Trent 2015

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course
amyaston88

Trent 2015

Post by amyaston88 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:21 pm

Just seeing who else is out there starting at Trent this year! I interviewed on the Thursday and accepted my place about 2 weeks ago. :)

I've been offered a Lincolnshire placement and will be moving to Lincoln, so it would be great to find others as I'm familiar with Nottingham but don't know anyone in Lincoln and don't know the area at all.

kk123

Re: Trent 2015

Post by kk123 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:36 pm

Hi Amy,

I will also be a Lincoln trainee- I'm currently debating whether to move to Lincoln or not, I live 40 mins away at the min.

amyaston88

Post by amyaston88 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:25 pm

kk123 wrote:Hi Amy,

I will also be a Lincoln trainee- I'm currently debating whether to move to Lincoln or not, I live 40 mins away at the min.
Ah so not too far then! I currently live in Nottingham which I know would be commutable, but I would prefer to be in Lincoln for the teaching block, and also so I can claim travel expenses.

n2526

Post by n2526 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:05 pm

Hi both, I'm training at Lincoln too. I interviewed on the Monday.

I live in between Nottingham and Lincoln. From what I know of Lincoln the area covered by the course/ services is huge (think its the largest county in England) and is very rural. For first year placements I think they are mostly AMH services, looking on the lpft website there seem to be services in Gainsborough (West), Grantham (South, off A1), Skegness, Sleaford, Grimsby, Boston and City north/south. I'm guessing there's services as far East as Grimsby too.
There's also the pesky toll bridge (40p each way) to get into Lincoln from my direction. Although, I find the city centre shops are good, there's a cinema and nice cafes and restaurants too. And a Christmas market in December!
I think Nottingham first year placements can be in Kirkby in Ashfield and Bassetlaw (Worksop/Retford) as well as in the city center.

Maybe a kind current Trent trainee might be able to suggest good places to live in Lincoln :)

Xx

Lp22

Post by Lp22 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:36 am

n2526 wrote:Hi both, I'm training at Lincoln too. I interviewed on the Monday.

I live in between Nottingham and Lincoln. From what I know of Lincoln the area covered by the course/ services is huge (think its the largest county in England) and is very rural. For first year placements I think they are mostly AMH services, looking on the lpft website there seem to be services in Gainsborough (West), Grantham (South, off A1), Skegness, Sleaford, Grimsby, Boston and City north/south. I'm guessing there's services as far East as Grimsby too.
There's also the pesky toll bridge (40p each way) to get into Lincoln from my direction. Although, I find the city centre shops are good, there's a cinema and nice cafes and restaurants too. And a Christmas market in December!
I think Nottingham first year placements can be in Kirkby in Ashfield and Bassetlaw (Worksop/Retford) as well as in the city center.

Maybe a kind current Trent trainee might be able to suggest good places to live in Lincoln :)

Xx
I'm not a current trainee but worked as an AP in Lincoln for a couple of years and Lincoln is my hometown.

Trainees do get spread around the county with some placements requiring days as far south as Spalding or Bourne. I think the majority of placements are in Lincoln, Grantham and Boston; though there are others in Gainsborough, Sleaford, Louth etc.

There are a couple of clusters of LPFT buildings which you will probably visit at some point; one is on Sandon Road in Grantham and the other is on Long Leys Road in Lincoln. I think it's a certainty that you will end up on the Long Leys site at some point as the forensic, rehab and learning disability services are all based there. Community IAPT is at the Carlton Centre which is the other side of Lincoln (only about 10mins apart though).

I met lots of trainees and they commuted from places including: Scunthorpe, Worksop, Nottingham and Sleaford.

Hope this helps :)

lucyjm

Post by lucyjm » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:59 pm

I'm going to be a Nottinghamshire trainee :D Already live here so no need to move.
Anyone know of any other Notts people? I've only seen Lincoln so far!

