2020 - Transitioning to the doctorate in Sept

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course
Fairytale
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:32 pm

2020 - Transitioning to the doctorate in Sept

Post by Fairytale » Thu May 28, 2020 11:43 pm

Hi - I thought it might be helpful to create this post for us to think about how people are feeling about transitioning to their new role/identity as Trainee Clinical Psychologist (yay!) in September!

I am feeling both excited and anxious about the next 3 years, but this must surely be a common feeling. I’m quite worried about my motivation and productivity levels amid Covid-19 and starting an intense training while the lockdown is possibly still in place.

It’s also going to feel strange having a virtual ending. I wonder if it might not feel like a proper ending and make the transition a bit more difficult.

It would be good to hear how people are generally feeling, and planning on managing the transition.

Mephistofela
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu May 16, 2019 10:48 am

Re: 2020 - Transitioning to the doctorate in Sept

Post by Mephistofela » Fri May 29, 2020 9:49 am

I have mixed feelings about it too, but the positive ones outweigh the negative ones so far. It will involve a lot of changes, I will move away from my partner and I think this will be one of the more difficult parts of it, because we've lived together for a few years now. However I'm really looking forward to starting training, it is a really nice feeling that after all of the uncertainty now I have a better idea about how things are going to look like for me in the next few years.

Aanneett
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 10:26 pm

Re: 2020 - Transitioning to the doctorate in Sept

Post by Aanneett » Fri May 29, 2020 10:49 am

Hi,

This is a very important topic and I also have mixed feelings. Initially, I was planning to buy a house with my partner close to my course. Unfortunately, due to the current circumstances looks like I will be moving alone as my partner cannot resign from his job (been living together for 8 years). My emotions go in waves; I can feel extremely happy and proud of myself, but then the anxiety kicks in and I worry what will happen. I am excited to start the training, but I keep wondering if I will get out as much of it online as I would in 'normal' circumstances.

Drjlh
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:24 am

Re: 2020 - Transitioning to the doctorate in Sept

Post by Drjlh » Fri May 29, 2020 12:17 pm

I am feeling waves of anxiety at the moment. I am leaving a job I feel I am good at, to return back to 3 years of doctorate life (I have a PhD) with the realisation that I will be constantly assessed for 3 years, and maybe terrible at being a trainee?! I'm a little concerned (ok, very!) about how training will take place during this time, how the teaching will be structured, especially as my clinical experience is quite old now and I've been in a research setting since finishing my PhD.

I guess being worried about change is normal, and the excitement is definitely there! But I think the uncertainty around how things will be in the midst of a global pandemic is also unsettling!

User avatar
Samays
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:21 pm

Re: 2020 - Transitioning to the doctorate in Sept

Post by Samays » Fri May 29, 2020 4:06 pm

Thank you for posting this and being honest about your worries, glad to hear I'm not alone! This post went on longer than expected...

Fairytale - I definitely worry about the immense step up from working from home where workload is limited to full-time training both physically and mentally! I've been redeployed to a ward for a couples of days a week and just getting up and leaving the house for a day was exhausting to begin with after working from home for many weeks. I'm trying to prepare for this by structuring my days as much as possible and trying to include long walks in my evenings and weekends to try and build up some physical stamina again (but also being kind to myself when I really don't feel like it). I think COVID or not there would be a massive step up in time-management, self-motivation, cognitive demand etc. so I'm also trying to remind myself that these concerns would exist regardless and are totally normal.

Thankfully my prospective university has issued a statement that they will open as planned in September and teaching will go ahead (which seems a little optimistic considering a number of things could happen between now and then). I had concerns about not being able to meet my cohort face-to-face initially and what this might mean for the many forms of support we could provide each other.

Some other random thoughts I've had (these thoughts haven't bothered me too much mostly because the answers are "who knows" or "we can't know yet", I just thought it might be helpful to share):
Are we going to be a bit of an anomalous cohort in that starting placements in the wake of COVID might impact the rigour of our clinical training and consequently our competencies?
Or anomalous because the interview format was so different to how many courses typically assess candidates?
Will the different demand on services/long waiting lists currently accumulating impact the type/amount of work expected of trainees? (I know we will be heavily protected in this respect, but still a concern. I know my department has been earmarking more assessments than normal for future trainees)
How will I be able to manage working in AMH having worked in ID services for so long? How will I develop skills for future face-to-face working if contact continues to be virtual/over the telephone?
When will I be able to go back to my office and rescue the food I've left in my drawer?

