Part time training

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course
ACW

Part time training

Post by ACW » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:57 pm

I wondered what (if any) flexible working people have come across on dclinpsy courses? I am concerned that taking the course full time may be difficult given caring responsibilities. As trusts are obliged to consider flexible working for trainees as for any employees, I thought I'd ask what success people had had in securing this, and how it worked in practice (eg how many days to placement/teaching etc)? Lancaster looks like a course that might be especially amenable to part time options -- does anyone know about other courses? Feel free to PM me if you like. Thank you!

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
RJParker

Re: Part time training

Post by RJParker » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:54 am

For those not aware, Lancaster will be offering a formalised part time route commencing in 2020. Although we currently support trainees in flexible working, we feel that the dedicated route will provide a structure that gives people taking this option more support. Our hope is that it will also encourage people to apply who had previously chosen not to as they felt that full time training was not a practical option for them.

ACW

Post by ACW » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:32 pm

Thanks for your comment, RJParker. Would you be able to provide any details about how the Lancaster part time path may work in practice? Thank you!

RJParker

Post by RJParker » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:26 am

Until we have finalised the details with the university and stakeholders, I can't give precise details. However, it will be a set FTE which can be compressed into a short number of days per week to allow for portfolio working or spread out over a full week to allow for reduced hours per day. The full time and part time routes are directly equivalent in all aspects with identical teaching, assessment, study time and time on placement - they are simply different approaches to completing a DClinPsy to suit different individual circumstances and/or preferences.

As soon as we have confirmed the details they will be posted on our website. These will obviously be available before applications open in September this year so that people can make informed decisions. If anyone wants to talk about this route, feel free to drop me an email or give me a ring - contact details are on our website!

ell

Post by ell » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:30 am

Go Lancaster. It's about time someone put the effort into working this one out. Can't have been easy to arrange, but it's important and a long time coming.