(also I'm a little bit too excited that I can finally post something like this...as my first ever post on clinpsy. sad I know)

sarahg

Post by sarahg » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:09 pm

Hey - sorry to hijack this thread.
I'm not a Trent trainee, but live in Notts doing a PhD. I'm happy to give advice on where to live in Nottingham as I know moving to a new city can be really difficult knowing where is decent, and where to avoid! Congratulations everybody :)

n2526

Post by n2526 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:22 pm

lucyjm wrote:I'm going to be a Nottinghamshire trainee :D Already live here so no need to move.

(also I'm a little bit too excited that I can finally post something like this...as my first ever post on clinpsy. sad I know)
Are you part of the Trent Assistant group? I think there were a couple on the Facebook group who said they were Nottingham trainees :) xx

gelbpaint

Post by gelbpaint » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:22 pm

Hi guys! Congratulations on getting on the Trent course! I'm a current first year trainee. I don't live in Lincoln but lived there for about 4 and half years during undergraduate and masters. A lot of students live in the west end of Lincoln and carholme road area, the bailgate is also a lovely place to live and walking distance to the university (there's a lovely hill called steep hill that will keep you fit!) And the south side high Street end of town also has lots of accommodation! If you have any questions about the course feel free to ask :)

Hope you are all enjoying this time till the course starts in September :)

lucyjm

Post by lucyjm » Fri May 01, 2015 11:47 am

n2526 wrote:
lucyjm wrote:I'm going to be a Nottinghamshire trainee :D Already live here so no need to move.

Are you part of the Trent Assistant group? I think there were a couple on the Facebook group who said they were Nottingham trainees :) xx
I was a member on facebook for a while but never got to any of the groups because of work, so gave up! Even the few on there seemed to be Lincolnshire too (unless I'm just totally reading it wrong). I've heard that pretty much everyone wanted Lincoln this year?!
I live literally half a mile from where the Trent interviews were so I'm SO glad I got Nottinghamshire base :D

amyaston88

Post by amyaston88 » Fri May 01, 2015 2:05 pm

lucyjm wrote:
n2526 wrote:

I was a member on facebook for a while but never got to any of the groups because of work, so gave up! Even the few on there seemed to be Lincolnshire too (unless I'm just totally reading it wrong). I've heard that pretty much everyone wanted Lincoln this year?!
I live literally half a mile from where the Trent interviews were so I'm SO glad I got Nottinghamshire base :D
I know of two people who have been offered Nottinghamshire placements but both have other offers they are considering. I think there are only 4 Notts placements? Notts was my first choice if I'm honest, but I'm happy with Lincoln!

Toria

Post by Toria » Fri May 01, 2015 4:29 pm

I doubt there are only 4 Notts places - there were 8 in my cohort (we finished last year), and I think it went down to 7 after us. It might have changed but 4 sounds like a huge drop.

Congrats to everyone with places - enjoy your pre-training summers! :)
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf - Jon Kabat-Zinn

lucyjm

Post by lucyjm » Fri May 08, 2015 1:10 pm

amyaston88 wrote:
I know of two people who have been offered Nottinghamshire placements but both have other offers they are considering. I think there are only 4 Notts placements? Notts was my first choice if I'm honest, but I'm happy with Lincoln!
This is probably super nosy but do you have any idea whether those people have a leaning either way? I know someone high up on the reserve list who is getting a bit frustrated with the lack of communication from the uni!

amyaston88

Post by amyaston88 » Fri May 08, 2015 8:00 pm

lucyjm wrote:
amyaston88 wrote:
This is probably super nosy but do you have any idea whether those people have a leaning either way? I know someone high up on the reserve list who is getting a bit frustrated with the lack of communication from the uni!
I believe one has turned it down, I don't know on the other. The reserve thread said Trent has moved by two places so far if that helps!

kk123

Post by kk123 » Tue May 12, 2015 9:23 am

Hey, does anyone know how annual leave works whilst on training? Will teaching blocks be protected etc?