Mostly to quieten my worries, I've tried to focus and build on what qualities and knowledge I have to offer rather than what I lack. Everyone is feeling the uncertainty and I am really looking forward to meeting my cohort, possibly because they will be the core certainty throughout training. Ultimately, I think it's really important to allow ourselves to have time to relax and be happy before the challenges ahead! Well done on the successes everyone. We worked hard for this and were picked for having the qualities we need for what lies ahead.

ivy21
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon May 11, 2020 9:42 pm

Re: 2020 - Transitioning to the doctorate in Sept

Post by ivy21 » Sun May 31, 2020 8:55 pm

Having accepted a place on the DClin this year, this is something I've been thinking about a lot, and am so glad it has been posted as a thread as I'm really interested to hear others' perspectives!

Personally, I'm feeling so incredibly excited to have the opportunity to start the course, and am really looking forward to meeting my cohort and getting going with the first teaching block, but equally am feeling a little anxious about it. Over the last couple of weeks I've spent a bit of time reflecting on my journey up until this point, and have realised that in an attempt to avoid what I felt would be inevitable disappointment when I was rejected, I hadn't really allowed myself to consider that I might actually be offered a place this year. I'm finding that as the news has started to sink in and I'm allowing myself to think about what training might be like, I feel a real mix of excitement, anticipation and nerves.

I don't think I feel too worried about how the current situation might affect training, although it does feel sad to think I may not have a chance to say a proper goodbye to my team in person before moving away and starting the course. I'm very much of the mindset that 'what will be will be', and although I am aware that my start to training may look a little different to previous years, I trust that the course team will make the necessary adaptations to the programme so that we feel as prepared as possible for our placements. My main anxiety is around how I will manage the transition from AP to trainee CP, and the differing expectations of the role. I'm very aware that as a trainee I'll be needing to juggle academic work with clinical work, and I suppose I just want to do it well - knowing how tough it is to get on to the course, and how much work I feel I've put in to getting here adds a layer of pressure to get it right!! The 'good enough' phrase comes to mind...

As an AP I currently feel a sense of security in the fact that I am 'unqualified' and therefore it feels more acceptable to say that I don't know something, or to not feel 100% confident all the time. I think something that I will need to hold onto and remind myself of is that, despite this change in role and the expectations that I might be placing on myself to be a more competent clinician, it will still be okay to say I don't know and ask for help.

Despite some anxieties, I'm so looking forward to the new challenge, and knowing I'm not in it on my own is something I am very grateful for! Congratulations to everyone who is accepting a place - and the very best of luck!

Fairytale
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:32 pm

Re: 2020 - Transitioning to the doctorate in Sept

Post by Fairytale » Sun May 31, 2020 10:00 pm

ivy21 wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 8:55 pm
Having accepted a place on the DClin this year, this is something I've been thinking about a lot, and am so glad it has been posted as a thread as I'm really interested to hear others' perspectives!

Personally, I'm feeling so incredibly excited to have the opportunity to start the course, and am really looking forward to meeting my cohort and getting going with the first teaching block, but equally am feeling a little anxious about it. Over the last couple of weeks I've spent a bit of time reflecting on my journey up until this point, and have realised that in an attempt to avoid what I felt would be inevitable disappointment when I was rejected, I hadn't really allowed myself to consider that I might actually be offered a place this year. I'm finding that as the news has started to sink in and I'm allowing myself to think about what training might be like, I feel a real mix of excitement, anticipation and nerves.

I don't think I feel too worried about how the current situation might affect training, although it does feel sad to think I may not have a chance to say a proper goodbye to my team in person before moving away and starting the course. I'm very much of the mindset that 'what will be will be', and although I am aware that my start to training may look a little different to previous years, I trust that the course team will make the necessary adaptations to the programme so that we feel as prepared as possible for our placements. My main anxiety is around how I will manage the transition from AP to trainee CP, and the differing expectations of the role. I'm very aware that as a trainee I'll be needing to juggle academic work with clinical work, and I suppose I just want to do it well - knowing how tough it is to get on to the course, and how much work I feel I've put in to getting here adds a layer of pressure to get it right!! The 'good enough' phrase comes to mind...

As an AP I currently feel a sense of security in the fact that I am 'unqualified' and therefore it feels more acceptable to say that I don't know something, or to not feel 100% confident all the time. I think something that I will need to hold onto and remind myself of is that, despite this change in role and the expectations that I might be placing on myself to be a more competent clinician, it will still be okay to say I don't know and ask for help.

