Why pay a trainee?

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course
heg124

Why pay a trainee?

Post by heg124 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:15 pm

What are the reasons for paying a trainee Clinical Psychologist a Band 6 salary?

I'm an Assistant Psychologist and I'm just trying to get a better understanding of this. It just seems strange to me as when CP training is compared to other health care professionals in training, they are the only ones who get paid (as far as I'm aware). I understand that it's not as if they are just training or shadowing because there is obviously work involved, however it is not full time work (teaching and study days).

I'm just looking for someone to shed some light on this :).

Thanks in advance :alien:

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
ell

Re: Why pay a trainee?

Post by ell » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:04 pm

There's two different questions here. Why are trainees paid a band 6 salary? And, why are trainees paid a full time salary?

The former can be answered, in my opinion, by the level of work that the trainee CP does. They hold a case load, doing therapy work and other types of clinical work independently, they often do service related projects, they might supervise APs (clinical supervision, not line management) towards the end of training, they often help with training other staff... The list goes on. It is band 6 level work; the trainee CP should be doing things that the band 4/5 AP cannot be.

As to why it is full time... That's a more difficult question to answer, and I have mixed thoughts on that one (in the context of a cash strapped NHS). I might leave that one to someone else. However, do a search of the forum using the search function, and I think you'll find this has been discussed before.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:00 am

Why is a junior doctor paid whilst they are still training? The answer in both cases is because they are doing a skilled job as well as training, and the nhs wants trainees to be able to settle in the region funding their training and to be loyal to the local service. Plus they want trainees to focus exclusively on the role and not to have to take on other work to fund their costs of living whilst they train.

I think there is a good case to be made to fund nurses and social workers and other professionals that we need more of to make services viable, but they are not trained at post graduate level, so it's a bit different and bursaries seem more appropriate.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Anne26

Post by Anne26 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:11 pm

In terms of being paid full time. Trainees work over their contracted hours if you count study time. Some courses also give very little time for studying at certain points, so you’re left working and attending classes all week and studying on weekends.

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:33 pm

Trainee clinical psychologists aren't unique in being paid as they train. Junior doctors and trainee child psychoanalytic psychotherapists are also salaried, for the reasons Miriam gives - these are advanced-level trainings that require a prior degree (which will not have been funded), and they involve skilled work. A trainee CP can hold a caseload from a very early stage. A trainee nurse can't do that. While some support workers are seconded to train as nurses, they will be paid at a support worker/HCA salary, because that salary is commensurate with the role they're performing at that stage.

The fact that other allied health professions have been badly let down by the government by the slashing of bursary funding is not a reason to scrimp on clinical psychology training. The NHS's cash-strapped state is the result of political choices on the part of a government that has prioritised tax breaks for the wealthy over public services, and that problem can only be solved by a different set of political choices, not by treating student bursaries and trainee salaries as fungible money that can be rerouted elsewhere in the health service.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.