How many years after graduation before you got on the course

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here

How many years after you graduated from your psychology degree did you get a place on training?

Zero (straight from undergrad)
1%
1 year
4%
2 years
12%
3 years
21%
4 years
19%
5 years
14%
6 years
10%
7 years
7%
8+ years
11%

Total votes: 578

Psycher

Re: How many years after graduation before you got on the co

Post by Psycher » Fri May 23, 2014 9:29 am

I graduated in 2012 and will be starting the course this year :D .....so two years.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
AnalyseThis

Post by AnalyseThis » Wed May 28, 2014 12:49 pm

7 Years for me too :o)

gcapone

Post by gcapone » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:43 pm

AnonymousMouse wrote:I was three years post grad. I still count myself as incredibly lucky that I found the journey relatively straight forward. I think that what helped me was looking carefully at unis and thinking about what course would suit me, what course would value my experience and what course would value my way of thinking, formulating and learning. My feedback from my successful course application was that they felt as though I would fit in with their ethos really well, so I feel like this probably worked for me!
Just wanted to say I really agree with what you've said here. I originally applied on the basis of which courses would suit me, completely neglecting to be mindful of which courses would feel I was a good fit for them. This became very apparent upon reflection. Really good bit of advice AnonymousMouse :)
“No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand… Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” ~Anton Chekhov

AnsweringBell

Post by AnsweringBell » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:21 am

AnonymousMouse wrote:I was three years post grad. I still count myself as incredibly lucky that I found the journey relatively straight forward. I think that what helped me was looking carefully at unis and thinking about what course would suit me, what course would value my experience and what course would value my way of thinking, formulating and learning. My feedback from my successful course application was that they felt as though I would fit in with their ethos really well, so I feel like this probably worked for me!
That's great advice, and exactly what I did the past 2 years. I think as well as waiting until I felt my profile was strong enough, I think this was what helped me get 2 interviews in my first year of applying (which was 3/4 years post graduating).

This year, now 4/5 years post graduating, I got 2 interviews and a reserve interview (which turned into an interview), 2 reserve offers and 1 firm offer. The firm offer was from a course where I felt the questions were pitched at just my type of experience, both academically and clinically, and the only interview where I felt I had been able to really be myself. So that probably again comes down to picking courses that suit you, and courses you think would be interested in what you have to offer.

kaaatt

Post by kaaatt » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:06 pm

So out of excitement, I accidentally posted on the wrong thing out of excitement! With a reserve I hope to be posting here soon! *fingers crossed!* haha

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:49 pm

278 responses to our poll to date. Keep them coming people, the more responses, the more representative this is of the accepted landscape.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

RachPsychUG

Post by RachPsychUG » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:26 pm

Graduated in 2012 - will be starting training this year ( :alien: !) , so around three years

Phatoss

Post by Phatoss » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:32 pm

I love how the responses so far are normally distributed! And I think it's really interesting what values are in the middle of the curve...

amyaston88

Post by amyaston88 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:14 am

i actually hadn't realised how long it had been until i voted on this. i'm 26 and graduated in 2010, so 5 years! i spent a bit of time waitressing and travelling after uni before deciding i definitely wanted to pursue clinical psychology :)

ClaireEmma

Post by ClaireEmma » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:10 pm

I graduated in June 2012 and got a place this year, so it's 3 years, although I had various periods of unemployment along the way due to always being on short fixed term contracts, so at the time of my interview I had 26 months experience.

enid

Post by enid » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:40 am

I graduated from my BSc psychology in 2004, aged 24!! However I only started wanting to do CP three years ago, and by that time I was a year in to a PhD, so the following PhD years* have been about getting relevant clinical experience (as well as trying to progress the PhD of course!). So it's been a full on recent journey with a number of years in other, but useful and related fields, like the charity sector and research.

*I actually typoed that as 'tears' - has Freudian slip.

Biggsy1988

Post by Biggsy1988 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:12 pm

I graduated from my BSc in 2009, so 6 years. I graduated from my MSc in 2011, so 4 years since that :)
When it comes to dreams one may falter, but the only way to fail is to abandon them - Alexander Grayson (Dracula 2013)

moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Sun May 03, 2015 11:55 am

I graduated in July 2009 (so it will be 6 years when I actually start the course) but for the sake of the poll, I voted as 5 years. Although this has been a tough career path so far (and I never thought I'd achieve the Holy Grail) time really has flown by!
There may not always be a solution to the problem, but there is always another perspective...

rfdes

Post by rfdes » Wed May 20, 2015 1:34 pm

Graduated in 2012, so 3 years!

Katy7

Post by Katy7 » Sat May 23, 2015 10:11 am

Graduated in 2011 so 4 years! I'm 25. 2013/2014 was doing my MSc :)