Despite some anxieties, I'm so looking forward to the new challenge, and knowing I'm not in it on my own is something I am very grateful for! Congratulations to everyone who is accepting a place - and the very best of luck!

MASSIVE CONGRATULATIONS to all for securing a place! Our hard work has finally paid off!

Ivy21, I share your anxieties and can related to worries about what training might be like and how it would feel to transition from AP to trainee CP. When I realise that I have got a place, I have moments of panic and sleep disturbances haha. Luckily I can discuss these anxieties with my therapist.

As an AP people are often 'impressed' by my work, but I know that this may be different once I transition to my new role as a trainee - especially with different supervisors having different standards.
Generally i feel uncomfortable when I make 'mistakes' and feel a great deal of 'shame' when my work is ‘criticised’. I worry about how i will manage having my performance monitored for 3 years. I also find it difficult to ask for help as I feel as though I shouldn't be struggling or that I should know it all. ( this doesn’t mean that i donMt ask for help, i just find it hard voicing it) Although I KNOW that I don't know everything, I still put a lot of pressure on myself to do the very best. I wonder if others feel the same?

I worry most about the academic work (especially the research component ) and if I would be able to meet standards. I am hoping that i will be in a supportive cohort and can use each other as our support network.

I was wondering if people would be doing any 'essential reading' before starting the course? I have been told to enjoy this moment, but I also don't want to disadvantage myself in anyway.

Thank you all for your responses. It's really helpful to know that i am not the only one having these anxieties.
Last edited by Fairytale on Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fairytale
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:32 pm

Re: 2020 - Transitioning to the doctorate in Sept

Post by Fairytale » Sun May 31, 2020 10:19 pm

Samays wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 4:06 pm
Thank you for posting this and being honest about your worries, glad to hear I'm not alone! This post went on longer than expected...

Fairytale - I definitely worry about the immense step up from working from home where workload is limited to full-time training both physically and mentally! I've been redeployed to a ward for a couples of days a week and just getting up and leaving the house for a day was exhausting to begin with after working from home for many weeks. I'm trying to prepare for this by structuring my days as much as possible and trying to include long walks in my evenings and weekends to try and build up some physical stamina again (but also being kind to myself when I really don't feel like it). I think COVID or not there would be a massive step up in time-management, self-motivation, cognitive demand etc. so I'm also trying to remind myself that these concerns would exist regardless and are totally normal.

Thankfully my prospective university has issued a statement that they will open as planned in September and teaching will go ahead (which seems a little optimistic considering a number of things could happen between now and then). I had concerns about not being able to meet my cohort face-to-face initially and what this might mean for the many forms of support we could provide each other.

Some other random thoughts I've had (these thoughts haven't bothered me too much mostly because the answers are "who knows" or "we can't know yet", I just thought it might be helpful to share):
Are we going to be a bit of an anomalous cohort in that starting placements in the wake of COVID might impact the rigour of our clinical training and consequently our competencies?
Or anomalous because the interview format was so different to how many courses typically assess candidates?
Will the different demand on services/long waiting lists currently accumulating impact the type/amount of work expected of trainees? (I know we will be heavily protected in this respect, but still a concern. I know my department has been earmarking more assessments than normal for future trainees)
How will I be able to manage working in AMH having worked in ID services for so long? How will I develop skills for future face-to-face working if contact continues to be virtual/over the telephone?
When will I be able to go back to my office and rescue the food I've left in my drawer?

Mostly to quieten my worries, I've tried to focus and build on what qualities and knowledge I have to offer rather than what I lack. Everyone is feeling the uncertainty and I am really looking forward to meeting my cohort, possibly because they will be the core certainty throughout training. Ultimately, I think it's really important to allow ourselves to have time to relax and be happy before the challenges ahead! Well done on the successes everyone. We worked hard for this and were picked for having the qualities we need for what lies ahead.
Samays - I really like your idea of having a structure to your days and including exercise. It think this would be helpful for me too to get the momentum going.

You're so right though. Like you say the step-up would be there regardless.

