How many years after graduation before you got on the course

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here

How many years after you graduated from your psychology degree did you get a place on training?

Zero (straight from undergrad)
1%
1 year
4%
2 years
12%
3 years
21%
4 years
19%
5 years
13%
6 years
11%
7 years
7%
8+ years
11%

Total votes: 565

Alolom

Re: How many years after graduation before you got on the course

Post by Alolom » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:36 pm

I got on 2 years after graduating from my BSc. I post this because I remember how daunting it felt seeing how many years of experience people had and feeling like it would take me ages to get on. It really is about reflecting on what you've learned, as opposed to how MUCH experience you have had (imo).

My journey/experience was as follows:

2012-2015 - BSc Psychology
2015-2016 - MSc Clinical Psychology
2016 -2017- First AP job
2017-2018 - Second AP job
2018 - First year of applying to training, 2 offers of interview, 1 place offered (and accepted).

During my BSc, I did 5 x 8 week Research Assistant posts on different projects and during my MSc I did a mixture of Support Work, Research Assistant and Honorary AP for the year.

Hope this helps anyone out there feeling as though they need to have a certain amount of experience, or to be a certain age (I am 23) to get on xx

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:05 pm

knaggers wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 1:54 pm
I have finally gained a place this year, 7 years after undergrad graduation. I feel great about that but it makes me wonder why threads like this exist. We all have different stories and paths but finding a way through to the doctorate is a massive achievement whenever it happens.
The purpose of the thread is to show people the journey that the variety of people who gain training places have taken. That can help people be realistic about the level of competition, but also see that there is no one single path to training. It isn't intended to imply that faster is better, almost the opposite, that it takes time and that it helps to make the most of every step of the way rather than rush down the imagined ideal/fastest route to the finish line.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

mike

Post by mike » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:33 am

I will be starting this year, 6 years after graduating. It's worth pointing out that I then spent the best part of 2 years in non clinically relevant roles before starting a role (residential worker) that had some link in with Clinical Psychologists.

I have definitely enjoyed my pathway towards training, although I am aware that there would have possibly been quicker alternative routes.

Mudisco

Post by Mudisco » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:22 pm

It's been a really hard journey full of obstacles and trials but it was so personally transformative regardless

So it took me 6 years to get there in the end (starting this year :alien: )

2012-2013 - Psychology conversion course - I struggled in this course due to not only personal issues but me not knowing how to read, learn and study effectively

2013-2015 - Mental Health Research MSc - Though the beginning was difficult, with endless books and Youtube videos on how to study effectively, I got a high merit overall with a distinction in my dissertation.

2014-2016 - Support work at a residential care home working with individuals with LD and a personality disorder. It was messy and unpredictable but I LOVED it! Very rewarding population to work with and I learnt a lot about myself

2016-2019 - Training and working as a PWP.