BPS QCoP route?

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course
Karena

BPS QCoP route?

Post by Karena » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:18 am

Hi,
Has anyone taken the BPS independent route for counselling psychology? There doesn’t seem to be any forums around this topic.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
mungle

Re: BPS QCoP route?

Post by mungle » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:31 pm

I don't know of any forums but there is a very useful Candidates Handbook from the BPS Division of Counselling Psychology - key points include need for logged 450 therapy hours (mostly supervised by counselling psychologist), training hours, 40+ therapy hours and assignments and final exam (some prior credit can be recognised).

theballboy

Post by theballboy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:23 pm

Currently considering this as I have secured a supervisor and potential placement
What's more appealing is that the fees (currently £11k) are advertised on the site at being only £6600 as of 1 Jan 2019.
iv have contacted BPS for clarifation on this (in case its actually going up to £6600 per year.
Completing an MSc this year so should be able to claim for credit there, along with my PWP training which will give me a headstart of 80 client hours. Iv definitely completed 40+ hours of personal therapy (and then some), that I can also claim for I believe.

mungle

Post by mungle » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:16 pm

It might depend on whether they'll count the PWP hours for the CBT training component. Having looked at the documents, it might not actually be cheaper. There are some course with not too dissimilar fees as the registration fee. Given the need for training courses on top it might easily cost you more. My impression was that it really works when someone already has most of the training already.

hawke

Post by hawke » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:37 pm

I'd second checking the PWP hours. In my old service, people tried to use them for BACP accreditation and for private Cbt training courses, and were not allowed to do this.