Guidance for reviews

Discuss local psychology graduate / assistant psychologist groups, training events, conferences, meetings and open days. Let people know what is coming up, and report back about events you have attended. Review materials and books here.
miriam
Site Admin

Guidance for reviews

Post by miriam »

You are welcome to write a review for this section of the forum. Hopefully we will also be offering members the chance to review books and materials we are sent, and to have their reviews published on the site. Any member will then have the chance to read reviews of items that might be relevant to them, and see what other people thought of them. You will also be able to respond to reviews to ask questions, or to agree or disagree with the views of the reviewer.

We will pick particularly good reviews for publication in Aspire our e-magazine, so it can also be a route to gaining a publication :). Reviews can be requested and submitted by email or PM and will be posted up by an administrator, so they can use your real name rather than your forum ID if you prefer.

If you represent a publishing company, or manufacturer of tests or equipment, and would like us to review some items for you, please get in touch.

If you want to review a book or test, please let us know. The rules of being a reviewer are simple:
- you must have posted at least 10 times on the forum or be a member of the patreon group
- you must request a particular item to review from the list of available items
- you then provide a delivery address within the UK by PM
- we then send you the item
- you must agree to review the item within 6 weeks of receipt
- you must agree to return the item in good condition at the end of the review period
- you submit your review via email to clinpsyforum@gmail.com
- if for any reason you realise you cannot review the item or will exceed the review period you must contact us and return the item if requested
- return postage is at your own expense

We will also publish any suitable letters on any topic related to the site or profession which are submitted to the site email address, either on the forum or in Aspire.

Current books available for review are listed on the thread here
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com
TaraGonzalez

Re: Guidance for the reviews section

Post by TaraGonzalez »

Thanks a lot for your suggestions... :) Helpful information to all....
Carebear

Post by Carebear »

A few weeks ago there was a thread about various books relevant to applications. I don't have huge amounts of time but I am trying to reacquaint myself with the books in question because it's interview season. If I do manage to actually read one of them (I'm thinking Alice Knight in particular because I feel more confident that I could promise to finish that one but I could be persuaded to do the others), would it be useful to provide a review?
Will
Team Member

Post by Will »

My book has arrived, thanks very much. How many words should we be aiming for in the review?
Ponderings and wonderings in 140 characters - @willcurvis
miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam »

Carebear wrote:A few weeks ago there was a thread about various books relevant to applications. I don't have huge amounts of time but I am trying to reacquaint myself with the books in question because it's interview season. If I do manage to actually read one of them (I'm thinking Alice Knight in particular because I feel more confident that I could promise to finish that one but I could be persuaded to do the others), would it be useful to provide a review?
We are only going to publish reviews where we are sent books or materials, as we want publishers to build a relationship with the site (and to get freebies that offset some of my hosting costs).

Will, we tend to like about 400 words, so that it works out at being a page if we add an illustration. We would write more than that if we had multiple reviewers or a particularly controversial publication or an assessment tool we were particularly enthused about being sent, but I think that's enough to transmit the flavour of a book.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com
Will
Team Member

Post by Will »

Cool thanks. Will get cracking this week.
Ponderings and wonderings in 140 characters - @willcurvis
BlueGems

Post by BlueGems »

Sounds fantastic, I'd love to get involved!
"Fear less, and hope more; whine less, and breathe more; talk less, and listen more; and hate less, so you can love more" ~author unknown~