time off before starting course?

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course
urmaserendipity85

Post by urmaserendipity85 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:52 am

I'm taking the whole of sept off - ditto tiger I finish on 28th August. Have been saving to try and make sure I have 1 month's salary so that I can actually live until the 1st pay cheque comes through. My current manager has also been brilliant and arranged for me to take A/L (although I only have 6 days left) at first and unpaid after. My contract is therefore not due to finish until the day before my course starts so I won't have a break in service.

Only obstacle left is trying to convince the other half why I need a month off - he seems to think I'll get bored, need to borrow money from him blah blah blah. Never mind the fact that probably the next time I am able to take more than 2 weeks off I will probably be on maternity leave or similar, I've worked my socks off to get on the course so deserve a break, will have saved enough money to not borrow from him, and will be moving 500 miles away so will need some time to settle in and find my way around. Have I convinced him? Not a chance!

Now I just tell him it's none of his business! Men!

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:23 pm

We've been really fortunate as everywhere we wanted was available for the date. Husband to be is a teacher so it had to be in the school holidays and it's turned into perfect timing with me getting on a course as we'll be moving in together after the wedding (and hoping he finds a job there!)
Both Mum's have been lovely, my mum's been very excited about helping with planning which is good becuase the wedding's back at home so 250 miles from where we live at the moment- I just give her a list of polite requests! :D

I think this is the perfect summer for having a long break, for weddings or travelling! It'll be 3 years before we get the chance again.

I don't think the break of service matters, as long as it's not very long they don't count it as breaking continuous NHS service for pension, annual leave etc.