How many years after graduation before you got on the course

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here

How many years after you graduated from your psychology degree did you get a place on training?

Zero (straight from undergrad)
1%
1 year
4%
2 years
12%
3 years
21%
4 years
19%
5 years
14%
6 years
10%
7 years
7%
8+ years
11%

Total votes: 578

BeckyS

Re: How many years after graduation before you got on the co

Post by BeckyS » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:54 pm

Graduated 2007, got on to the course this year, so 4 years

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
rennyren63

Post by rennyren63 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:22 am

I was told by my clinical supervisor in 2003 to apply from the very start, to get experience of the application process. So, one month after graduation, whilst in my very first AP post, I applied...........I am still applying, 8 years later!!

If i was to change anything, I wouldnt have applied until I believed I was really ready (reflecting back that was probably around 2007) but ive LOVED each and every Assistant Psychologist/Research assistant post and completing my MSc, so i know im heading towards the perfect career for me.....who knows, this year may be my year! :D

Pickle

Post by Pickle » Mon May 30, 2011 10:17 am

I graduated in 2007, so it's taken me four years to get on the course. I don't really count my first application as I was applying knowing that I didn't meet the minimum requirements (e.g. one year full time in NHS) and I had so little knowledge about clinical psychology! At least it gave me a better understanding of the process. My second and third (this year) were proper applications though. I secured one interview last year but was unsuccessful and one successful interview this year!

Even looking back on my interview last year I can see how much I have improved and how much my anxiety about the whole process has decreased. This year I didn't spend hour upon hour revising and preparing for the interview. I knew I could respond to whatever questions were thrown at me and even if I didn't know the answer to a question, I could still form a coherent response without seizing up in a panic!

Lancelot

Post by Lancelot » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:31 pm

People talk about feeling 'ready' but feeling ready and getting on a course is a different matter. It reminds me of emotional reasoning in CBT. I personally think that if you have year or two of experience and feel like you want to apply, apply! There is a randomness to the process where one year the applicant gets reserve list place with a course and then next year no interview with the same course. People have to take account of the randomness and the fact that some courses look at ability and you as a person rather than years of experience.

Obviously the process can be very personal and people have to make there own decisions about what is right for them.

I am not sure that this view will go down very well here. :?

Goats

Post by Goats » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:48 pm

I agree with you tsk1, Id encourage anyone to apply once they meet minimum criteria and know it's what they want to do, I wish I had applied earlier with hidsight
Learn to think for yourself

vicky_r

Post by vicky_r » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:19 am

In September it will be 3 years since I graduated (in 2008), although I did a Masters straight after graduation so will have only worked full-time, post graduation for 2 years.

This was my first year applying and I got two interviews and two offers. Absolutely still cannot believe my luck! :lol:

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:06 am

If anyone has not seen this thread and wants to cast their vote having gained a place on training, please do so. We want the figures to be as representative of our members as possible.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

wecarealot

Post by wecarealot » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:50 pm

My case doesn't fit the question. I graduated with a philosophy degree in 2003 and from a Masters conversion in 2011/12, so the answer is 1 year from psychology or 10 years from undergraduate. I clicked 8+ since this captures the amount of time I have spent working in relevant areas but a significant number of folk like me will make this survey pretty meaningless... maybe I shouldn;t have voted. :?

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:37 pm

The question on the poll is how many years since your psychology degree though!
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

SamR

Post by SamR » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:23 pm

I would be really interested to see if the answers to this poll change over time. I wonder if on average there are now more years between graduating and getting onto the doctorate (or if it just feels that way to me!).

Randall

Post by Randall » Thu May 08, 2014 4:46 pm

5 years...and I had a gap year prior to my undergrad....Getting old :lol:

DrElizabeth

Post by DrElizabeth » Sun May 18, 2014 7:48 pm

It took me three years after graduating from my undergraduate degree. I started to apply the first year (not because I thought I stood a chance, but because I wanted to get an idea of the application process) but then my laptop died a few days before submission so I didn't submit.

I applied the second year again not really expecting to get anywhere although I was hopeful for 1 interview. I sat the entrance exam at Salomons, but wasn't invited for any interviews at all that year :(

This year I applied again, and felt a lot more confident but didn't expect to get anywhere. I had 1 interview at Salomons, and was amazingly made 3rd on the reserve list, and was offered a place on Friday :D

I am thrilled but don't quite believe it.

Jottlebot

Post by Jottlebot » Mon May 19, 2014 12:12 pm

7 years! I applied 5 times. I shouldn't have applied the first time and wished I hadn't. It was even the old form so it wasn't much use in terms of practice. Got in to Birmingham this year though :D It doesn't feel real, I can't believe it's true and I think when the 1st of September rolls around I will go to start all over again on the Clearing House website!

AnonymousMouse

Post by AnonymousMouse » Mon May 19, 2014 12:24 pm

I was three years post grad. I still count myself as incredibly lucky that I found the journey relatively straight forward. I think that what helped me was looking carefully at unis and thinking about what course would suit me, what course would value my experience and what course would value my way of thinking, formulating and learning. My feedback from my successful course application was that they felt as though I would fit in with their ethos really well, so I feel like this probably worked for me!

LDWorker

Post by LDWorker » Mon May 19, 2014 11:32 pm

Jottlebot wrote:7 years! I applied 5 times. I shouldn't have applied the first time and wished I hadn't. It was even the old form so it wasn't much use in terms of practice. Got in to Birmingham this year though :D It doesn't feel real, I can't believe it's true and I think when the 1st of September rolls around I will go to start all over again on the Clearing House website!
7 years too! Meaning I will be starting uni again exactly a decade after the first time round which has quite a nice pattern to it. My path has definitely veered slightly at times, at graduation I imagined it would be the easy standard route of SW to AP to course. But looking back now I'm glad it has taken me this long, I have learnt so much from the process and all the various jobs on the way.