Salomons or Essex?

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course
Psyduck

Salomons or Essex?

Post by Psyduck » Tue May 15, 2018 11:24 pm

Hello! Long-time lurker on the forum here!

Now that I have both pieces of paper firmly in my eye-line, having spent a number of weeks convinced that my brain had made it all up, I find myself in the incredibly fortunate position of having to choose between Salomons and Essex.

My understanding is that the courses are far more similar than they are different, which is making the decision really difficult. I feel as though my gut is telling me to go for Salomons and i got a really good feeling from the interview day, but there are one or two things stopping me from hitting that button with complete certainty.

Firstly, I'm much more comfortable in small-group discussions, and can sometimes close up a bit when speaking to/in front of large groups of people. While, on the one hand, a large cohort might help me to conquer this fear, I'm also a bit scared that it could cause me to spend three years not getting the most out of the course. Can any Salomons trainees give an indication of how often (if ever) I'd be expected to present to the entire cohort? I know there's a group presentation in the first year, but would be great to get a sense of how many people I'd be presenting to.

The other consideration is that Essex is accredited by the Association of Family Therapy, while Salomons isn't. Does anybody know whether Salomons are planning to apply for this within the next couple of years and whether there'd likely be a systemic pathway that could be opted into in third year? At this stage (while appreciating that things might change) i imagine that i'd look to work towards the AFT qualification post-training, so any credits that can be gathered along the way would be amazing.

I know that this might all sound a bit picky, and of course, I'm grateful to have been offered a place at all. I guess i just didn't think i'd ever have to think about personal suitability at this level of specificity.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
MarkM

Re: Salomons or Essex?

Post by MarkM » Fri May 18, 2018 9:40 pm

Hi Psyduck, I am at Salomons. In terms of the small-group discussions/presentations, I would say most teaching sessions involve more small-group than large group work. By the end of a course, you will probably roll your eyes when you hear "get into small groups", haha. There will be some presentations to the wider cohort but that's usually very informal. think I can count the number of times we had to present to the whole year group on one hand. There is only one "formal" presentation, which is the group presentation you mentioned... and even that is/can be informal, we had people do role-plays and stuff. The audience will be your cohort (30-odd people) plus about 3-5 staff I think.

I don't know about any plans to be accredited by the Association of Family Therapy, but I'm not sure about that. We did have a day of systemic teaching in first year and a whole week in second year, which was really awesome. I recall the lecturers saying we could take it further if we wanted to, but that would be separate, I think. The systemic teaching option seemed really popular this year, so I would imagine that will opt in but as far as I know it does not count towards the qualification(?). I might be wrong. Might be worth e-mailing Salomons about it to be sure.

Also, I don't think you sound "picky" at all - you deserve to make an informed choice that works for you, and I think it's good you're thinking about it thoroughly. (:

Good luck!
:cat: I like cats! :cat:

Psyduck

Post by Psyduck » Thu May 24, 2018 12:00 am

Thanks so much for your reply, MarkM! Really helpful!

I guess if there's a lot of small-group work you get to know your cohort really well, so things may not seem quite so daunting after a while anyway! On the subject of "getting into small groups" I'd be interested to know what your experience of the teaching at Salomons has been? Is it an even mix of structured/didactic and discussion-based lectures, or more heavily one or the other, and how do you find this?

I did speak to the administrative team about the accreditation and it sounds, as you suggest, like you can opt to do enough systemic teaching to count towards the foundation level AFT qualification. I got the impression you can very much make what you want of it, which sounds really reassuring.

Thanks again - your reply's really appreciated!

hexgirl

Post by hexgirl » Thu May 24, 2018 10:27 am

Hi MarkM!

Thanks for your replies, they really are very useful!

I will be starting the new cohort at Salomons and thought I would grab this opportunity to ask a question of my own!

I'm trying to figure out where to move to... I think I would like to stay in South London if possible and was wondering what previous trainee's have tended to do? Do you have any experience of where in South seems to be best when factoring in travel to Tunbridge and the widespread possibilities of placements?

Thanks again for your help!

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Fri May 25, 2018 9:33 pm

Psyduck wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 12:00 am
I guess if there's a lot of small-group work you get to know your cohort really well, so things may not seem quite so daunting after a while anyway! On the subject of "getting into small groups" I'd be interested to know what your experience of the teaching at Salomons has been? Is it an even mix of structured/didactic and discussion-based lectures, or more heavily one or the other, and how do you find this?
Yeah, definitely. The first few weeks were really intense for me as I got to know everyone at the same time, kind of. People in car shares might get to know each other even more quickly! But yeah I'd say you will get to know your cohort really well and most of the cohorts have done trips to celebrate deadlines etc at some point or other. We went to France with a large fraction of our cohort, and it was awesome!

Teaching-wise, hmm. I'd say it's more discussion-based than didactic, but that might vary depending on the topic being taught etc. But yeah on balance I think we have more discussion-based teaching. I personally think that's great and it really works for me, but I know it does not suit everyone. It's really hard to comment on this, though, cause it varies so much.
hexgirl wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 10:27 am
I'm trying to figure out where to move to... I think I would like to stay in South London if possible and was wondering what previous trainee's have tended to do? Do you have any experience of where in South seems to be best when factoring in travel to Tunbridge and the widespread possibilities of placements?
Where do you live now? There's usually a bunch in south east London (though there were also some people north of the river). Then there's a fair few in Brighton. There will usually be a few people in Tunbridge Wells or Tonbridge (great for travel expenses), and East Kent (Canterbury, Ashford, etc). I think the majority in my year live in either London or Brighton, though. In terms of travel to Tunbridge Wells, I think people car share, but trains are a possibility, too. It really depends on your circumstances. I moved a few times, and I know a couple of others who did, too. I also know some people who could not move due to various commitments, but ultimately everyone makes things work, one way or another.

If possible I'd probably wait until you find out your first placement, and then make a decision. There are a few people who have been really lucky with placements and did not have to move or commute too far, but that's really the exception. Usually you'll have at least one placement that's a bit iffy, I think. And then it's really just about thinking how to best work around that. I know some people who did the B&B thing, others just spent the time on the train reading or what not. But it does make a difference and is an important factor to consider, especially if it's your first placement (year-long), or your second placement in the second/third year. Those include July until September, where you will be on placement for four days per week.
:cat: I like cats! :cat:

Psyduck

Post by Psyduck » Mon May 28, 2018 9:45 pm

No, that answers the question perfectly! Thanks again!