Coventry & Warwick 2014

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course
SXB959

Re: Coventry & Warwick 2014

Post by SXB959 » Fri May 30, 2014 11:29 am

LuckyG89 wrote:Hey guys I'vejjust heard from a friend that Coundon is not a bad area..... Biggsy or because any thoughts on this?

Also they said an estate agent called unac is fairly cheap.

Just thought I'd share the update
Hi Lucky

Coundon is a fairly nice area, next to Keresley which is also OK.

Earlsdon defnitely has more going for it though in terms of the high street, pubs etc.

For those looking a bit further afield Leamington is nice, as is Warwick. Not too sure on estate agents though... maybe someone else can offer a bit of advice on that?

Suze

Psychological

Post by Psychological » Fri May 30, 2014 12:09 pm

Skadualendothel wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm very excited to say that I will be joining you all in September :D I live in Oxfordshire at the moment and can't relocate, so I'm hoping the m40 will be kind to me over the next 3 years!
Congrats! The M40 doesn't sound fun though!

Congrats to you too Suze. You didn't interview on the Thursday by any chance did you?

Skadualendothel

Post by Skadualendothel » Fri May 30, 2014 12:44 pm

Psychological wrote:

I'm very excited to say that I will be joining you all in September :D I live in Oxfordshire at the moment and can't relocate, so I'm hoping the m40 will be kind to me over the next 3 years!
Congrats! The M40 doesn't sound fun though!

Congrats to you too Suze. You didn't interview on the Thursday by any chance did you?
It should only take me about 45 minutes hopefully and then fingers crossed I get some placements around Stratford/Leamington!

I think most people so far interviewed on the Thursday. Any other Monday interviewees out there? :D

AnonRed

Post by AnonRed » Fri May 30, 2014 3:56 pm

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have an idea of good places to live between Coventry & Leicestershire? My wife works near East Midlands Airport so we're trying to work out where to move to!

Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

greg

Post by greg » Fri May 30, 2014 9:15 pm

Hi anonred

I'm a current trainee. I live in Rugby (right on the m1 for leics) which is quite nice but is obviously a little bit closer to Cov than Leicester, however tbf you may have to travel as far as Herefordshire so it might be a good option. Also just a general note, few of the actual placements are in Cov so there is little advantage to living there (apart from cheaper rent) over anywhere else. Most of the peeps in my cohort live in warwickshire, Worcestershire or Birmingham and only one lives in Coventry.

Hope this helps.

Greg :D

LuckyG89

Post by LuckyG89 » Fri May 30, 2014 9:18 pm

SXB959 wrote:Hi
I'm one of the trainees for the 2014 cohort and live in Coventry already.

Really looking forward to meeting you all, and if you do have any questions on areas/accomodation etc happy to answer them! :D

Hey Suze and Kayleigh :D........our little cohort is growing :D...although I still only count 5 out of 10??? where are the rest???!?!?!?!?.....I'm excited to get more information....i don't think it'll feel real until i do lol

LuckyG89

Post by LuckyG89 » Fri May 30, 2014 9:45 pm

greg wrote:Hi anonred

I'm a current trainee. I live in Rugby (right on the m1 for leics) which is quite nice but is obviously a little bit closer to Cov than Leicester, however tbf you may have to travel as far as Herefordshire so it might be a good option. Also just a general note, few of the actual placements are in Cov so there is little advantage to living there (apart from cheaper rent) over anywhere else. Most of the peeps in my cohort live in warwickshire, Worcestershire or Birmingham and only one lives in Coventry.

Hope this helps.

Hi Greg,

It's interesting to know most placements aren't in cov.......when do we normally find out about placements? I remember the course director saying they try and place you near where you live.

Lucky

greg

Post by greg » Fri May 30, 2014 9:53 pm

Hi Lucky

I'm not sure when you'll find out sorry :/ I think I remember us getting quite a lot more info when we went to the intro day I. August, look forward to seeing you guys there.

... Sorry about that cov comment I just meant to say that there are also a lot of placements outside cov, but we have still had some there.

:D

LuckyG89

Post by LuckyG89 » Sat May 31, 2014 6:36 pm

no no, it's good to know how things work....i forgot about the intro day.....need to make sure I'm not on holiday then lol

Skadualendothel

Post by Skadualendothel » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:11 am

LuckyG89 wrote:no no, it's good to know how things work....i forgot about the intro day.....need to make sure I'm not on holiday then lol
Oh no, I forgot about this too and I'm away a lot of August! Does anybody know the date of this? Ta!

AnonRed

Post by AnonRed » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:07 pm

greg wrote:Hi anonred

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info Greg. Are there any parts of Rugby you would recommend? Or any parts to avoid?!
Where have the placements been so far?
Looking forward to meeting everyone :) I'm not sure when the intro day is yet - sorry.

Sunshine1

Post by Sunshine1 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:55 am

Hi Everyone,

I'll be joining you in September! I'm looking forward to meeting everyone at the intro day. I still dont think its quite sunk in yet, but I'm enjoying this feeling! I'll be moving too, so the advice on where to live (and not) is really helpful :D x

Skadualendothel - I interviewed on the Monday, so there will be a familiar face!

Ruth :) x

LuckyG89

Post by LuckyG89 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:20 pm

Sunshine1 wrote:Hi Everyone,

I'll be joining you in September! I'm looking forward to meeting everyone at the intro day. I still dont think its quite sunk in yet, but I'm enjoying this feeling! I'll be moving too, so the advice on where to live (and not) is really helpful :D x

Skadualendothel - I interviewed on the Monday, so there will be a familiar face!

Ruth :) x

Welcome Ruth :D

Where are you moving from?

Skadualendothel

Post by Skadualendothel » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:55 pm

Hi all,

I noticed in the Sheffield group that they've set up a facebook group so they can get to know each other a bit before September, thought it was a nice idea. Anyone interested if I set one up?

Hope you're all enjoying the sun! 8)

Psychological

Post by Psychological » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:34 pm

Skadualendothel wrote:Hi all,

I noticed in the Sheffield group that they've set up a facebook group so they can get to know each other a bit before September, thought it was a nice idea. Anyone interested if I set one up?

Hope you're all enjoying the sun! 8)
Sounds good to me! It might be worth making it a private group like some of the others.
It will be good to get to know each other and also help bridge the gap while we are waiting for more news from the course!