Thank you for sharing the random thoughts you have been having, especially the one about if we are going to bit of an anomalous cohort - this has crossed my mind too! It definitely doesn't help when you are already prone to imposter syndrome :-D

I think it is important to stay in the moment and just be proud of our success. I have been trying to counteract my critical thoughts by reminding myself that If i've manage to 'convince' them of my abilities/skills/personality over a virtual interview, then I must surely have something valuable to offer to the course/service users/profession/ :oops: and must be 'good enough'

I am really excited to meet my cohort too! I have not yet joined the Facebook group as I wasn't sure how helpful this be and whether it would be better to be 'boundaried' and meet everyone when a virtual meeting has been set up. But at the same time I'm worried that I mightt be missing out on important information? It would be good to hear peoples opinions on this and if you'd recommend joining the group based on your experience.

Fairytale
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:32 pm

Re: 2020 - Transitioning to the doctorate in Sept

Post by Fairytale » Sun May 31, 2020 10:31 pm

Mephistofela wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 9:49 am
I have mixed feelings about it too, but the positive ones outweigh the negative ones so far. It will involve a lot of changes, I will move away from my partner and I think this will be one of the more difficult parts of it, because we've lived together for a few years now. However I'm really looking forward to starting training, it is a really nice feeling that after all of the uncertainty now I have a better idea about how things are going to look like for me in the next few years.
Hello Mephistofela! Ah, i can imagine how difficult it must be to move away from your partner. Hopefully you will form close friendships with the people on your cohort and this will make the change a little easier. Good luck with it all! x

Fairytale
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:32 pm

Re: 2020 - Transitioning to the doctorate in Sept

Post by Fairytale » Sun May 31, 2020 10:36 pm

Aanneett wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 10:49 am
Hi,

This is a very important topic and I also have mixed feelings. Initially, I was planning to buy a house with my partner close to my course. Unfortunately, due to the current circumstances looks like I will be moving alone as my partner cannot resign from his job (been living together for 8 years). My emotions go in waves; I can feel extremely happy and proud of myself, but then the anxiety kicks in and I worry what will happen. I am excited to start the training, but I keep wondering if I will get out as much of it online as I would in 'normal' circumstances.
Hi Aanneett - sounds like it's going to a big change for you to not be able to move with your partner as planned. I'll keep my fingers crossed - hopefully it will all work out for you both once the pandemic is over! sending good wishes your way.

It's a shame that we are starting our training under these circumstances, but hopefully it will be all 'under control' by September and we can resume with face-to-face teaching etc. x

Fairytale
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:32 pm

Re: 2020 - Transitioning to the doctorate in Sept

Post by Fairytale » Sun May 31, 2020 10:49 pm

Drjlh wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:17 pm
I am feeling waves of anxiety at the moment. I am leaving a job I feel I am good at, to return back to 3 years of doctorate life (I have a PhD) with the realisation that I will be constantly assessed for 3 years, and maybe terrible at being a trainee?! I'm a little concerned (ok, very!) about how training will take place during this time, how the teaching will be structured, especially as my clinical experience is quite old now and I've been in a research setting since finishing my PhD.

I guess being worried about change is normal, and the excitement is definitely there! But I think the uncertainty around how things will be in the midst of a global pandemic is also unsettling!
Hey Drjlh - congratulations on successfully completing your first PhD.

I share your anxieties about being terrible at being a trainee, but hopefully we will be more than good enough trainees :oops: and survive the course.I am also worried about how the teaching will be structured etc and if we will have higher caseloads/our placement competencies will change because of the pandemic...there are so many unknowns at this stage.

Fairytale
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:32 pm

Re: 2020 - Transitioning to the doctorate in Sept

Post by Fairytale » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:50 pm

Fairytale wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 10:00 pm
ivy21 wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 8:55 pm
Having accepted a place on the DClin this year, this is something I've been thinking about a lot, and am so glad it has been posted as a thread as I'm really interested to hear others' perspectives!

Personally, I'm feeling so incredibly excited to have the opportunity to start the course, and am really looking forward to meeting my cohort and getting going with the first teaching block, but equally am feeling a little anxious about it. Over the last couple of weeks I've spent a bit of time reflecting on my journey up until this point, and have realised that in an attempt to avoid what I felt would be inevitable disappointment when I was rejected, I hadn't really allowed myself to consider that I might actually be offered a place this year. I'm finding that as the news has started to sink in and I'm allowing myself to think about what training might be like, I feel a real mix of excitement, anticipation and nerves.

