EDINBURGH / GLASGOW 2009

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course
jenscotland

Post by jenscotland » Mon May 11, 2009 2:34 pm

helloimnew wrote:jenscotland - I was hanging about in that waiting room thingy until about 10.45am then went from one interview straight to the other. Were you about before then? I don't know anyone applying to Edinburgh/Glasgow so I'm a loner applicant!

vars - I'm on monday morning too so might well see you there! what a funny world it is. We'll have aggggesss to wait to hear back from Edinburgh since they're interviews go on till next fri :(
I arrived around 10.40am-10.45am so may have just missed you.
My Edinburgh interview is next Wednesday. feels like the waiting will never end! :?

helloimnew

Post by helloimnew » Mon May 11, 2009 2:45 pm

We probably walked right past eachother lol!

Does anyone know what the Edinburgh interview is like? I'm hoping it'll be friendly and easy going. Too much to ask for? :?

vars

Post by vars » Mon May 11, 2009 4:28 pm

I've heard edinburgh interview is not too bad/scary and they are really reassuring before while you are waiting.

What time are you on Monday? I'm 10.15

ilikeblueskies

Post by ilikeblueskies » Mon May 11, 2009 7:39 pm

my personal opinion is that edinburgh were better than glasgow in containing anxieties before the interview. They try to keep the time you are waiting to an absolute minimum and there are rarely more than a couple of interviewees in the room at one time. There will be loads of trainees though and I found that some general chit chat with them was great for distracting me. The interview itself is really short and will be over before you know it. I had 6 people on my panel so that felt a bit daunting but they were all really lovely. I remember there being a question that I just wasnt getting and I felt ok about saying so. Helpfully, they were able to re-word and encourage me to get there...i eventually did! So, I felt Edinburgh tried their hardest to get the best out of me whereas that wasnt my experience with other interviews. Hopefully you will have as good an experience as I did. Goood luck 8)

heatherb

Post by heatherb » Mon May 11, 2009 7:55 pm

Hi I'm glad you found that - yes Glasgow could have made waiting times shorter, as half an hour is a long time to wait between interviews. Having said that it wasn't as horiffic as it could have been.

If I'm not succesful this time round I'm thinking of applying to both Glasgow and Edinburgh next year - it's great news they've got the 10 extra places between the two uni's. Apparently the extras will automatically go straight to the first people on reserve lists.

H

helloimnew

Post by helloimnew » Tue May 12, 2009 11:14 am

vars - I'm 9.25am. Glad to get it over with in the morning :)

Ana

Post by Ana » Tue May 12, 2009 11:24 am

Hi folks,

Just spoke with the programme secretary at Glasgow who confirmed that the letters have been sent today. She said to expect them to arrive either tomorrow or Thursday.

:shock:

jenscotland

Post by jenscotland » Tue May 12, 2009 11:28 am

Eek! I had Thursday in my head, I'm not ready to hear tomorrow!
Thanks for letting us know Ana x

Ana

Post by Ana » Tue May 12, 2009 11:32 am

I know what you mean Jen. I was thinking Thursday/Friday at the very earliest.

The panels must have been busy yesterday finalising decisions! Not feeling very confident now I know the letters are coming soon. The secretary also advised she cannot give out the interview results over the phone.....thought I'd give it a go? :oops:

jenscotland

Post by jenscotland » Tue May 12, 2009 11:34 am

Worth a shot Ana! :D
I feel the same, don't think any of us will sleep well tonight! :?

helloimnew

Post by helloimnew » Tue May 12, 2009 11:40 am

The letters have been sent today! TODAY! :shock:

The question is - do you open the letter even if there is the possibility of a rejection which could put you off for the Edinburgh interview?

Who am I kidding? There's no way I could NOT open it...

urmaserendipity85

Post by urmaserendipity85 » Tue May 12, 2009 4:33 pm

my opinion is it's better to know, and try not to let it affect your performance at your next interview. after all, every uni focuses on something different...
GOOD LUCK!!!

magrat

Post by magrat » Tue May 12, 2009 4:42 pm

Oh, blimmin' heck, tomorrow :?: :shock: Not sure that I'm ready for that!

Oh well, at least we'll know. I'm now going to be checking my email account obsessively - I asked to be emailed as well, as we're having major problems with my post going missing, and I can't cope with a repeat of the 'interview letter' debacle :wink:

vars

Post by vars » Tue May 12, 2009 5:17 pm

eek! Oh my god! Wont be home till Thursday evening so long wait when I know it's there!

untrained_I

Post by untrained_I » Tue May 12, 2009 8:32 pm

What are the extra places? Are they for this year or next year? If he are for this year, does that mean extra on top of the 20 for Glasgow and 30 for Edinburgh that they usually have?

Does anyone know how many people Glasgow interviewed? And how many they tend to put on their reserve lists?