Content of different Doctorate courses

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course
Greylag

Content of different Doctorate courses

Post by Greylag » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:58 pm

Hi All

I've done a fair bit of lurking over the years and thought I'd try posting something. Please feel free to shoot me down if the idea wouldn't be helpful or would be misleading, or if there's already a thread somewhere.

I was wondering if current / former trainees, and our more knowledgeable posters could contribute to a list of all the Doctorate courses running, saying in a few words what models / approaches / areas they emphasise in their teaching. I imagine in practice there may not be much difference (?) but still would be interesting for those of us still looking to apply. For example, if someone was really interested in a course which focused a lot on CBT and maybe incorporated a CBT qualification then they could look at X, Y or Z course, while those interested in Psychodynamics could look at this one, Neuropsych that one etc. Also any who teach any other modalities in particular depth, like CAT, ACT, DBT, EMDR, PCT, MBT, IPT, etc etc.

I know this info is likely available in all their 'course details' sections of their websites, but it would take a lot of time to trawl through all of them. Would be interesting to see how different places deliver the course. What do people think??

Cheers!

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Lancelot

Re: Content of different Doctorate courses

Post by Lancelot » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:59 pm

You can find more informal information from trainees about the content of course in the BPS alternative handbooks, published every year.

alternative handbook 2018

ell

Post by ell » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:33 pm

It's a good idea, as courses do differ in many different ways. I would recommend the Alternative Handbook for that kind of information. Also, courses change their content from time to time, and so the Alternative Handbook can give a more up to date account as it is remade every year.

Greylag

Post by Greylag » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:05 pm

Thanks guys, the handbook looks really helpful. I notice not all the courses seem to be covered, due to a lack of responses I presume? UEA for example. Is that something which varies between editions? Might previous versions cover other courses (so at least there's some info to hand)?

alexh

Post by alexh » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:58 am

Yes, it relies on trainee responses. No responses means no inclusion.

persephone56

Post by persephone56 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:26 pm

alexh wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:58 am
Yes, it relies on trainee responses. No responses means no inclusion.
Or that the course didn't pass the link on to trainees to fill out the information! It may fall through the cracks at times, particularly if the deadline for completion is during the shortlisting/interview time of the year.