time off before starting course?

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course
vars

time off before starting course?

Post by vars » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:12 pm

hello

What are people doing before strating the course? I'll be starting 5th october and my contract at current job ends the friday before this. I'm getting married in august ( :D !!) and am thinking we could have honeymoon in september then take rest of september off before starting

Is it normal to take a bit of time off before starting?

astra

Post by astra » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:32 pm

If you can, go for it! No reason why not.

othello

Post by othello » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:00 am

Do if you can, it gets busy pretty quickly! I took three weeks off and I'm glad I did!

Ps. congrats on getting married!

Phox

Post by Phox » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:22 am

I think I will be able to take a week off beofre the course. Most people have advised me to try to take at least a week, 2 if possible, so if you can take all of September off that would be brilliant. Give yourself a nice well earned rest. Not sure whether to go away or just take it easy at home trying to set up a desk in my one bed flat.
I'm so excited about starting now!

Tiger

Post by Tiger » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:13 pm

Our's starts on 28th Sept, and my last day working will be 28th August. My nice manager has let me take 2 weeks A/L at the end of my contract so I'll be paid until Sept 11th.

During that month I want to take a last minute holiday in the sun somewhere, and move house! I'm gonna be so broke starting the course..!

eponymous85

Post by eponymous85 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:55 pm

I've got 1 wk annual leave booked and am thinking of handing my notice in early so I can get another week. Might convince the Boyf to pay for that months rent out of his student loan.

Congrats again on the wedding vars :) we are getting married summer 2011 so might do some wedding planning in my time off. Where are you guys going on your honeymoon?
The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by any invader. The mind is a complex and many layered thing.

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:01 pm

Hi,
I'm getting married on 1st August and will be relocating for the course before starting on 14th Sept. I've decided to leave work at the end of July but my last 1.5 weeks will be taken as annual leave so I'm actually having about 7 weeks off over the summer!!
If you work for the NHS it's worth thinking about your annual leave allowance; if I'd gone back to work after the wedding and honeymoon I'd have needed to take 2 weeks of unpaid leave in August and then only returned to work for 2 weeks before leaving. We decided that having the whole summer off to relax and move would be nicer :-)
Hope it all goes well for you!

Moonlight

Post by Moonlight » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:44 am

I'm a bit like you Sponge, I worked out how much annual leave I need to take this summer, and it's more than I will be due if I leave just a few weeks before the course. So, I've decided to leave in mid-July, giving me 9 weeks off!

I am planning on cheap holidays, camping etc, and day-time TV, as well as sorting myself some work space. I aim to be thoroughly relaxed and bored by the time I start on 28th September! :D

red_llamas

Post by red_llamas » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:47 am

Hey, I've actually been saving for a while so am off travelling this summer!!

Figured it would be the last chance for a proper break for the next three years so am doing it in style!

Bit scary that I won't be getting paid for a few months and get back and have to find somewhere to live and move there in a v short space of time, but I'm sure it will be fine.

Lil_Angel

Post by Lil_Angel » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:44 am

I'm very similar to a few of you guys as I'm getting married on 9th August! Finishing up end of July but will get paid some of August as I have a/l to take. Won't have much left over after wedding to spend on course prep but can hopefully treat myself when first pay comes in October :D

Congrats Sponge, vars & eponymous!

x
We'll be friends until we are old and senile... Then we'll be new friends

eponymous85

Post by eponymous85 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:59 am

Gosh, so many of us getting married! I'm going to look at & hopefully book a venue in a few weeks, very excited! :D

Hopefully a current trainee will look at this thread at some point - what are courses like about paying you on time the first month? Every job I've ever had in the NHS has been a big let down in this respect, and I'm just trying to figure out my finances.
The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by any invader. The mind is a complex and many layered thing.

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:08 am

Have fun booking your venue- we've booked everything in the last 7 weeks as only got engaged at easter so I'm impressed with your planning!
The Liverpool letter has already warned us that we won't get paid until the end of October because we're starting after the September cut off date. Although it's going to be hard at least they've given us plenty of time to save a little extra to help through September!

eponymous85

Post by eponymous85 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:14 am

7 weeks!! You're brave! Although I think if my mum and mother-in-law-to-be had their way we'd be getting married tomorrow :lol: they went a bit nuts when we got engaged so we've had to slow them down a bit!

My partner's also on a professional training course so we've had to find a time when we're both free, in the country, not on placement, and not writing up theses! It'll be fun taking the time to plan it though. Hope you all have lovely weddings!

(I apologise for turning this into another wedding thread, and for the amount of exclamation marks in this post...)

vars

Post by vars » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:19 am

That's okay I love wedding talk!

Congrats everyone!

I think I will take September as will want some time together as my placements are not where we live! We cant sell our flat for another year as we're tied in to fixed rate mortgage but after a year we'll move halfway between where we both work!

exciting!!!! :D

Lil_Angel

Post by Lil_Angel » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:08 am

Oooh I love wedding talk! eponymous I know what you mean about mum & mum-in-laws going a bit crazy, think I'm going to have to dig out the mental health handbook and use some of the assertiveness stuff for myself :oops:
We'll be friends until we are old and senile... Then we'll be new friends