Panic!

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course
abc

Panic!

Post by abc » Thu May 21, 2009 1:49 pm

HI

I've been offered a place and I've accepted. But now I get panicy any time I think about it. Can I cope with the demands of the course? Am I ready? Have they made a mistake in choosing me? And then I worry about the fact I need to move for the course - am I brave enough to do this?

I'm just wondering if I'm the only one feeling like this. Before interviews I was very much of the mind set that yes, I am ready and capable. Now, I can't help but panic about it all. is it just me?

xxx

jenscotland

Post by jenscotland » Thu May 21, 2009 2:02 pm

Firstly congrats on being offered a place! :D
I can't talk from experience as I'm till waiting to hear the outcome for me :roll: but I've read a lot on here from people who have felt the same as you - 'imposter syndrome' seems to be common to new trainees!

Just remember you wouldn't have been offered a place if the course staff didn't think you were fully capable so try not to panic and have a damn good celebration instead! :D

choirgirl

Post by choirgirl » Thu May 21, 2009 2:34 pm

Here's the link to almost exactly the same type of worries as yours from last year's cohort :wink: - contains the references which jenscotland mentions to "Imposter Syndrome". Don't worry, you're definitely not alone (nor even in a minority, it would appear :lol: ) - I hope this helps a bit to 'normalise' the feelings you're experiencing.

Well done on your success :D
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." - Red Auerbach

urmaserendipity85

Post by urmaserendipity85 » Thu May 21, 2009 2:51 pm

Hi ABC,
I know exactly how you're feeling - ever since I realised how competitive the DClinPsy was I just focused on preparing for interview - getting volunteer experience, the first AP post, the 2nd, and then the applying process. I always thought that once you were on, the hard part was over. Only about 6 months ago did I think - hang on, we have 3 years of hard work after that!
I worry about the demands of the course and that I won't be able to cope. But having said that, if you can cope with the pressure of getting relevent experience, fewer AP posts since AfC came in (in my area anyway), trying to make yourself stand out compared to other APs, RAs etc, and all the while knowing that your current contract is only for 6 months and you'll be out of a job unless you start looking again just 3 or 4 months after starting your current post - if you can cope with that I think we'll manage! It's not designed to be easy, hence the hoops you have to jump through, but Jen is right - courses have enough experience to know by now who they're looking for, and will be able to spot the kind of people who won't cope. They'll also be able to spot if you're bluffing/waffling in the interview. So if you have a place, you obviously know your stuff!
It's natural to doubt yourself - and I think that's the sign of a good CP, being reflective blah blah blah - just remember that they have picked you above 85% of other applicants for a reason!
Plus I hear that the cohorts are all really nice - people who are CPs are often quite similar so they'll all be lovely! It'll be a nice supportive network to rely on there. I'm also moving away for the course (500 miles) and am pretty anxious about it too as I've never moved by myself before but am just planning on living centrally, and hopefully with another new/existing trainee to build up my social network.
As far as I know everyone is really supportive, and what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!
x

Chalice

Post by Chalice » Thu May 21, 2009 8:57 pm

I very much echo what the poster above me said.

I think your feelings are absolutely normal and I can certainly empathize with what you're experiencing! Change is usually at least a little bit unsettling, but rather than worry about the difficult bits, I'm trying to think about all the good bits (good teaching, learning new stuff, new supervisors etc.).

I myself have started to worry whether I'll be able to cope emotionally and with all the pressure, but it has helped to remind myself that there are a lot of support systems and the courses aren't set up for us to fail.

I think the bit about your cohort is really good - there will be plenty of other people who are going through exactly the same thing, so I find that quite comforting.

Good luck and congratulations on your place!
------------------

You Don't Have To Be Great To Be Great

othello

Post by othello » Thu May 21, 2009 10:37 pm

As someone who started the course this year the 'imposter syndrome' is still going strong!... I think you do (or at least I do) continue to have little moments of panic and worry about whether you are able for things or will cope, but the truth is that practically everyone does and when the time comes to do things you just get on with it and wonder what you were worrying about after! Remember they wouldnt have selected you if they didnt think you were able!

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Fri May 22, 2009 8:30 am

Although I am stressed about starting the course and the demands of it, I also see it as a bit of a relief to be off the merry-go-round of applications - trying to get good/ more experience, considering further study to strengthen application forms etc.

I think as an Assistant, you're constantly trying to do as much as possible in order to appear competent when you apply for training. I'm hoping that in the initial stages of training and placements, it'll be ok to say you're finding things hard. I was always reluctant to do that as an Assistant, as I felt like I had to be perfect in every competency to even stand a chance of getting on a course. Now I'm hoping that's not the case, but I'm sure current trainees can correct me if I'm way off the mark!

abc

Post by abc » Fri May 22, 2009 8:53 am

Thanks guys. Its good to know I'm not the only one!

astra

Post by astra » Fri May 22, 2009 12:18 pm

it's normal and I've spoken to lots of qualified people with the same worries! I still have moments myself. Interestingly I'm just sorting my office out at home and I just found a reflective log book I started when I started training in 2003 and the first page was all about those fears - Will I cope with the workload, will I cope on placement, will I cope with the academic work, am I clever enough, will my daughter be OK, will I be OK and will the rest of my cohort like me?????. Well, I got through it, I passed, my daughter still seems to think I'm an ok parent and I have sustained a few lasting friendships with fellow former trainees.

the fears are normal but the dropout and failure rate is very low so hopefully you can feel reassured and focus your mind on the far more important business of buying stationery, work clothes, bags. . . Good luck and congratulations!

yellowtwizz

Post by yellowtwizz » Fri May 22, 2009 5:27 pm

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one too. I've been feeling quite panicky for a while and then guilty for not being excited enough when there are so many people wanting to get on. Its reasurring that others have the same worries and anxieties. I'd rather I could start the course sooner because I'm sure some of them will dissapear when you meet the rest of your cohort but September seems so far away! (...i'm sure it'll be here before i know it).

I'm sure we'll all be fine but good luck any way :wink: