How many times did you apply?

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here

How many times had you applied when you were sucessful?

One
36%
Two
31%
Three
19%
Four
8%
Five
3%
Six
1%
Seven or more (please post the number below)
1%

Total votes: 604

AnonymousMouse

Re: How many times did you apply?

Post by AnonymousMouse » Tue May 13, 2014 7:01 pm

I applied once, but I had a degree, a masters degree and about 2.5-3 years full time equivalent work experience at the time of applying. I really tried to take my time and enjoy all of my posts, learning what I could, and I worked across loads of different settings and with different client groups. I also held off until I felt ready to apply - I had seen peers go through the application process, and I didn't want to put myself through it until I felt ready to start training and felt as though I actually had a good shot.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Psychological

Post by Psychological » Tue May 13, 2014 7:52 pm

I have also just got on after my first attempt and first interview. Like AnonymousMouse above me I also waited until I felt ready to apply. I could have applied for the last few years and probably would not have gotten very far. This year was the first year I thought I may have a shot.

Jottlebot

Post by Jottlebot » Mon May 19, 2014 12:28 pm

This was my 5th time applying! Not sure why, but I do feel bad about that. Maybe if I had got on sooner I'd feel better or maybe I'd just feel scared that I'd bitten off more than I could chew I don't know.

I wish I hadn't applied the first year I did, but I felt that it was the thing to do. I got nowhere until the 3rd time then I was on the interview reserve list, last year I was on the reserve for a place and this year I got a place outright!

I completely changed my application form this year and wrote the "selling yourself" bit a bit like a monologue I suppose. It was more reflective than my usual "I can do this and I did it then...and I can do this and I did it then...", which had been the way I wrote them before, not because I thought this was the right way, but I got worried I would not get in as much information as I could if I didn't. I took a gamble this year - or it felt like it - and I'd also decided not to apply again, it paid off. :D

Johanna89

Post by Johanna89 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:03 am

I applied twice. Last year I got one reserve for interview out of four courses I applied for and this year I got one outright interview and no other interviews or reserves at all. I was offered a place from my one and only interview. It only takes one ...

johanna x

AnalyseThis

Post by AnalyseThis » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:12 pm

I got on second time of asking. I definitely felt more ready than the first time and having the extra year has helped me to develop some valuable skills, which I hope will hold me in good stead on training.

annaph

Post by annaph » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:11 pm

I have got on a place on my first time applying... but only just! I had three interviews and three reserve places. I thought I didn't have a place but got a call this week to say a place has become available! I feel very lucky! It could well have been 2nd/3rd or 4th time if this hadn't of happened!

I have a first class degree, a masters and I had worked in an IAPT service over 4 years before I applied. I didn't feel I was ready previously so didn't attempt to apply until I felt it was the right time.

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:50 pm

307 responses to the poll to date. Keep them coming people - the more we have, the more representative of the acceptance landscape the figures are.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

RickyG

Post by RickyG » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:46 am

1 gcse (C in theatre studies woop :P )
No a-levels
BSc Psychology 2:1
MSc Research Methods in Psychology
PGCert Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner (2 1/2 years)
PWP Clinical Supervisor

And about 3 years of various assistant psyc jobs
2 years of volunteer in different areas (Stroke, Psychosis Unit etc)

I am a mature student (went to uni at 25) and I am 33 now.

1st time applying and got 1 interview and 1 offer.

moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:05 pm

RickyG wrote: 1st time applying and got 1 interview and 1 offer.
Impressive! I bet you're over the moon. Well done - hope you're celebrating! :)
There may not always be a solution to the problem, but there is always another perspective...

RickyG

Post by RickyG » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:57 pm

Still lent but will be come the weekend :P

Biggsy1988

Post by Biggsy1988 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:16 pm

I applied three times. First application - one interview, from that reserve list for a place. Same outcome on my second application. Third application I got my offer of a place with another interview on the table (that I am withdrawing from). I totally get what people say about being ready though. The last 2 years I thought I was but this year I realise how wrong I was. This year I can say for certain I am ready,.
When it comes to dreams one may falter, but the only way to fail is to abandon them - Alexander Grayson (Dracula 2013)

mindyourhead

Post by mindyourhead » Wed May 20, 2015 11:48 am

First time applying. I feel very fortunate after hearing about much longer journeys!

I secured two interviews on my first application. I am certain that if I'd only had one interview, I would be applying again next year. The first interview was such a good experience to learn how to present myself confidently, provide examples, and use psychological terminology in my answers. Use the feedback!
The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

enid

Post by enid » Wed May 20, 2015 12:50 pm

Thought I'd voted/posted but apparently not! I applied once. Two interviews - one straight offer of a place. I graduated from my degree as a mature (ish) student in 2004 though, so have had a lot of experience, etc., as only decided I wanted to do clinical more recently. I guess I was afraid of it in the past - the long (low-paid - big factor for me) journey, fear of rejection, etc., so maybe needed to mature even more, to find my passion, confidence, and develop skills in order to have a good shot.

rfdes

Post by rfdes » Wed May 20, 2015 1:33 pm

Applied 3 times. First year was straight after uni applied to uni's that didn't state a minimum about of experience needed (my practice run-applied the night before)- no interviews. Second year only applied to courses that enabled me to sit a selection test- 3 interviews, 1 reserve list for a place. This year applied to 2 courses that enabled me to sit a selection test and 2 London courses- 2 interviews (selection test), 1 reserve list for a place and 1 straight offer for a place.

Katy7

Post by Katy7 » Sat May 23, 2015 11:45 pm

First time applicant, 1 interview, 1 offer! Still can't quite believe it I literally did not think I would get on this year! It was the first year I felt I actually had a well rounded skillset to even attempt to apply. I graduated in 2011. Got my first relevant job in early 2012. Did my MSc 2013/2014 and have fit in a mixture of experience in the middle in short bursts so I'm going to be glad to be on training for 3 years in one place (well kind of) !