Interview reserve lists - how much do they move?

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course
schizometric

Interview reserve lists - how much do they move?

Post by schizometric » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:14 am

I've just had my letter from South Wales and I'm 4th on the interview reserve list. I know it is impossible to say precisely how much reserve lists move, but does anyone have experience of this from previous years? I'm 22nd on the reserve list for Shrops and Staffs but obviously less hopeful about this one, though both courses interview quite late (11-14th May I think)

My difficulty is that I'm booked on a holiday that runs from the 6th to the 11th of May, and the 11th May is when the first of the interviews are. Feel a bit daft about this I must say, but if there is a good chance I'll be called to interview I probably need to get myself booked on a flight back on the 10th and do some serious prep beforehand just in case :p

Thanks all and good luck with your applications! The wait is over for me now, and not long til it's over for everyone :)
Last edited by schizometric on Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

steve79

Post by steve79 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:29 am

If I were you, id prepare. Being on a reserve list is a great achievement and if they interview late, you have a really good possibility. The south wales one I would consider as a definate and even the staffs one is probable.

good luck

ste :)

schizometric

Post by schizometric » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:42 am

Thanks for the advice steve - it's my first year applying so its all a bit new to me! I think I will prep a lot beforehand and try to enjoy my holiday as best I can :)

escapee

Post by escapee » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:25 am

I wonder if it's worth letting those courses know that you're away on the first day of the interviews so that they don't expect you to be available then?

CatFace

Post by CatFace » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:15 pm

I got on a reserve list for Cov and Warwick, I have no idea what number I am though. Does anyone reckon it's worth emailing the course to ask?

Kari

Post by Kari » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:39 pm

Being a reserve list pro- I'd always say prepare, prepare, prepare! and treat it as though you do have an interview. Speak to the course- tell them you have a holiday and see what they suggest- they can be quite helpful with this sort of thing.

I was on reserve list 2 years in a row- the first year for one interview and was called at a few days notice. I hadn't prepared at all and lets just say it was obvious! The second year- I was on 2 reserve lists (joy!) and after I got over my initial disappointment, I just treated it as though I had the interviews. In the end, I got called up for both (on the same day!) they first offered me an interview for the following day but when I said I was the other end of the country, they gave me one the day after which was great and I got about 2 weeks notice for the other one. I ended up with a reserve place for the first interview and an offer from the second.

reserve lists do turn into offers! :D
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. Dr. Seuss

I used to think that the brain was the most wonderful organ in my body. Then I realized who was telling me this. Emo Phillips

LittleGem

Post by LittleGem » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:49 pm

shreena - I'm on the reserve list for Cov too and rang them yesterday to ask where I was on the list. Apparently they haven't ranked them yet - think they said they'll be doing it next week sometime.

schizometric

Post by schizometric » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:11 pm

Wow, thanks Kari - that's really useful (and inspiring!!) to know :D I'll give the courses a ring to let them know and prepare before I go away (then attempt to chill on holiday!). Whereabouts were you in the reserve lists if you don't mind me asking? I'm less hopeful for Shrops & Staffs, being 22nd, but I guess you never know :)

JudyInCanada

Post by JudyInCanada » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:21 pm

Anybody else on the Oxford reserve list? Or been on it before?
I know it has some of the earlier interview dates, so not sure how many people will cancel.
I am in Canada so have some deciding to do!

red_llamas

Post by red_llamas » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:40 pm

Hiya

Just for interest....

I was on the Liverpool reserve list and thought I had no chance as they are the very first interviews.

However, I have just had a call today inviting me along next week :D :D so miracles can happen.....

Good luck

Kari

Post by Kari » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:25 pm

schizometric wrote:Wow, thanks Kari - that's really useful (and inspiring!!) to know :D I'll give the courses a ring to let them know and prepare before I go away (then attempt to chill on holiday!). Whereabouts were you in the reserve lists if you don't mind me asking? I'm less hopeful for Shrops & Staffs, being 22nd, but I guess you never know :)
I was on the Leeds and Edinburgh reserve. I think for Leeds I was told the reserve was split into thirds and I was in the middle third (I think! I can't really remember). Edinburgh didn't give out any info about the reserve list but I must've been fairly high since I got so much notice.

One year, I think 2007, Teeside went right through their reserve list- so everyone got called up- so no matter where you are, you do have a chance.

And, as someone else said- to get on the reserve list is an achievement in itself- a very frustrating one but still it's difficult enough to get that far.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. Dr. Seuss

I used to think that the brain was the most wonderful organ in my body. Then I realized who was telling me this. Emo Phillips

schizometric

Post by schizometric » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:35 pm

Congrats red_llama! This is turning out to be a very inspiring thread :)

red_llamas

Post by red_llamas » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:56 am

Thank you!!!

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:42 pm

I've been informed that I'm on the reserve list for Edinburgh. Can't help feeling a little disheartened!

Pettie

Post by Pettie » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:22 pm

I was on the reserve list at Salomons this year but although high, I was not holding out much hope as I think they are the second uni to interview. However, I had a lovely call on Tuesday (my birthday :D ) inviting me to interview as someone had dropped out. So you never know!!! Good luck!