Part time training

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course
scoobydoo

Part time training

Post by scoobydoo » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:43 pm

Hi,

I'm already on a course and looking to go to 4 days a week for family reasons. I've read the posts on here about going part time after maternity leave and wondered exactly what arrangements people had that made this work i.e. how study / placement / teaching was divided up on a weekly / monthly basis. If you want to pm me that's fine :)

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Beth1

Re: Part time training

Post by Beth1 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:10 pm

Hi Scoobydoo

This has been a topic in the 'parenting and clinical psychology' facebook page so that might be worth a look.

I went part time from half way through second year. The full-time route on our course at this point is 1 day study, 3 days placement, 1 day uni (going up to 4 days placement during holidays). I went down to four days and did 1 day study, 2 days placement, 1 day uni (going up to 3 days placement during holidays).This meant that I did eventually run out of study days (I only got as many study days as full time students for obvious reasons) but this didn't happen until after I'd submitted my thesis so it worked out pretty well.

I don't regret going down to 4 days a week at all and it didn't add that much on to my time in training in the grand scheme of things. It also gave me longer to work on my thesis, which I wrote almost entirely on study days due to the stretched out time I got to do it in.

I hope that helps! Good luck with it all and I hope that your course is amenable to part-time study as not all are.