How many times did you apply?

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here

How many times had you applied when you were sucessful?

One
37%
Two
31%
Three
19%
Four
9%
Five
3%
Six
1%
Seven or more (please post the number below)
1%

Total votes: 594

eu247

Re: How many times did you apply?

Post by eu247 » Fri May 13, 2016 5:06 pm

I applied fourteen years ago straight after my undergraduate degree but didn't get anyway which is a good thing for me in retrospect. This is my third year of applying since then and I am changing careers and have two children. I am coming at it as a different person now which helps but it's still been quite a journey.....This is the first year I got through to any interviews. Mature students, career changers and parents have hope!Although I haven't started yet so I may be eating my words :?

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
purpledot

Post by purpledot » Sun May 22, 2016 7:43 pm

I applied twice, but I waited until I felt ready (I graduated from my undergrad 8 years ago).

1: 3 outright no's, 1 interview from a selection test.
2: 1 outright no, 1 invitation to selection test which didn't result in an interview, and 2 interviews from selection tests.

For me, I felt ready to apply the first time I did, but when I was invited to interview, I realised that I wasn't ready to start the course - although it was a good experience and helped me to consider the areas I wanted to develop in my application.

The second time, I felt my application was stronger, as I had completed a post-grad certificate to help boost my academic profile, I was lead author on a journal article which had been peer-reviewed and accepted for publication, I'd had opportunities to shadow CPs outside of my service, and I'd worked in my current role for 3 years (which is led and supervised by a CP), so had much more experience to reflect on in the interviews. I also took out the buzzwords from my application and completely changed my approach to preparing for the interviews, which was a huge help in helping to manage my anxiety during the interview and letting me relax enough for the panel to hopefully get a sense of who I am as a person.

Adski

Post by Adski » Tue May 24, 2016 12:09 am

I applied 5 times. I got on in my 5th year.

Year 1 no =2 / reserve for interview = 2
Year 2 no = 2 / interview = 2
Year 3 no = 4
Year 4 interview = 3 no = 1
Year 5 interview = 3 no = 1

jsv1990

Post by jsv1990 » Tue May 24, 2016 10:24 pm

I applied twice:

Year One: No interviews
Year Two: Three interviews (attended two, declined one), two offers.

Jules114

Post by Jules114 » Wed May 25, 2016 9:14 am

I've gained a place this year (Wahey !!!) - 5th time applying and 5 unsuccessful interviews along the way (including one this year) but probably not ready for at least 2 of those years - a good learning experience for me personally but I agree, it's can be a disheartening process, and there are definite advantages to waiting until you're 'ready' - I'm a (very) mature applicant (in my 40's) so age for me was definitely a factor :D .

Good luck to everyone on your future career paths and well done to all those who have achieved so much already just by being 'in the running!'

"What's for you won't pass you by"

:D

ironlady

Post by ironlady » Wed May 25, 2016 1:16 pm

I applied for the first time this year, attended one interview, and got an offer :mrgreen:

I know this must sound surreal (definitely still does to me!) but I have 5 years post-graduation experience, just did not feel ready to apply before: did not feel I had enough experience after 1 year, and then was doing my PhD and wanted to finish it first. I must say I was pretty stressed at the interview having had no previous application experience, but it can be done, so good luck to everyone!

Bagel29

Post by Bagel29 » Wed May 25, 2016 3:28 pm

It took me 7 years of applying (having first applied before I graduated from my undergrad!)

1 (2009) - Nothing
2 (2010) - Surrey interview (having passed the test) - no place
3 (2011) - Nothing
4 (2012) - Nothing
5 (2013) - Nothing (halfway through a part-time 2 year masters)
6 (2014) - UEA interview - no place
7 (2015/16) - Three interviews (UEA, UCL, RHUL) - Interviewed at UEA and was offered a place, interviewed at UCL and was offered a place and accepted, turned down RHUL interview

persephone56

Post by persephone56 » Mon May 30, 2016 9:33 pm

Twice for me. Once during my MSc, for 2013 entry. Not a sausage out of that, and the sense of rejection left me reluctant to even think about applying again.

This year, I got 3 outright Nos. UEA interviewed me, but put me on the reserve list. After a painful 2 months, I got an offer :).

Alexander

Post by Alexander » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:45 am

I was successful after six attempts.

2010 = zilcho
2011 = zilcho
2012 = zilcho
2013 = 1 interview, 5th reserve
2014 = 2 interviews, both unsuccessful
2015 = 3 interviews, reserve, 5th reserve and unsuccessful.

I was offered a place two days before the final 10th June deadline; I got in by the skin of my teeth!

anarella

Post by anarella » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:19 pm

I applied twice:

1st time: No interviews (did not even meet the minimum criteria). It was "practice" application which was still disheartening quite a lot (despite knowing I did not have a smallest chance) seeing other people getting on

2nd time (3 years later, feeling emotionally and professionally ready): one interview -> one offer

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:55 pm

BlueCat wrote:So there's 376 responses to this as of today. It would be great if all our 2016 successful applicants can add their data.
And today we're at 471! 95 successful clinpsyers for 2016 :)
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

Gemtakina

Post by Gemtakina » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:57 pm

Hi all,

I applied twice (I waited until I felt ready though, not straight after graduating).

Salomons
UEL

UCL ------UCL
Hertfordshire

Bath
Exeter
Oxford
Cardiff

Good luck everyone.

DrSquish

Post by DrSquish » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:29 am

I got in the third time I applied. I should add, the first time was straight out of my undergraduate degree, just for the hell of it. The second time was in the final year of my PhD; one interview and unsuccessful. Third time lucky (a year later)!

Sessycfc

Post by Sessycfc » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:05 pm

Hi all

Wanted to add my little success story finally! I recently found out I got on to Glasgow from reserve list (yeah it occasionally does happen! ) after I'd lost all hope what with it being September and all. This was my third year applying.

If I were to give any advice, I'd say look after yourself. I took a year out from applying to give myself a wee break from the confidence knocks that come as part of the doctorate process. In that year I tried to learn some skills for confidence building, speaking at interviews etc. I also used any possible resource or person I knew who could give me information or advice. Most important though is looking after yourself and your own self esteem. Clinical is on such a pedestal that we tend to forget that we are all wonderful candidates for the doctorate with lots of knowledge and experience.

Good luck to everyone for next years applications - my fingers are crossed especially for those who have tried a few times and are feeling a bit deflated - I know that feeling!!!

Sarah x

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:15 pm

Sessycfc wrote:I recently found out I got on to Glasgow from reserve list (yeah it occasionally does happen! ) after I'd lost all hope what with it being September and all. This was my third year applying.
Congratulations, you must be over the moon! Hope the logistics work out OK :)
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.