Cohort demographics Essex and IoP?

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course
ManonFire

Cohort demographics Essex and IoP?

Post by ManonFire » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:01 pm

Hi guys
I'm thinking of applying this year to Essex IoP and maybe UEA. Just wondering if anyone knows what the demographics of these courses are like, particularly the age ranges? I'm older and I wouldn't like to be in a cohort of a low age range eg 24-30.
Hope to hear back
Cheers.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
maven
Site Admin

Re: Cohort demographics Essex and IoP?

Post by maven » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:05 am

I'd take a look in the alternative handbook. But bear in mind that across the UK as a whole, most trainees are 20-30 (81% in 2017 intake, with very similar figures in previous years), and only 2% of trainees are over 40. That means that in each cohort of nearly 600 trainees there are only 10-15 trainees over 40, and looking at the equal opportunities figures I can only see one candidate over 50 in the last five intakes. So whatever course you go on there is unlikely to be more than one other person over 40, and the majority of trainees will be in their 20s.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

ManonFire

Post by ManonFire » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:18 am

Thanks for your reply Maven wow I didn't realise the percentage was so high for 20s.
Is the alternative handbook a free resource online?
I'm aware some courses value life experience more than other courses so might expect older intakes at these, but just wonder what it's like at these 3 courses in particular. If anyone has the handbook would they be so kind as to check the age range the past few years. Many thanks.

Punkgirluk

Post by Punkgirluk » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:57 am

You can download a free pdf of the alternative handbook from the bps website. If you struggle let me know and I’ll send a copy by email.
I’m similarly in the older end of the age range- just trying to look at it as it gives me more experiences to reflect on for my application 😂

ManonFire

Post by ManonFire » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:18 am

Thanks so.much Punk girl I've been able to download it and found lots of information!