How many times did you apply?

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here

How many times had you applied when you were sucessful?

One
36%
Two
31%
Three
19%
Four
8%
Five
3%
Six
1%
Seven or more (please post the number below)
1%

Total votes: 604

kaaatt

Re: How many times did you apply?

Post by kaaatt » Fri May 29, 2015 4:24 pm

I applied 4 consecutive years,

However the first 2 were definitely way too early.

The first time I was still an Undergraduate, the second time I had only just finished my Master's (I had been a HCA throughout these)
The third time I had just started working as an AP in private healthcare, but I'd only been there for about a month so was just getting to grips with things. I had no interview offers in the first 3 years.
And the fourth time, I had been an AP for just over a year. For this application I also went back and completely changed my application - I made it much more focussed on reflecting on what I've gained from my expereinces rather than trying to make it a ticklist of things that I've done. This application landed me 2 interviews, and one reserve offer which has finally turned to a place!

I definititely feel that this year was the right year for it to be successful now, as I've gained a lot of experience over this time!

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
JessicaAnn13

Post by JessicaAnn13 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:27 am

Hi all,

Bit of a forum newbie, but I thought I'd add to this thread as I wanted to encourage people you don't need an AP post or years of experience to be successful! This was my first time applying, I got 3 interview offers (Manchester, Leeds & Kings) but was accepted after my first interview, so cancelled the other two interviews as Manchester was always my first choice.

I did think carefully about when I wanted to do apply and was mindful to not do so too early, but was still very shocked at how smoothly the process went! One thing I decided to not do, was look at any forms of people I knew who had been successful. I do think this helped me just reflect on what I'd learnt over the last few years, and not be influenced on 'what makes a good form'!

x

2ndtimelucky

Post by 2ndtimelucky » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:23 pm

As my user name suggests, I have been offered a place this year after 2 attempts. Like others who posted here I wanted to show that it doesn't take years of all types of experience to get on the course - I didn't have much and it was mostly with one client group (more info on the experience thread). Hang in there!

alphanumeric

Post by alphanumeric » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:41 am

I am happy to say that after 7 years of applying and a number of reserve list offers, I have finally been offered a place on a course. It's been a difficult battle over the years and I have come close to giving up several times, but I have learned a lot and developed a huge amount along the way.
The feeling of rejection never gets easier, but I learned that the course was not the be all and end all of my life. I made a decision after a few years not to keep putting my life on hold until after I got on. Now I have a beautiful wife and daughter and feel I've really achieved something personally. The icing on the cake is getting on the course and I'm so excited to start this next chapter.
I guess the moral of my story, in my opinion, is don't give up. If you really want it then it's worth fighting for and persevering. It can be done.

Bexstock

Post by Bexstock » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:34 pm

This year was my second time of applying and I was lucky enough to get a place.
I graduated 11 years ago and even at that point I was slightly older than the average applicant.
Over the years I have considered applying several times but having 2 children during that time I decided to delay.
I felt really ready for it when I made my first application last year but I got nowhere! This year I decided to let the real me do the talking on the form rather than using all of the buzzwords. I got an interview at Bangor and following a screening exam I also got an interview at Staffs. I found my first interview really stressful and felt like I wasn't letting the real me shine through; I was far to focused on what I thought they were looking for. I was not offered a place.
Having reflected on my experience and with the added benefit of feedback from the first interview, I approached my second interview with a whole new attitude.
Good luck to everyone with their future applications. I wanted to share this as I had hang ups about leaving it too late and having somewhat atypical experiences over the years. if I hadn't addressed those hang ups and focused on my strengths and capabilities I doubt I would have got he place. For anyone in a similar position to me, I would encourage you to draw on the life experience that being a little older brings. :D

Nads

Post by Nads » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:22 pm

I graduated 7 years ago and I have been offered a place on my third application. I decided not to apply for the first 4 years as I wanted to wait until I felt like I had more experience so this could have easily have been 7 time application if I decided not to wait. Congratulations for those who have a place and good luck to the applicants for next year :)

CurlyHair
Team Member

Post by CurlyHair » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:57 am

I applied 3 times, the first was a bit of a longshot as I'd only just graduated - then I waited till I had way more experience. On the second application I got no interviews, on the third I got one at Edinburgh and was offered a place. 5 years after graduating from my BSc and 2 years post MSc.

I am a career changer type, so will be starting training at 38 - which is good as my goal was to get on by 40 :D

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:07 pm

So there's 376 responses to this as of today. It would be great if all our 2016 successful applicants can add their data.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

Gribblycraic

Post by Gribblycraic » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:51 pm

second application was successful, i'd been working 2 years in NHS at this stage and following on from the first application I'd a much better idea of how to portray myself and my knowledge and experiences, this included honesty and acknowledging across multiple parts of the interview that I wasn't sure, i didn't know or just talked through my thinking out loud. Much more than my first application and previous interview :lol:

Beryl

Post by Beryl » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:40 pm

I have been successful on my third application. I approached the interview in a very different way from those before it. I really believe talking through all my thoughts and decision making, and just being me, got me through the interview. The best advice I had from a Consultant Clinical Psychologist was to be brave and turn the 'filter' down so that I allowed people to be aware of my knowledge and understanding, rather than being worried about saying the wrong thing.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:25 pm

This was my second application, although I'd not applied until I felt I had enough relevant experience, several years after finishing university.

For me 'enough' meant working in a few different settings, with a few different client groups, and although this is not necessary to get on the course, I'd recommend it to anyone. :)

Lilly

Post by Lilly » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:21 pm

I'm probably quite a large amount above the norm but this was either my 8th or 9th application, I have honestly lost count. :oops: delighted to have got there in the end though.
Forever blowing bubbles....

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:32 pm

This was my first application BUT I waited a few years until I was really sure I was ready. I've definitely been on a round about route via work in education, research and support work.

firegal
Team Member

Post by firegal » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:55 pm

Five, but I definitely should not have bothered with the first 3.

Application number 1: hadn't finished undergrad (was hoping a few years as a support worker for adults with physical disabilities would count for the relevant experience...it didn't)
2: graduated, had just started MRes (still no extra experience)
3: had just started my first AP job, but was only a month in when I applied

Not surprisingly I did not get a single interview for any of those

4: 2 interviews - one reserve place (list didn't move enough)
5: PLACE :D

Volta

Post by Volta » Sun May 01, 2016 12:54 pm

Twice.

1. Last year, applied to Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds and Trent and interviewed at Trent with no place.
2. This year applied to just Sheffield and Leeds, interviewed at both, offered place at Leeds.

Didn't feel ready to apply until 4 years after my undergrad :cyclops: