, being able to talk to someone who has had that interview at some point is invaluable. I did that for my second interview and got through. It was all on me, but I wasn't 'surprised' at any of the questions. That was the clincher.

Hope that advice helps people out there.

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:36 pm

Given the time of year, I am bumping this post to encourage those people who will be starting training this autumn to contribute, so that our statistics are as representative as can be. We have had 242 responses since March 2010, which is pretty high, but I'm sure we have more users than this who have gained training places, and probably lots from this round who haven't voted yet.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

kfoxx

Post by kfoxx » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:50 pm

Hey everyone, this was my first time applying, I had 2 interviews and 2 reserve places one of which led to a place.

Rach341

Post by Rach341 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:24 am

I'm 25 and didn't feel ready to apply until this year. This was my first time applying...I got one interview and was offered a place!! :D

Squirrel3518

Post by Squirrel3518 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:15 pm

This year was the first time I've applied, was offered one interview and consequently offered one place. :shock: :D

The best piece of advice that I could give - dont apply until you feel truely ready to do so. In my opinion there is little benefit in applying for the sake of doing so.

Best of luck for all applying in the future! :mrgreen: :alien:

mellymels29

Re: Re:

Post by mellymels29 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:17 pm

BenJMan wrote:
Jess89 wrote:
mr_tippy wrote:

I think there is a dangerous misconception in there somewhere...

The firqst bit to pick up on is that if you come across in a doctorate interview as a 'qualified clinical psychologist', you are not getting a place on the doctorate :P If interviewers feel that people already consider themselves qualified and competant it's seen as a very negative sign for someone who has not even started training. I think the OP mentioning a misconception that people 'feel' they must be qualified and the reality are somewhat different from what you are feeling Jess89.

The idea of 'qualified AP's', baffles me a bit (its a term ive heard a lot before), what is a 'qualified AP' ? There is no professional qualification or nationally agreed person specification. What I suppose people are getting at is the idea that they are interviewing against candidates who have been AP's before and have a greater level of experience. In these cases I'd hold a few things in mind.. yes, there is a very strong chance you will be interviewing against candidates with previous AP experience (if you have not got any), however these people were not always AP's (or other similar posts), everyone has come from somewhere. Employers are looking for candidates who make the most of the experience they have had and have the potential to serve themw ell in future, not just anyone who 'meets all the criteria'. I got my AP post up against around 8 much more experienced candidates, who failed to sell their experience as well as I managed to do on the day. There are a wealth of these types of stories on ClinPsy alone if you open your eyes to them. It's hard sometimes not to get stuck in the negative thinking patterns that we strive to pull our clients out of but if you examine the evidence you will find that most of the time the candidate who can sell themself best tends to get the role, be they someone with a list of previous experience or not :)

Ben.
I tried for years to get an AP post and never succeeded. Yet here I am with an offer at Surrey. My advice : be mindful of the courses you apply to. Know yourself and your experience well and apply accordingly. (see the alternative habdbook). Reflect, reflect, reflect. Surrey didn't ask and questions specifically about particular types of experience. They give vignettes for people to reflect on so the experience itself is standardised. I found it most helpful to work on interview techniques. I perceived the Surrey interview as an oral exam. Work on being concise and ANSWERING THE QUESTION (this really challenges me). It helps to be familiar with the person spec and commonly asked interview questions. When you begin to decode what is at the crux of the question, and you are prepared then you may find that in the high pressure, stressful environment, the answers will be much more accessible. Also, this reduces the number of questions that could be asked significantly and thus reduced anxiety (e.g. The question: 'how might a clinical psychologist improve services' - Monday be decoded as 'how can service user involvement improve services' AND 'why is leadership important in the role of a clinical psychologist' AND 'how can research benefit psychology etc. P. S. This is just a random example). I conditioned my mind. You really do have to believe that clinical psychology is for you and that you are simply presenting your case to interviewers. I was confident yet reflective in my answers, we ARE NOT Clinical psychologists when we interview but having an open and honest mind with the capacity to learn and apply psychology. demonstrating robustness is key to dealing with the pressures of training. Oh and also the ability/readiness/capacity to learn at doctoral level (basically articulate well and demonstrate that you're bright).

After having applied 3 times, I think I was only ready the third time. In my humble opinion, (and it really is humble as I have O key ever had 2 interviews in those 3 yrs) Maturity really does count for a lot (and this isn't necessarily about age!). But I have to say I learned a lot each year. My application has improved tremendously (I cringe at my first one ugh, although I got 1 interview through exam at salomons). And they kept me focused. I strived to learn more, as setbacks do motivate me.

This is my experience /view. What do others think?

All the best all!

xx

(edited as there was a copious amount of typos!)

Randall

Post by Randall » Thu May 08, 2014 4:39 pm

There seems to be some mixed opinions on the benefits of applying, even if you don't feel ready...I have always been of the opinion that you should just go for it...If I hadn't have completed mine straight out of the undergraduate degree, then I would have not have adapted to the system for the following year. It was good trial run for me!

As much as I was tempted to ignore my first attempt (which like many others, I disregard), the poll compelled me to be entirely truthful! As a result I am one of the 5% who applied 4 times overall! Battered and bruised, but heads held high! :eye: :lol:

murray

Post by murray » Tue May 13, 2014 3:44 pm

I applied twice; I had an interview at Surrey based on the exam during the first application. I actually wasn't going to apply this year as I felt I didn't have anything extra to add to my form than I did when I applied first time, forgetting the crucial point that it's not about the quantity of experience, it's about what you've learned and how you reflect! After being dragged along to some clinical psychology talks I completely re-drafted my personal statement although the rest of the form remained the same. This resulted in an interview based on the application form and then an offer.

I personally didn't apply until I felt 'ready' - I think what I mean by that however is that I had ticked off the main essential criteria and a little bit extra, ie. NHS experience, worked with a couple of client groups, research and clinical experience and also clinical supervision. I think do whatever you feel comfortable with though!