Surrey - advice REF car

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course
maisym00

Surrey - advice REF car

Post by maisym00 »

Hi,
I will be starting training at Surrey this year and am trying to think about a few practical things. I currently live in Clapham, but my flat doesn’t have any parking. Obviously, the course states that I need a car – which I have and a driving licence - but will the course require that I move to a flat with parking? I was wondering a few things:
1) Do you find that if you live in London a car is still essential?
2) If you have a property that does not have parking, are there any options, i.e. can you rent somewhere to park in London? Or would you advise that I move flats to somewhere that has parking (although this is a little tricky to find in London).
I guess I’m just wondering how trainees who live in London have navigated this car issue. Any thoughts would be really helpful, thank you.
SnowGem

Re: Surrey - advice REF car

Post by SnowGem »

Hi Maisym00

I'm not a trainee so can't give specific advice there, but I guess I'm wondering what you do with your car at present, and why your current circumstance might not be a suitable option to continue as is? Perhaps bumping the thread will bring it to some Surrey alumni attention for you.

I'm not sure what the Surrey campus is like for parking, but Surrey itself covers a very wide area. Having lived near Clapham (where I was fortunate to have a parking permit) and in Surrey (on-street parking), I would say Surrey as a county is much easier to navigate with a car than by bus/train. I say this as bus times (depending on where you live) may be limited at certain times. In your position, I think I would be tempted to wait and see where placements are located and (potentially) what teaching looks like (will it be on-site or delivered remotely) before moving house. It might be that once you have a clearer idea of where you will be travelling to you might be in a better placed to make a decision about where to live and parking options. By this I mean, you could opt to make a choice now and find it's not really suitable/you don't like it. If you are near Clapham Junction some parts might be more well connected for you to get to by train anyway.

Hope that is not too unhelpful....

Take care and congratulations on gaining your place 🙂
cocoloco

Post by cocoloco »

Hi maisym00,

I will be training at Surrey too and also live in SW London.

I will PM you (if I can work out how!!)

Coco x
maisym00

Post by maisym00 »

SnowGem wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:07 pm Hi Maisym00

I'm not a trainee so can't give specific advice there, but I guess I'm wondering what you do with your car at present, and why your current circumstance might not be a suitable option to continue as is? Perhaps bumping the thread will bring it to some Surrey alumni attention for you.

I'm not sure what the Surrey campus is like for parking, but Surrey itself covers a very wide area. Having lived near Clapham (where I was fortunate to have a parking permit) and in Surrey (on-street parking), I would say Surrey as a county is much easier to navigate with a car than by bus/train. I say this as bus times (depending on where you live) may be limited at certain times. In your position, I think I would be tempted to wait and see where placements are located and (potentially) what teaching looks like (will it be on-site or delivered remotely) before moving house. It might be that once you have a clearer idea of where you will be travelling to you might be in a better placed to make a decision about where to live and parking options. By this I mean, you could opt to make a choice now and find it's not really suitable/you don't like it. If you are near Clapham Junction some parts might be more well connected for you to get to by train anyway.

Hope that is not too unhelpful....

Take care and congratulations on gaining your place 🙂
Thanks for this! So at the moment I don’t really need my car, I’m able to get to work by train. Ideally I’d get placements in London that I can get to by public transport, but that might not be an option. Think you’ve got the right idea about waiting to see how it all unfolds
Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls »

I am not a surrey trainee but something I found is whilst I could get to placements via public transport a number of them have required home visits and often they weren’t accessible or would take far to long. This obviously won’t apply for placements in London but if you have ones in areas that cover rural Surrey it is worth bearing in mind but there may be solutions around parking your car close to placement for example that could work?
maisym00

Post by maisym00 »

Randomswirls wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:11 pm I am not a surrey trainee but something I found is whilst I could get to placements via public transport a number of them have required home visits and often they weren’t accessible or would take far to long. This obviously won’t apply for placements in London but if you have ones in areas that cover rural Surrey it is worth bearing in mind but there may be solutions around parking your car close to placement for example that could work?
This is a really good point, Thankyou.
clinlecturer

Post by clinlecturer »

Hi - Congratulations on your place!

Firstly, the course will NEVER require a trainee to move house (but we do advise that they consider all transport issues in their decision making). Trainees are typically (but not currently) on campus on Mondays and Tuesday, and the campus has a large car park operating on a PAYG first come first served basis.

We have a number of trainees based in South West London, and they have been known to organise car pooling among themselves for journeys into Guildford. The university also endorses https://liftshare.com/uk, but of course other services are available.
maisym00

Post by maisym00 »

clinlecturer wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:43 am Hi - Congratulations on your place!

Firstly, the course will NEVER require a trainee to move house (but we do advise that they consider all transport issues in their decision making). Trainees are typically (but not currently) on campus on Mondays and Tuesday, and the campus has a large car park operating on a PAYG first come first served basis.

We have a number of trainees based in South West London, and they have been known to organise car pooling among themselves for journeys into Guildford. The university also endorses https://liftshare.com/uk, but of course other services are available.
That's really helpful, thank you! I was also wondering whether travel expenses are reimbursed for trainees for teaching and/or placement? Just trying to work out budgeting.

Thanks in advance
Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife »

Travel is usually reimbursed for placement but not teaching.