I don't think I feel too worried about how the current situation might affect training, although it does feel sad to think I may not have a chance to say a proper goodbye to my team in person before moving away and starting the course. I'm very much of the mindset that 'what will be will be', and although I am aware that my start to training may look a little different to previous years, I trust that the course team will make the necessary adaptations to the programme so that we feel as prepared as possible for our placements. My main anxiety is around how I will manage the transition from AP to trainee CP, and the differing expectations of the role. I'm very aware that as a trainee I'll be needing to juggle academic work with clinical work, and I suppose I just want to do it well - knowing how tough it is to get on to the course, and how much work I feel I've put in to getting here adds a layer of pressure to get it right!! The 'good enough' phrase comes to mind...

As an AP I currently feel a sense of security in the fact that I am 'unqualified' and therefore it feels more acceptable to say that I don't know something, or to not feel 100% confident all the time. I think something that I will need to hold onto and remind myself of is that, despite this change in role and the expectations that I might be placing on myself to be a more competent clinician, it will still be okay to say I don't know and ask for help.

Despite some anxieties, I'm so looking forward to the new challenge, and knowing I'm not in it on my own is something I am very grateful for! Congratulations to everyone who is accepting a place - and the very best of luck!

MASSIVE CONGRATULATIONS to all for securing a place! Our hard work has finally paid off!

Ivy21, I share your anxieties and can related to worries about what training might be like and how it would feel to transition from AP to trainee CP. When I realise that I have got a place, I have moments of panic haha
I was wondering if people would be doing any 'essential reading' before starting the course? I have been told to enjoy this moment, but I also don't want to disadvantage myself in anyway.

Thank you all for your responses. It's really helpful to know that i am not the only one having these anxieties.

User avatar
Samays
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:21 pm

Re: 2020 - Transitioning to the doctorate in Sept

Post by Samays » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:49 pm

Fairytale wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 10:19 pm
I am really excited to meet my cohort too! I have not yet joined the Facebook group as I wasn't sure how helpful this be and whether it would be better to be 'boundaried' and meet everyone when a virtual meeting has been set up. But at the same time I'm worried that I mightt be missing out on important information? It would be good to hear peoples opinions on this and if you'd recommend joining the group based on your experience.
I wasn't sure about joining the group at first but saw that all previous years had a full group and a trainee friend of mine said she set hers up for her year and it was useful. I get what you mean about being boundaried but I know I will be aware of what I post in the group and my profile is very private if anyone were to click on it. I have found it nice to say hello to people and others have shared info they have learnt from the course. People that are moving for the course have been able to discuss that. We've also had little chats about some of the things mentioned throughout this thread. It's mostly got a supportive and excited vibe about it :)

Aanneett
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 10:26 pm

Re: 2020 - Transitioning to the doctorate in Sept

Post by Aanneett » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:24 pm

Fairytale wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 10:36 pm
Aanneett wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 10:49 am
Hi,

This is a very important topic and I also have mixed feelings. Initially, I was planning to buy a house with my partner close to my course. Unfortunately, due to the current circumstances looks like I will be moving alone as my partner cannot resign from his job (been living together for 8 years). My emotions go in waves; I can feel extremely happy and proud of myself, but then the anxiety kicks in and I worry what will happen. I am excited to start the training, but I keep wondering if I will get out as much of it online as I would in 'normal' circumstances.
Hi Aanneett - sounds like it's going to a big change for you to not be able to move with your partner as planned. I'll keep my fingers crossed - hopefully it will all work out for you both once the pandemic is over! sending good wishes your way.

It's a shame that we are starting our training under these circumstances, but hopefully it will be all 'under control' by September and we can resume with face-to-face teaching etc. x
Thank you; really appreciate that. I think more I think about it the more accepting I am of it, and trying to shift my attitude to 'what will happen will happen'.. It's just part of the journey, another adventure. This often goes back to sudden rushes of panic and worry, but hopefully by September things will settle.

I have also asked a few trainees about recommendations in regards to essential reading, but everyone just tells me to relax and enjoy the quiet time before the course starts. I do feel like I would like to brush up on my knowledge..

I have joined the Facebook group for my course and I am happy that I did. Everyone seems very supportive and it's nice to know who will be around us for the next 3 years..

nikkila
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:20 pm

Re: 2020 - Transitioning to the doctorate in Sept

Post by nikkila » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:28 pm

Hi All , Congratulations to everyone. Also feeling anxious and wanted to ask does anybody know how course are planning to run? If it will be online face to face? I know the service i am in currently we have been told the service will be running virtually for well into the foreseeable future which worries me about how placements are going to work :-/ . Would be interested to know if anybody has heard anything?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests